PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 5 weeks: what's our impression of the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah...well that's a real hoot..."he's throwing to his left"...well, I watch every Jets game intently and he DOES throw to his left on occasion..over 90% of the time it's incomplete and poorly thrown, with a few near INT's thrown in.His game is all middle of the field to the right side.

He's throwing to his left with a ton more success than he did last year. Did you watch the Minnesota game? Not that I would take everything that Monday night crew says about him seriously, because I think Jaws is constantly on his knees when it comes to Sanchez, but one thing they did do a highlight of that I agreed with was his improved ability to throw to the left in that game as well as the other games this season. Last season, he was terrible at it. And that's putting it lightly. He's improved a lot over the course of this season.

They are the best team in the AFC right now, and it sucks to have to say that. They are winning games the way the Patriots did in the past (think 03-04) with game clinching drives and big defensive plays. They put the Pats to bed with ease in the second half, they demoralized Miami with a long game clinching drive in the fourth quarter, and they beat Minnesota with a huge interception for a touchdown.
How can one honestly look at their schedule and see them losing more than one or two more games? Maybe @ PIT and/or @ NE. That gives them a 14-2 or 13-3 record. People say "oh, Sanchez will start sucking" or "Tomlinson will break down", that's BS. Nothing they have done this season lends any truth to those statements. By the same token, folks could say similar things about the Patriots. Someone in the NFL needs to find a way to handle that overload blitz...

They are the best team in the AFC right now, and it sucks to have to say that. They are winning games the way the Patriots did in the past (think 03-04) with game clinching drives and big defensive plays. They put the Pats to bed with ease in the second half, they demoralized Miami with a long game clinching drive in the fourth quarter, and they beat Minnesota with a huge interception for a touchdown.
How can one honestly look at their schedule and see them losing more than one or two more games? Maybe @ PIT and/or @ NE. That gives them a 14-2 or 13-3 record. People say "oh, Sanchez will start sucking" or "Tomlinson will break down", that's BS. Nothing they have done this season lends any truth to those statements. By the same token, folks could say similar things about the Patriots. Someone in the NFL needs to find a way to handle that overload blitz...
I dare u to insult the 03 & 04 teams like that.

As I remember, we handled the overload blitz pretty well... even on the left side of our line. It was our quarterback forcing the issue to a receiver whose head didn't look like it was in the game and then making bad throws otherwise that cost us that game.

The Jets will either dominate or implode and have a hard time reaching the playoffs. There seems to be no possibility of a middle ground with that team. I think they lack discipline, and that might be their downfall. All out blitz on third and 17 while winning by 12 points against a team that hasn't moved the ball all game? These things can lose you a football game, and this Rex Ryan "no letting off" mentality may cost them eventually.

I thought they were a good team at the beginning of the season and still believe that. Too determine whether they are an elite team should be determined by the time they come to Foxborough. I still think they are bound to hit a few speed bumps during the season and teams will start to devise ways to fluster Sanchez.This will decide if they are worthy of being considered 'elite' or not.

I've been told they may have the worst offense in football:rolleyes:

Best team in the league right now. Gonna be Jets, Stealers or Ravens winning the SB this season. I don't see an NFC team even competing in Dallas.

Best team in the league right now. Gonna be Jets, Stealers or Ravens winning the SB this season. I don't see an NFC team even competing in Dallas.

I will humbly add my Pats also as one of the teams that can win the SB this season.

So can the other teams. :)

Way too early to predict the SB winners.

Last edited:

They are what the preseason hype projected them to be - a good to very good team with better than expected production from LT and Mark Sanchez. IMO, they will be a tough out in the playoffs.

By no means may they have "the league's worst offense".

I can say with certainty that the Edwards/Holmes Combo is one of the best in the league,if not at the top in terms of players able to catch anywhere on the field both short and deep
...I would think that once those 2 have played together and add in Keller who is a shining star at TE you have an incredibly tough offense to handle

Not to mention that Sanchez in 1 year has gone from Mr. INT to a near perfectionist on where to throw the ball to in safe areas.

Last edited:
I've been told they may have the worst offense in football:rolleyes:

Wow. That's absolutely ******ed. Even before Sanchez came on, I certainly wouldn't have said that they had the worst offense in football. The run offense all by itself certainly would assure that.

Last edited:
Wow. That's absolutely ******ed. Even before Sanchez came on, I certainly wouldn't have said that they had the worst offense in football. The run offense all by itself certainly would assure that.

AJ said that

He is always right :rolleyes:

I think Jaws is constantly on his knees when it comes to Sanchez

Ugh. I can't stand most announcers' constant need to fellate either a) media darlings (e.g. Sanchez and Farve) or b) any player that is tangentially involved in a successful play.

I think the straw that really broke the camel's back was the Monday night game against the Dolphins when either Jaws or Gruden was all over Richie friggin' Incognito who is the very definition of a pedestrian player and who was rather ignominiously jettisoned from the Rams after committing two 15 yard personal foul penalties and getting in a verbal altercation with Spagnuolo.

They are a lot better than I expected.

Sanchez is better than I expected. He has far more confidence than he showed in the preseason. Although he still makes a lot of stupid decisions they haven't cost them.

LT definitely is a lot better than anyone expected. He isn't what he was in his hey day, but pretty good none the less. Wonder if he can keep it up all season, but right now he is one of the best free agent pick ups this offseason.

Jason Taylor is as good as I expected, not spectacular but solid. He is still better suited for a back up role, but hasn't been a liability and has made some good plays

Cromartie is what I expected - boom or bust. If he could go up against Moss or Lee Evans (who probably was shut down by Ryan Fitzpatrick as much as Cromartie) every week, he will be a Pro Bowler. Unfortunately for him, he still can get beaten like a rented mule by other WRs like Brandon Marshall (his only good game this year came against Cromartie and he would probably have had more catches if he didn't burnout in the Miami heat at the end of the game), Anquan Boldin, and Derrick Mason.

Before Monday night, I was going to say Braylon Edwards has finally started to show that he can actually catch the ball, but Monday might have changed my mind.

Dustin Keller is finally starting to live up to his promise. Before this year he has been far more hype than production. This year so far, he has almost been as go to as Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark.

I would still be worried about Rex's in game coaching. His handling of clock management in the game Monday night was probably on Herm Edwards level. Throwing on second down while protecting a lead with the opposing team out of time outs with about 2:30 left in the game?

Their o-line is still solid against the run, but still up and down against the pass. D'Brickishaw Ferguson is hard to figure out because he has played poorly against some bad competition at times and then totally owned Jared Allen Monday night. Damien Woody has struggled at time too.

Kyle Wilson has been a disapointment. I think Slauson has played better than expected, but still has issues. Shonn Greene hasn't been as good as the Jets wanted, but luckily for the Jets they don't need him to be with LT. The Jets haven't missed Kris Jenkins again this year thus far.

Overall, the Jets need to be considered an elite team over 5 weeks. That said it is early.

Cousins,
We laughed at the Jets because of their lavish pick ups. Getting rid of Jones was a pre-season glaring mistake? Not now. I think LT with a chip is as good or better than expected. Of course the posters here are "We would not want LT. He is done.Look at all the valuable Draft choices we stock pile.Why do we need key F.A. or trades?". Or the famous idiot come back here in this forum...."Pass!". Just like Dillon was done I submit.

I think Santonio Holmes was steal for a throw-a-way fifth and our F.O. was sleeping as usual when these deals come down the pike (see Bolden, Wimbley, Carriker with more tackles than any of our vaunted D-Line, Gocong who is starting and playing solid for the Browns, Brandon Marshall who will lead the league in receptions this year you can mark that down and with an inconsistent QB AND boy couldn't we have used him now Let's see...Branch or Marshall??....., etc.).

We giggle at Cromartie but Cousins, he is playing very well and better than any DB we own, so was he worth a shot? Yep. Argue all you want but it is a fail on your part if you say he was not worth it.

Keller is a key with them and Sanchez' security blanket. Key on him and he is like taking Clark away from Peyton. Their success rate drops.

The key to their defense is not Cromartie, and injured Revis, Bart Scott etc. To me it is that little pest Jim Leonhard.He makes that Defense sing. Match up actual talent with the Pats at each position and after Revis and Harris a very talented Cromartie, we have as much talent on paper with Wilfork, Mayo kind of balancing it out. The big thing is defensive scheme. They are not that more talented. They are ten times more aggressive. The Pats defense plays not to lose. The Jets defense plays to dominate. We can out Offense them I am sure. The difference between the Teams is we play a scared defense. Rex plays a defense that has swagger to make up for mediocre talent. Dallas at 1 win and 4 losses and the Vikings as well, have way more talent on defense that the Jets.
We have some capable young talent and maybe even faster than the Jets. We have a defense with training wheels on. The Pats can emulate the Jets and Ravens who took a page out of the 2003 and 2004 Patriots. That is why the Jets Defense is rated #1. I don't like Rex but my hats off to the way he plays Defense.

The Steelers are of the same talent as the Jets. Play the same aggressive style and are at the top again with no offense. Why? Scheme.

Rex coach our defense? Would we be better?.....yep!

In this early season, were the Jets pick up's stupid? No.We are the ones who screwed up by not looking twice. Yes, they have made some decent Draft picks in Revis, Greene, Ferguson, Mangold and Harris, but the rest of their Team core are trades and solid FA pick ups. That is one thing we used to do well (see our SB rosters) and now we can't make a trade unless we get taken to the cleaners either coming or going. That my Cousins, is a lax FO issue.

Love all those Draft choices that have a 17% success factor though. We rave at last years Draft class. Let's face it, Vollmer and Chung (perhaps Tate and Edelman but we were desperate for another WR this week so that speaks volumes?)look like the only non JAG components. This years class is still too early. Hernandez and Gronk seem above JAG status. McCorty and Spikes are incompletes. So lets say five work out (above replaceable JAGS) in these two years of Drafts in the years to come. That is good news. Some of these guys are pretty good but.....Our R.O.I (return on investment) is above league average and over 20 percentile range of success with all of these stock piled choices......Big woop!

My point is the Jets did not rely on Draft choices alone.Took a chance on some we used to take a shot with like a Corey Dillon and Rodney, and changed their defensive culture with mediocre talent. Cousins...I hate to say it. The difference is portly Rex. Don't like his mouth but his players have to back up the crap he doles out. It works...for now.
DW Toys

Last edited:
For Christ's sake, Adam Carriker is not a good player.

As Ben Affleck would say, "Get that through your head!"

The fact that you are knocking the 09 and 10 draft classes only reaffirms what I've known for a long, long time: your posts are good for entertainment purposes, but that's about it.

Last edited:
This is a far cry from the Jets suck thread.

What say you Andy Johnson?

I see the Jets D as less then I expected (injuries mite factor in here) and the O as more then I ever expected, very surprised by the excellent play of Sanchez and LDT.

The schedule gets a little easier from here. I expect the Jets to win the AFCE.

I was especially blown away by the superlative play of Mark Sanchez in the last game where he confidently led the Jets to FIVE field goals with starting LOS 1st downs inside the 50 yard...especially that unbelievably orchestrated FG score where the Jets started on the Vikes 17 yard line.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=301011020

Last edited:
This is a far cry from the Jets suck thread.

What say you Andy Johnson?

I see the Jets D as less then I expected (injuries mite factor in here) and the O as more then I ever expected, very surprised by the excellent play of Sanchez and LDT.

The schedule gets a little easier from here. I expect the Jets to win the AFCE.

I expect the Patriots to defeat the Jets in our next game and torpedo your plans for conference dominance. So there.

I was especially blown away by the superlative play of Mark Sanchez in the last game where he confidently led the Jets to FIVE field goals with starting LOS 1st downs inside the 50 yard...especially that unbelievably orchestrated FG score where the Jets started on the Vikes 17 yard line.

Nobody is saying that the guy is a Pro Bowler. He still has a lot of work to do. But to deny that he's improved is like denying that the sky is blue.

yeah...OK...now you're telling me what to think and and insinuating I'm a total "blue sky" moron...right...got it Mr. Casserly's Colon Cleaner...I notice you zipped your big mouth when it came out I was right and you were a HUGE D!CK about Casserly's credibility. Stick your opinions of my views where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe