PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFCCG practice news: Patriots & Jaguars (edit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ad hom

How cute

Look, tell me that Burkhead's knee is 100% (in a football playing sense), that they won't have him back at RB, and that he's got all the slot WR routes down, and we can re-visit this. Tell me that Reedy is going to be used to keep Amendola off special teams, and I'm happy to look at adjusting my take. Hell, tell me that BB is going to bring Gillislee off the list, so that he can run it down the throat of the Jags, and I'll be receptive to the argument about WR risk. Until then,

Bademosi for Jones
Branch for Grissom
Burkhead for STer

Seems like the way to go.

Fair enough.

I don't think losing two ST players is/will be the way to go. After losing Langi, Marsh, Ebner and now JJ this unit is pretty thin. Reilly who came for Marsh is out as well (Grigsby taking his place and doing a great job). They are already using plenty of Chung and McCourty that didn't play earlier in the season (or in Chung's case not as much) which is not ideal either (although they did use them like this before for the big games).

I looked (when I wrote original comment) who could potentially replace Grissom on ST (coverage) and the only two people who could do that are Roberts and KVN. At least they played some of it in preseason - part of that poor ST unit that pissed off BB to the point that he threw 4 draft picks to bring in Marsh, M.Flowers and Bademosi. KVN is too busy and too important to seriously consider there. Roberts played only 30% of D snaps vs TEN and they didn't put him on ST which tells me they don't fully trust him there. (M.Flowers played 66% of D snaps and 10 on ST).

Note that Harmon is not part of ST teams the last two seasons. I thought Rowe would make a good STer but somehow it didn't materialize.

Id guess ST units that are on the same page are more important than any injury only single position backups . especially in a game like tomorrow.

And this is not even my choice or preference. Just trying to understand what BB & co are doing.

ST snaps vs TEN:

Richards - 23
Bolden - 21
Slater - 20
King - 20
J Jones - 19
Grissom - 17
Hollister - 16
Chung - 14
McCourty - 14
Develin -14
Grigsby - 13
M.Flowers - 10

Fair enough.

I don't think losing two ST players is/will be the way to go. After losing Langi, Marsh, Ebner and now JJ this unit is pretty thin. Reilly who came for Marsh is out as well (Grigsby taking his place and doing a great job). They are already using plenty of Chung and McCourty that didn't play earlier in the season (or in Chung's case not as much) which is not ideal either (although they did use them like this before for the big games).

I looked (when I wrote original comment) who could potentially replace Grissom on ST (coverage) and the only two people who could do that are Roberts and KVN. At least they played some of it in preseason - part of that poor ST unit that pissed off BB to the point that he threw 4 draft picks to bring in Marsh, M.Flowers and Bademosi. KVN is too busy and too important to seriously consider there. Roberts played only 30% of D snaps vs TEN and they didn't put him on ST which tells me they don't fully trust him there. (M.Flowers played 66% of D snaps and 10 on ST).

Note that Harmon is not part of ST teams the last two seasons. I thought Rowe would make a good STer but somehow it didn't materialize.

Id guess ST units that are on the same page are more important than any injury only single position backups . especially in a game like tomorrow.

And this is not even my choice or preference. Just trying to understand what BB & co are doing.

ST snaps vs TEN:

Richards - 23
Bolden - 21
Slater - 20
King - 20
J Jones - 19
Grissom - 17
Hollister - 16
Chung - 14
McCourty - 14
Develin -14
Grigsby - 13
M.Flowers - 10
Hogan had 8 ST snaps vs Titans.

Hogan had 8 ST snaps vs Titans.

Didn't re-watch but maybe he came for JJ. Grissom has another role. Burkhead will probably contribute as well but that is specific on return units..

Last edited:
Didn't re-watch but maybe he came for JJ as gunner. Grissom has another role. Burkhead will probably contribute as well but that is specific on return units..
I caught him on tv a couple times. Don't think he was outside but my vision may have been, um, not sharply focussed. Hard to project Burkhead because of the knee.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I don't think losing two ST players is/will be the way to go. After losing Langi, Marsh, Ebner and now JJ this unit is pretty thin.

Bademosi and Burkhead both play special teams, so you're not losing two ST players. You're just losing the one (Grissom), and you could sit Hollister or Grigsby, if that was the preference.

Spread em out. Hit Burk, Cat and White all day long
Agree.
I see 2 fronts on the game plan.
1) go 12 or 21 get pozluzny on the field with Dareus, and Campbell at de, then go no huddle and spread them
2) spread them with 11 to get Campbell inside, Fowler in abd dareus our, 5 dbs on the field and go run heavy mixing in throws picking on the nickel corner and safeties.

They have players who can be exploited vs the run ( smith, jack, Campbell when inside, Fowler and ngouke) and others that can be exploited by the pass ( Colvin, both safeties, pozluzny abd smith)

Agree.
I see 2 fronts on the game plan.
1) go 12 or 21 get pozluzny on the field with Dareus, and Campbell at de, then go no huddle and spread them
2) spread them with 11 to get Campbell inside, Fowler in abd dareus our, 5 dbs on the field and go run heavy mixing in throws picking on the nickel corner and safeties.

They have players who can be exploited vs the run ( smith, jack, Campbell when inside, Fowler and ngouke) and others that can be exploited by the pass ( Colvin, both safeties, pozluzny abd smith)
I think we might see 80+ plays on offense again.

Sounds good to me.
I think the defense will be getting off the field quickly pretty often.
I don't see how JAX sustains more than 2 drives.

Bademosi and Burkhead both play special teams, so you're not losing two ST players. You're just losing the one (Grissom), and you could sit Hollister or Grigsby, if that was the preference.

Burkhead - at best - plays just the return units. Grigsby was one of the best ST players last month. Hollister is used in important 3TE situations, blocking & receiving and playing coverage and return units.

All these guys have important jobs on the field. Dorsett was not used even in “garbage time“.

Its true that nobody expected Bademosi to be out las time but with 3 healthy elite gunners they obviously thought they could miss one in this precious numbers game. ST positions are specific as well and not automatically interchangeable. If Burkhead plays ST (with Bademosi taking all JJ's ST snaps) you still need two people to account for Grissom's and f.e. Grigsby's coverage unit plays following your proposal:

Bademosi for Jones
Branch for Grissom
Burkhead for STer

Its true they had active Dorsett on zero snaps last time so of course it can happen they keep him again. Im not even saying Dorsett should be out . just can see (and share) the rationale if he is. And w Burkhead and Bademosi (likely) returning the numbers game for Dorsett are possibly (we don't know the game plan) getting more complicated.

Its true that nobody expected Bademosi to be out las time but with 3 healthy elite gunners they obviously thought they could miss one in this precious numbers game. ST positions are specific as well and not automatically interchangeable. If Burkhead plays ST (with Bademosi taking all JJ's ST snaps) you still need two people to account for Grissom's and f.e. Grigsby's coverage unit plays following your proposal:

That's why players practice at more than one spot. This isn't climbing Mt. Everest while barefoot and in shorts and a t-shirt. This is fielding a football team so that you have enough depth. You're more worried about a STer who wasn't active in half the games this season. I'm more worried about brittle receivers/rbs, who might need someone to take over for them if they end up breaking, yet again. Dorsett was active for every game but one this season. It may be that BB makes him inactive this week, but nothing so far has given me reason to think that's the way to go, and any information that would make me inclined to do so will likely not be available until during, or after, the game.

Last edited:
I expect to see a lot of 3 wr. I’d expect 50+ snaps for amendola with cooks, hogan and Gronk playing mostly all of them.
3-WR packages against this defense is a recipe for disaster. Their CBs are going to make Brandy Cooks cry like a little girl.

3-WR packages against this defense is a recipe for disaster. Their CBs are going to make Brandy Cooks cry like a little girl.

You don’t think cooks will have a good game?
Antonio did ok against them. I know cooks ain’t him but he’s real fast. I think cooks burns them for one long gainer. I hope

Bledsoe (from Reiss):

Bledsoe can speak from first-hand experience what it's like to play through an injury to a right-handed quarterback's right hand, as he famously gutted through having a pin in his broken index finger on his right throwing hand late in the 1998 season. That isn't the same injury Tom Brady is currently managing, but when we spoke Friday, Bledsoe mentioned something that still applies to Brady: "One thing I learned with that deal was that if your mechanics are sound, then you don't really have to feel your hand. And Tommy is so mechanically sound, that as long as he can get a grip on the ball, he should be fine."

from Reiss

With running back Rex Burkheadexpected to be back in action for the AFC Championship Game, according to Schefter, the Patriots will probably have only one player (OT LaAdrian Waddle) who isn't active because of an injury. That means there will be a few unconventional players who don't make it on the 46-man game-day roster, and one of them could be rookie tight end Jacob Hollister. Since he was inactive in the season opener, Hollister has played in every game since, carving out a core role on special teams and as a seldom-used No. 3 tight end (four catches, 42 yards). If Hollister is indeed inactive, the Patriots will have to fill his spot on the kickoff-return, punt-protection, punt-return and kickoff-coverage units, which is the type of 1-for-4 exchange that challenges resourceful special teams coach Joe Judge and his assistant Ray Ventrone.
____

With the Patriots and Jaguars meeting for the AFC championship, some Patriots players said they reviewed film from August joint practices to re-familiarize themselves with some Jacksonville players (e.g., offensive linemen focused on pass-rush moves)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots