PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 5 weeks: what's our impression of the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Looking for an honest opinion, not a reactionary homer thread.

Me, I'm surprised that they're 4-1, but they've played like an elite team. Color me shocked. The bottom line is, Sanchez has played like a borderline pro-bowler, the run game didn't miss a beat after replacing Jones/Washington with LT, the defense has been a top 10 unit even without Jenkins, Revis and Pace, and Ryan has proven to be a competent coach who is willing to admit to and learn from mistakes.

Just saying, the Jets look to be for real. I think the Patriots are for real too. I think the Jets, Pats, Ravens and Steelers are the 4 best teams in the NFL.

Is anyone else here willing to acknowledge the Jets are a very good team?

After 5 weeks, it's way too early for me to be making any bold statements.

They've only beaten one team with a winning record, us.

But yes, their first 5 weeks have surprised me. Sanchez and LT, especially.

Last edited:
They've been playing great but I think they come back to earth. I pointed out in another thread that Sanchez has yet to throw a pick this year, that's not going to happen all year. Plus, LT has been injury prone. With the amount they've been relying on him I don't see him lasting the entire year. And we'll see how LT does once the weather turns frightful.

Never thought LT would turn out like this. Now we have to wait and see he can sustain it for the rest of the season. As for the other talents in that team, they are really playing well at this time, but like LT will have to wait and watch.

So far, they have done pretty good :eek:

They are a very good football team.I still take the vikings win as a good win.I wish we could blitz like them.:rolleyes:

I still get the feeling that the jets will take the division.I hope i am wrong but their defense is just better then ours now.Defense wins game.

I have a bold impression of the jets... THEY STILL SUCK!!

Fairly impressed with the Jets. That said I don't think their D is remotely close to being as good as it was last year. You can put up points on them.

Looking for an honest opinion, not a reactionary homer thread.

Me, I'm surprised that they're 4-1, but they've played like an elite team. Color me shocked. The bottom line is, Sanchez has played like a borderline pro-bowler, the run game didn't miss a beat after replacing Jones/Washington with LT, the defense has been a top 10 unit even without Jenkins, Revis and Pace, and Ryan has proven to be a competent coach who is willing to admit to and learn from mistakes.

Just saying, the Jets look to be for real. I think the Patriots are for real too. I think the Jets, Pats, Ravens and Steelers are the 4 best teams in the NFL.

Is anyone else here willing to acknowledge the Jets are a very good team?

I am a bit surprised they are 4-1 but to say they played like an elite team is a bit much to me. The run game was good, passing game was good, overall they played good. Minnesota beat themselves in that game, fumbling twice back to back, and EVEN got the chance to drive down and kick a field goal in the end. Revis was getting blasted all night by Percy Harvin, and that says ALOT. Not taking anything away from Harvin, but if a Revis can't cover a second year man he should not be considered the greatest CB in the league. The defense this year is NOT like last years defense, although still good and a formidable threat, they are giving up more run and pass yards than ever, which leaves some wiggle room. Still probably a top 10, though. It's only week 5, but I am sure we will see the true colors of them in week 10, maybe they are one of the best teams in the NFL right now, Steelers has yet to be seen, Ravens lost to Bengals so it's all up in the air right now but the Patriots are NOT in the top 4,yet alone 5. I don't know how you can include us after you haven't seen what we can do without Randy Moss.

I have a bold impression of the jets... THEY STILL SUCK!!
They don't suck, they are annoying, but their Left Guard sucks, and Mark Brunell could be playing QB for them soon enough.

Fairly impressed with the Jets. That said I don't think their D is remotely close to being as good as it was last year. You can put up points on them.

i think they will miss jenkins.

but i do agree with you that you can move the ball on the jets D. The vikings did it, and i think the pats can too.

I am not surprised and did expect them to do well in the first half at least. Hopefully they reverse the trend in the second. :)

Mr. Tomlinson - let me see how Mr. classy performs starting mid Nov.

Impressive their D does not seem to miss Revis & Jenkins that much.

I was more surprised by the manner in which experienced posters here dismissed Sanchez and not wanting to wait to see how he has changed before slamming him. Though the kid is performing quite well as I thought he would, I am praying that he reverts to his previous year's regular season form soon.

Last edited:
I think when looking at the schedule before the season started the general consensus was that the Pats would go 3-1 going into the bye, so I would say that they are right on target. I think the defense is performing the way that was expected, signs of talent, but the lack of experience showing. They have got better each week and I think we will see that trend continue the rest of the season. Offensively, it was clear that this unit would be leading the team, but I think they have performed higher than first thought. Brady is looking like the pre-injury Tom Brady, Hernandez has stepped right in and made an immediate impact, Welker is performing like last season (even thought he isnt 100%), O'Brien has improved greatly from last season, etc. It will be very interesting to see how the offense performs without Moss, especially in the first few weeks.

As for the Jets, I was one of the believers that the Jets were going to be very good and the team to beat. Some people didnt believe in all of their signings, but they really have worked out well. Cromartie has looked very good, Taylor is making plays that some people said he wouldnt, and LT is running like the old LT. The Jets are for real, like I thought they would be.

"Elite" teams earn that reputation in January, IMO, but these guys are very good. The biggest surprise to me is Sanchez, who has looked like a legitimate NFL QB. I'm going to wait and see how the egos "make nice" together in November and December before I start saying "Jets" and "Super Bowl" in the same breath.

Jets D impresses me; they are always in attack mode. Sanchez has been great, but all the batted balls that have fallen in between 3 defenders will eventually get picked, like the one Chung narrowly missed. And I think pro bowler might be an exaggeration, but he has exceeded expectations. They still have very little discipline, though. Lets not get too excited, we've had the same conversation about the jets the past two years. Last year they went 9-7 and the year prior missed the playoffs.

Jester Defense:
Very good. Definitely the strength of the team but they are definitely not the reincarnation of the Raven SB defense...not even close. I think the Vikings exposed the secondary but you have to have the horses to take advantage of it. They are playing well...not much else to say.

Jester Offense:
Good.....only because LT is having a great year and they are going to get better as Holmes works into the offense more. The weak link is Sanchez. I really ROFL at the pro-bowl comment. He is a caretaker in the truest sense of the word, but for now, that is enough. The lack of turnovers is his best point, and it is a big one, but demonstrates how little they ask im to do. I am also waiting to see how LT brings it in November. Is he having a Corey Dillon type year for them? I don't think so, but you never know. I do think LT is the main cog in their offense right now.

I think they are one of the best teams in the AFC right now, but I think both Pittsburgh and Baltimore are better. Not sure how that will stand up in the later stages of the season.

I really don't have anything bad to say about them...but the season is young.

[II'm on record as saying the Jets could start the season 1-5, so, yeah, they done good by me. As far as "not elite": Really, there's no team that's "elite" in the way the Pats-Colts-Steelers-Titans of 2003-04 were. But they're near the top of today's NFL, as good and as flawed as the other "top teams."

Their schedule gets easier, so this could get ugly.

OTOH, I still hold out hope that they've been living a charmed existence that will end soon. Sanchez was awful Monday night and the Vikes should feel silly not to have had at least two picks. (There's also the whole Favre suckage, but that's a different thread). Edwards and Holmes - -who know what they'll do over the course of a long season, and we'll see how LdT holds up (he's REALLY been a surprise this year).

Edit: Forgot to mention: They still suck :)

Last edited:
My impression on the Jets this year its week 6, they are so far impressive.

So far...

Lets see how they look in week 10.

Sancheeze will do something foolish this season and when that happens in their locker room.

the defense is OK, not like last year, but definetely up there

their pass D CAN and WILL be torched once they play a real QB (i dont count the pats game here)

LT is running very impessive, i did not expect this, hes revitalized, he is injury prone though, and will get hurt, at which point Greene sucks, a lot, NOT an NFL back

teh jets have WR's, but not game changing wr's, just fast wr's

we are at fault for making Sanchez as confident as he is, the day when the jets running game gets stopped, Sanchez will take on a more familiar mold, that of suckiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes