PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFCCG practice news: Patriots & Jaguars (edit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you and some people here are overestimating the market for a RB that will turn 28 at the start of the next season and had a history of injuries. I dont think he will carry a crazy high pricetag.
That, and I don't think he has the intention of ever playing anywhere else.

You may be absolutely right, but I still think his price tag is more than NE would want to pay. Would you agree?
I think he'd sign for what Burkhead got, over 3 years.

That, and I don't think he has the intention of ever playing anywhere else.
But how do you know that, Tommy? He's never played for "big" money and he could have the chance to do so now (relatively speaking of course) with the kind of season he's just had. He set career highs on back-to-back weeks (IIRC) and he's never had the kind of statistical success he's had this season . . . and that's after they essentially made him a bench warmer for the first quarter or so of the season. Business will usually be put ahead of personal affections for your team and teammates, and I can't necessarily say I disagree in a sport like football.

I do hope your notion is correct and he wants to stay. However, we saw someone like Woodhead leave for not much more than NE offered. You never know what these players are thinking for certain.

I think he'd sign for what Burkhead got, over 3 years.
I do really hope you're right.

But how do you know that, Tommy? He's never played for "big" money and he could have the chance to do so now (relatively speaking of course) with the kind of season he's just had. He set career highs on back-to-back weeks (IIRC) and he's never had the kind of statistical success he's had this season . . . and that's after they essentially made him a bench warmer for the first quarter or so of the season. Business will usually be put ahead of personal affections for your team and teammates, and I can't necessarily say I disagree in a sport like football.

I do hope your notion is correct and he wants to stay. However, we saw someone like Woodhead leave for not much more than NE offered. You never know what these players are thinking for certain.

I don't "know" that, but it's my best guess, considering he jumped all over the first extension offered to him.

I don't "know" that, but it's my best guess, considering he jumped all over the first extension offered to him.
Yeah, but at that time nobody else really wanted him then and he had spent a year out of football. That would be different now with the kind of season he just had.

You may be absolutely right, but I still think his price tag is more than NE would want to pay. Would you agree?

I don't know if I believe that 28 is all that old for a RB, though he obviously has had durability concerns. This season, however, he's been used probably more than he ever has been in his career and has stayed healthy. I'm sure some team would find enough value in signing him.

My point is that if BB and Caserio want him around he will be extended. I doubt that it will come down to a financial decision on Lewis by our front office.

My point is that if BB and Caserio want him around he will be extended. I doubt that it will come down to a financial decision on Lewis by our front office.
You could be right. But my line of thinking here is that they probably won't. They locked up White. They'll extend Burkhead (at least I strongly feel that way) and Gillislee got a multi-year deal. I doubt they'll want to keep Lewis and I do believe it would come down to economics if both parties were interested. I don't think he was ever in danger of getting cut, but I do think that a good enough offer would probably have gotten him shipped out. There were multiple reports that teams came calling. But for the sake of the team and because I like him so much, I do really hope you are correct.

You could be right. But my line of thinking here is that they probably won't. They locked up White. They'll extend Burkhead (at least I strongly feel that way) and Gillislee got a multi-year deal. I doubt they'll want to keep Lewis and I do believe it would come down to economics if both parties were interested. But for the sake of the team and because I like him so much, I do really hope you are correct.

Dion Lewis is hands-down their best running back. The idea that they'd sign/keep everyone else BUT him, doesn't make much sense.

You could be right. But my line of thinking here is that they probably won't. They locked up White. They'll extend Burkhead (at least I strongly feel that way) and Gillislee got a multi-year deal. I doubt they'll want to keep Lewis and I do believe it would come down to economics if both parties were interested. But for the sake of the team and because I like him so much, I do really hope you are correct.

Gillislee can be cut for free at the end of the season. He is the least likely of the four RBs to be back.

I dont want to deal with all this right now because this is more offseason talk so I will jump out of the conversation until after the SB. I get that you are interested in the future but for me thinking about replacing players is taking away from enjoying the current season.

Gillislee can be cut for free at the end of the season. He is the least likely of the four RBs to be back.

I dont want to deal with all this right now because this is more offseason talk so I will jump out of the conversation until after the SB. I get that you are interested in the future but for me thinking about replacing players is taking away from enjoying the current season.
Then you are free to leave, sir. I never solicited your opinion in the first place. :p:D

Last edited:
Dion Lewis is hands-down their best running back. The idea that they'd sign/keep everyone else BUT him, doesn't make much sense.
So again, you presume to know what BB will do? Haven't we learned better by now? Such a far cry from the off season when half the board had him now even making the 53. lol

So again, you presume to know what BB will do? Haven't we learned better by now? Such a far cry from the off season when half the board had him now even making the 53. lol

Not the half that was paying attention.

Dion Lewis has been the starting RB every game he's been here, when he's fully healthy. He doesn't get taken off the field for fumbles.

They don't consider him "just another RB". I can't speak for the half of the board that didn't recognize that.

Not the half that was paying attention.

Dion Lewis has been the starting RB every game he's been here, when he's fully healthy. He doesn't get taken off the field for fumbles.

They don't consider him "just another RB". I can't speak for the half of the board that didn't recognize that.
Okay, now I'm lost. That is absolutely false. Did you see the first quarter of the season? He was fully healthy and still mostly riding the bench. I think I'll follow luuked's example and leave the convo now too. I get it. You think he's a lock to be here long-term. I hope you're correct.

Lewis is the team's starter, a special talent, a big reason they're where rhey are, and the Patriots are located closer to his family than any other team besides the Jets and Giants and not by much. It's really hard to imagine him not being back.

Lewis is the team's starter, a special talent, a big reason they're where rhey are, and the Patriots are located closer to his family than any other team besides the Jets and Giants and not by much. It's really hard to imagine him not being back.
"Starter?" I thought we didn't have those in NE?:p Again, I love Lewis and hope all of you who are so sure that he's back are correct. I can't say it enough. I'm not saying he should be gone. I'm don't even know if I strongly believe one way or another what will happen with him. But posing the question is certainly not out of the question, IMO. RB is a position BB routinely undervalues (though that may be the wrong word to use). It will probably always be RB by committee from here on as long as he's the coach. So while I absolutely agree that Lewis is special, it doesn't make him entirely indispensable with this coach. The family angle wouldn't matter one lick to the Pats either. Just saying.

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't back. Who knows? Maybe they'll cut Gillislee, as @luuked pointed out to me that they could do it without penalty. I personally wouldn't mind that one bit. Maybe all of this is moot because Lewis takes the hometown discount to remain. He was in a pretty long, playful embrace with Tommy on the sideline toward the end of the TEN game. That kind of affection and camaraderie doesn't happen on every team. All that jabber said, I still think the question is a valid one. We've seen a lot more shocking things in 18 seasons.

I think you and some people here are overestimating the market for a RB that will turn 28 at the start of the next season and had a history of injuries. I dont think he will carry a crazy high pricetag.

@PatsBoy12
We've kind veered OT, but just so everyone's on the same page WRT RB pay ...

Top 25 RUNNING BACK APY's thru contract year
(AGE = age when current contract was signed)
*(playoff team)

*(PIT) Bell = $12.1M - UFA (franchise tag) ... (AGE 25)

*(ATL) Freeman = $8.25M thru 2022 (recently extended) ... (AGE 25)
*(BUF) McCoy = $8.0M thru 2019 ... (AGE 27)

(TBY) Martin = $7.15M thru 2020 ... (AGE 27)

*(JAX) Fournette = $6.79M thru 2020 (rookie contract)
(HOU) Miller = $6.5M thru 2019 ... (AGE 25)
*(JAX) Ivory = $6.4M thru 2020 ... (AGE 28)
*(TEN) D. Murray = $6.38M thru 2019 ... (AGE 28)
(DAL) Elliot = $6.24M thru 2019 (rookie contract)

(CIN) Bernard = $5.17M thru 2019 ... (AGE 25)
*(MIN) L. Murray = $5.0M thru 2019 ... (AGE 27)

*(PHL) Sproles = $4.5M - UFA ... (AGE 33)
(OAK) Lynch = $4.5M thru 2018 ... (AGE 31)
(DEN) Anderson = $4.5M thru 2019 ... (AGE 25)
*(CAR) McCaffrey = $4.31M thru 2020 (rookie contract)
(SEA) Lacy = $4.25M - UFA ... (AGE 27)
(NYG) Vereen = $4.12M - UFA ... (AGE 26)
(IND) Gore = $4.0M - UFA ... (AGE 32)
(NYJ) Forte = $4.0M thru 2018 ... (AGE 31)
*(CAR) Stewart = $4.0M thru 2018 ... (AGE 30)
*(NOL) Ingram = $4.0M thru 2018 ... (AGE 26)
*(Pats) WHITE = $4.0M thru 2020 (recently extended) ... (AGE 25)

(DET) Riddick = $3.85M thru 2019 ... (AGE 25)
(NYJ) Powell = $3.75M thru 2018 ... (AGE 27)
#25 (WAS) Thompson = $3.5M thru 2019 ... (AGE 27)
----------
Other Pats' RBs and current ages ...
#28 GILLISLEE = $3.2M thru 2018 ... (AGE 27)
#29 BURKHEAD = $3.15M - UFA ... (AGE 27)
#40 LEWIS = $1.5M - UFA ... (AGE 27)
#70 BOLDEN = $775k - UFA ... (AGE 27)

You could be right. But my line of thinking here is that they probably won't. They locked up White. They'll extend Burkhead (at least I strongly feel that way) and Gillislee got a multi-year deal. I doubt they'll want to keep Lewis and I do believe it would come down to economics if both parties were interested. I don't think he was ever in danger of getting cut, but I do think that a good enough offer would probably have gotten him shipped out. There were multiple reports that teams came calling. But for the sake of the team and because I like him so much, I do really hope you are correct.

Seriously?

Woodhead stated later that he took the Chargers offer because he'd get more touches with them. He was right.

Doesn't seem like that would be an issue with Lewis, since he's gotten the vast majority of RB touches this season.

Seriously?
I thought using words like "probably" and "at least I feel strongly" would indicate that I'm not sure and I'm just spitballing. At no point did I say I knew for sure of what would happen. The people I responded seemed to be stating it as if it will happen for sure. At least that was my interpretation.

Woodhead stated later that he took the Chargers offer because he'd get more touches with them. He was right.

Doesn't seem like that would be an issue with Lewis, since he's gotten the vast majority of RB touches this season.
I hear you. But wasn't that a product of the injuries? Do you think he'd have received the same number of touches had Burkhead not been injured? Because it seemed to me that Burkhead was getting the kinds of touches Lewis started to receive only after Burkhead was injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back