PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFCCG practice news: Patriots & Jaguars (edit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually was a major and significant loss when Burkhead went out so this is great news. This guy was a explosive weapon making plays all over the place earlier this season. Fantastic that he is back!

I'm obviously not BB or McDaniels but, assuming Gillislee is going to be able to go, I'd probably have Burkhead practice exclusively as a slot WR this week, and dress all 4 RBs.
I never thought of that, but that would seem to be a great idea. However, I think Gillislee is still just a limited participant in practices.

BB on OL

“We had to pass block them quite a bit,” Belichick began, noting Brady’s 53 pass attempts. “We threw the ball, but they also did a good job in the running game. But those guys work well together. They work well individually. They compete well individually with their training, and preparation and one-on-one execution, but they also operate well as a unit with communication, blocking adjustments and so forth that a lot of times come right after the ball is snapped. They've done a real good job for us. They're] just a group that really grinds it out. I have a lot of respect for what they do and how hard they do it.”

Actually was a major and significant loss when Burkhead went out so this is great news. This guy was a explosive weapon making plays all over the place earlier this season. Fantastic that he is back!
In theory anyway. The Pats won every game without him. But yes, he is a very key piece and having him back is definitely better than not. I'm glad we have him locked up for a few years. I hope health doesn't become a persistent issue.

And nice answer on Wise, A.Butler consistency over long season:

“I think that's, honestly, that's been pretty impressive to me. A lot of times you see the rookies [have] the length of the season affect them a little bit. I'd say with those guys, in particular, they've done a good job of every day coming through, coming here with a lot of consistency, work ethic. They have a good energy level every week and that's been impressive and they've continued to improve. I would say they haven't leveled off. They've gotten better, both individually, and in their preparation and understanding what our opponent does and so forth.

That's really not an easy thing to do because as the season goes on there is a lot more information to digest. There's more games, there's more situations, they've run more plays, we run more plays, we have more things that we have to match up against that. It's really the preparation part of the game increases as the year goes on and that's sometimes hard to really keep piling it on week after week because each week really gets a little bit harder to prepare for the next team because the volume has increased a lot more from what it is in the early part of the season.”

I like MM as much as anyone here just about but Burkhead is the more important player moving forward. If I only get to have 1 i choose him.

This is a game where the RBs will need to show up big time in the passing game. The Jags have 2 legit probowl caliber CBs and none of our outside WRs (be it Cooks, Hogan or Mitchell) will be effective against them.

I think this is a game for Amendola in the slot, Gronk and Lewis/Burkhead. We need to focus on their LBs and pick on them just like we did vs Denver the last few years. Also we need to get the ball out quick especially in the first half.

What?? Thought Brandin Cooks was a #1 Elite WR??:confused: Ok I agree their DB's are Good but I don't think they are Talib or Chris Harris Great. Glad Hogan got a game under his belt, I think he's going to play very well on Sunday. And we have the Best Coaches in the business. Color me not scared also we are very careful with the Football.

And nice answer on Wise, A.Butler consistency over long season:

“I think that's, honestly, that's been pretty impressive to me. A lot of times you see the rookies [have] the length of the season affect them a little bit. I'd say with those guys, in particular, they've done a good job of every day coming through, coming here with a lot of consistency, work ethic. They have a good energy level every week and that's been impressive and they've continued to improve. I would say they haven't leveled off. They've gotten better, both individually, and in their preparation and understanding what our opponent does and so forth.

That's really not an easy thing to do because as the season goes on there is a lot more information to digest. There's more games, there's more situations, they've run more plays, we run more plays, we have more things that we have to match up against that. It's really the preparation part of the game increases as the year goes on and that's sometimes hard to really keep piling it on week after week because each week really gets a little bit harder to prepare for the next team because the volume has increased a lot more from what it is in the early part of the season.”

Pats no name Defense is very underrated and in reality much better than regarded.

Cooks can beat both of their guys in 1 on 1, but he’s brutal finishing a play or finding the open area if the initial route breaks down or choosing the right route.

That said, there is upside. I doubt they put Ramsey on him because he doesn’t have quite elite acceleration to stay with Cooks as well as AJ. Maybe Hogan and some Gronk when split out.

In theory anyway. The Pats won every game without him. But yes, he is a very key piece and having him back is definitely better than not. I'm glad we have him locked up for a few years. I hope health doesn't become a persistent issue.
I don’t think they have him locked up beyond this year. I’m pretty sure it was a 1 year deal for a little more than 3m. Hopefully, they do lock him up for a little while longer.

I don’t think they have him locked up beyond this year. I’m pretty sure it was a 1 year deal for a little more than 3m. Hopefully, they do lock him up for a little while longer.
You are correct. I realize it was Gillislee who got multiple years unfortunately. Sorry for the error.

You are correct. I realize it was Gillislee who got multiple years unfortunately. Sorry for the error.
Don’t be silly, bro. I figured that you may have been thinking of Gillislee. Hopefully, Burkhead will be something of a priority this offseason. I’m guessing that he will be.

Through 17 games, including the Divisional Round ...

LEWIS (27) = 10 TD (6 rushing, 3 receiving, 1 KR) ... 17 games
GRONK (28) = 9 TD (receiving) ... 15 games
BURKHEAD (27) = 8 TD (5 rushing, 3 receiving) ... 10 games
COOKS (24) = 7 TD (receiving) ... 17 games
HOGAN (29) = 6 TD (receiving) ... 10 games
WHITE (25) = 5 TD (1 rushing, 4 receiving) ... 15 games
GILLISLEE (27) = 5 TD (rushing) ... 9 games
AMENDOLA (32) = 2 TD (receiving) ... 16 games
ALLEN (27) = 1 TD (receiving) ... 17 games
BOLDEN (27) = 1 TD (rushing) ... 17 games

It's maybe worth noting that Bolden has played 45 end-of-game snaps over the past three contests, and contributed a 7-yd catch and 15 carries for 93 yds (6.2 ypa), plus seven 1st-downs and a TD. "Garbage time" stuff, it's true. But it did help kill the clock without using Lewis. That could come in handy.

Through 17 games, including the Divisional Round ...

LEWIS (27) = 10 TD (6 rushing, 3 receiving, 1 KR) ... 17 games
GRONK (28) = 9 TD (receiving) ... 15 games
BURKHEAD (27) = 8 TD (5 rushing, 3 receiving) ... 10 games
COOKS (24) = 7 TD (receiving) ... 17 games
HOGAN (29) = 6 TD (receiving) ... 10 games
WHITE (25) = 5 TD (1 rushing, 4 receiving) ... 15 games
GILLISLEE (27) = 5 TD (rushing) ... 9 games
AMENDOLA (32) = 2 TD (receiving) ... 16 games
ALLEN (27) = 1 TD (receiving) ... 17 games
BOLDEN (27) = 1 TD (rushing) ... 17 games

It's maybe worth noting that Bolden has played 45 end-of-game snaps over the past three contests, and contributed a 7-yd catch and 15 carries for 93 yds (6.2 ypa), plus seven 1st-downs and a TD. "Garbage time" stuff, it's true. But it did help kill the clock without using Lewis. That could come in handy.
Great work, Maineman!

Don’t be silly, bro. I figured that you may have been thinking of Gillislee. Hopefully, Burkhead will be something of a priority this offseason. I’m guessing that he will be.
I sure do hope he is a priority as well, Supa. The guy can simply do it all. If health doesn't become a persistent thing with him, he'd be everything Woody was, but better.

But I do wonder if it's a Burkhead or Lewis proposition. IF it is a choice, I feel the team would opt for Burkhead over Lewis. Lewis may have played his way out of NE because he raised his stock so much, and I'd be happy to see him cash in . . . though I'd be kinda bummed to watch him leave.

Burkhead is really tough to defend against because you never really know what he's on the field to do in a given formation. Run pass inside outside, I've even seen them send him deep a couple times. That's really hard for a DC to counter.

But I do wonder if it's a Burkhead or Lewis proposition. IF it is a choice, I feel the team would opt for Burkhead over Lewis. Lewis may have played his way out of NE because he raised his stock so much, and I'd be happy to see him cash in . . . though I'd be kinda bummed to watch him leave.

I think you and some people here are overestimating the market for a RB that will turn 28 at the start of the next season and had a history of injuries. I dont think he will carry a crazy high pricetag.

Burkhead is really tough to defend against because you never really know what he's on the field to do in a given formation. Run pass inside outside, I've even seen them send him deep a couple times. That's really hard for a DC to counter.

Especially if you're a zone team at your core, and you're asked to implement press man schemes in a week's worth of work.

There were definitely communication issues on Jacksonville's side a week ago at times.

I think you and some people here are overestimating the market for a RB that will turn 28 at the start of the next season and had a history of injuries. I dont think he will carry a crazy high pricetag.
You may be absolutely right, but I still think his price tag is more than NE would want to pay. Would you agree?

I don't know if I believe that 28 is all that old for a RB, though he obviously has had durability concerns. This season, however, he's been used probably more than he ever has been in his career and has stayed healthy. I'm sure some team would find enough value in signing him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back