PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Akers is out for the season, perfect trade destination for Michel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is forking out a 1st round pick for Sony.

He is not Nick Chubb.

I witnessed Sony yanked from games in 2020 because he would hit the line of scrimmage and stop unable to move the ball forward. James White replaced Sony and gained positive run yardage. Same OL versus the same defense. Harris has clearly taken Sonys top place on the depth chart after being dressed for only 10 games.

I would be concerned losing Harris, but not Sony.

He averaged 5.7 yards per carry last year.. people are WAY too harsh on Sony, simply because he's a first round pick that didn't pan out into the next Barry Sanders

He's a serviceable back to have in the stable, on the final year of his rookie deal which makes it economical and also has the added benefit of Sony playing for his next contract

He has great value on our roster for 2021, so unless you can get great value in a trade there would be no sense in trading him.. and the idea some have had of cutting him is absurd, that's not even worthy of a conversation

A favorite, not necessarily THE favorite. Best overall defense in the NFL last year (#1 in yards, points, passing yards, and 3rd in rushing yards allowed). Plus a likely upgrade at QB. Remember they actually beat Tampa Bay last year in the regular season so it's not like they can't hang with them. Would I bet against the Bucs returning to the SB? No, but it's not outlandish to think the Rams are a legit contender there too.

The minute Sony Michel is gone everyone will think of him like they do Laurence Maroney (and I don’t think he is even as good as Maroney). He gets defended on here like he is related to half of the posters. He is a dime a dozen guy. A late rounder/UDFA can do what Sony does. I think he makes the roster but I would not be shocked in the least bit if they cut him at some point this year.

The minute Sony Michel is gone everyone will think of him like they do Laurence Maroney (and I don’t think he is even as good as Maroney). He gets defended on here like he is related to half of the posters. He is a dime a dozen guy. A late rounder/UDFA can do what Sony does. I think he makes the roster but I would not be shocked in the least bit if they cut him at some point this year.
Pretty much. Both players were injuries waiting to happen, were reasonably productive in the regular season and had some good games in the playoffs.

I think Sony was the better runner. Different styles but both had their flaws.

He's an NFL running back, they all depreciate in value faster than any other position
So, the Browns have Chubb and Hunt.

Youre the Rams and Chubb wants out of Cleveland. You would not spend a 1st round pick for him? I would every day of the week.

The Home Boys like to over value every NE player.

Were you around here when they wanted to trade away Rohan Davey for a 1st pick?

Last year in 8 games Sony ran for 449 yards at 5.7 yards per carry. That equates to 900 yards in 16 games. That really isn't too bad for a running back who splits time with 3 other running backs.

I remember some on this board wanted J Jones gone because they drafted J Williams.

It would be idiotic for a team predicated on running the ball to deplete it’s RB position. If Harris goes down and Stevenson isn’t any good, then what?

For 2021 I’d rather keep Sony then Bolden
Agree! I don't know why so many people want to ship Michel out now. He's going to be the backup to Harris, but even last year he showed its worth having a starting-caliber RB on the bench. We don't have to bring him back in '22, but until Stevenson gets acclimated and tested, we can't be left surprised with JJ and White all year. (and I liked Bolden, but his time has run out)

I remember some on this board wanted J Jones gone because they drafted J Williams.

It would be idiotic for a team predicated on running the ball to deplete it’s RB position. If Harris goes down and Stevenson isn’t any good, then what?

And it doesn't even have to be as drastic as Stevenson not being any good. Even he's just not ready to be good at the start of this year, there's value in keeping Sony for the 30-35% of the snaps he'd take at RB. Harris barely played his rookie year, same with James White. Backs taken in the mid rounds on this team tend to be eased into things.

The Home Boys like to over value every NE player.

Were you around here when they wanted to trade away Rohan Davey for a 1st pick?
The guy is a complete JAG and people love to cherry pick stats and then multiply them to claim he is a good player. A first round running back who has never hit 1000 yards rushing, lost his job in year 3, and is injury prone. On top of that he does nothing that makes him special. He isn't fast, he isn't elusive, he doesn't run people over, he offers nothing as a pass catcher, and he is nothing close to a home run threat. He isn't even as productive as JAGs like Blount and BJGE. I would take both those guys over Sony all things considered.

The guy is a complete JAG and people love to cherry pick stats and then multiply them to claim he is a good player. A first round running back who has never hit 1000 yards rushing, lost his job in year 3, and is injury prone. On top of that he does nothing that makes him special. He isn't fast, he isn't elusive, he doesn't run people over, he offers nothing as a pass catcher, and he is nothing close to a home run threat. He isn't even as productive as JAGs like Blount and BJGE. I would take both those guys over Sony all things considered.
The only thing any of this really shows is Michel shouldn't be counted on as the primary back. It doesn't mean he's a completely useless player. Not all 53 players can be stars.

The only thing any of this really shows is Michel shouldn't be counted on as the primary back. It doesn't mean he's a completely useless player. Not all 53 players can be stars.
I completely agree with you and on that part. I am not saying he isn't one of our 53 best players and should be cut necessarily I am just saying he isn't some stud who should be looked at as a big contributor going forward. As long as Stevenson doesn't get a red shirt year I definitely think it will be a three man rotation for the non passing back role. Considering both Harris's and Sony's injury history it's not a bad thing to keep Sony but I do think if Sony went down for the season his production could be replaced by any one of a dozen street free agents who would be available.

I completely agree with you and on that part. I am not saying he isn't one of our 53 best players and should be cut necessarily I am just saying he isn't some stud who should be looked at as a big contributor going forward. As long as Stevenson doesn't get a red shirt year I definitely think it will be a three man rotation for the non passing back role. Considering both Harris's and Sony's injury history it's not a bad thing to keep Sony but I do think if Sony went down for the season his production could be replaced by any one of a dozen street free agents who would be available.
Sony can pass protect. Stevenson likely has a lot to learn. I doubt we see Stevenson at all this year.

Michel and Harris will likely split time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference