PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Playoff Race - Week 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post with very helpful explanation! Thanks a lot.

I would add.....

5a) Bills over Denver
5b) Oakland over Texans

This one requires a lot of explaining. If the Patriots lose to the Cardinals and beat the Bills and if the Ravens beat the Cowboys and lose to the Jaguars, New England and Baltimore would have the same record (10-6), and the same record within the conference (7-5) -- which is the first tiebreaker in a wild card scenario since the teams did not face each other this season. This would get us to strength of victories. The Pats beat both the Bills and Denver but assuming the Pats beat the Bills again a Bills win would count twice. Both the Pats and Ravens have beaten Oakland (a wash) but the Ravens have beaten the Texans.

I feel like I just walked through an Escher drawing after reading that. :) Actually, it was a helpful explanation.

I'm gonna print all this crap out to keep it straight. Clearly, though, it is best if Miami and the Jests simply each lose a game. Even if just one of them loses this weekend, and then beats the other team the next week, voila! That would be so sweet. The Jets, if they lose this weekend, would probably lose on purpose the following weekend just to spite us.

Last edited:
Would that make up for last year if they won?

No F-ing way. Last year's loss was a once-in-a-lifetime devastating loss that no Pats fan will ever get over. My children and grandchildren (when I have them) will fear bringing up that season for fear of sending dad and grandpa into a sobbing suicidal depression. "What could make a 6'4" dude cry?" they will ask.

But it would still be awesome if they won, don't get me wrong.

So emotionally it won't make up for it, but it sure would be bloody awesome.

Hmmm...was that a bit over the top?

i think the jets have had the divine break they needed in the lossman fumble. Everyone is picking seattle to beat them because the jets are 0-3 on the west coast so i think seattle will now lay the proverbial egg just like SF did against miami.
Miami in cold kc and cold nyj, iam not so sure.

i think the jets have had the divine break they needed in the lossman fumble. Everyone is picking seattle to beat them because the jets are 0-3 on the west coast so i think seattle will now lay the proverbial egg just like SF did against miami.
Miami in cold kc and cold nyj, iam not so sure.

I agree. The AFC East is a longshot. I don't see the Jets or Dolphins losing this weak. Our fate may very well depend on the Cowboys beating the Ravens on Saturday night. If you've got any magic voodoo break it out on Saturday night...

As always, the key is to get to 11-5. No team has missed the playoffs since with that record under the present wildcard system, and only one before that (in 1985).

I expect Baltimore to lose at least one more.

The rest doesn't matter too much, although it would be great to win the division.

As stated, there are many ways in at 11-5 and even some at 10-6.

This has been a GREAT year.

No F-ing way. Last year's loss was a once-in-a-lifetime devastating loss that no Pats fan will ever get over.

One is the loneliest number when it has an 18 in front of it, eh? :mad:

Last edited:

4:05 PM

New York Jets @ Seattle Seahawks (Go Seahawks!)
Buffalo Bills @ Denver Broncos (Eh...gotorontobillsyabunchascrubs)
Oakland Raiders @ Houston Texans (Go Cowboys, I'd really rather not have to root for the Mad Max rejects!)[/QUOTE]

a classic one. :p:p

Last edited:
what would be sweet about it, is the pats would probably be the huge underdogs. Would that make up for last year if they won?

Last year is loooong gone in my eyes.

Long gone....any energy wasted on it is just that, wasted.

Just came across this article on the main Yahoo front page:

Patriots can miss playoffs with 11-5 record - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Patriots can miss playoffs with 11-5 record. Great to see that our possible misfortune is a national anomaly on Yahoo. :rolleyes:

Who cares, lets just rock the Cards and the Bills, and if nothing, we should be proud of an incredible season. :singing:

Just came across this article on the main Yahoo front page:

Patriots can miss playoffs with 11-5 record - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Patriots can miss playoffs with 11-5 record. Great to see that our possible misfortune is a national anomaly on Yahoo. :rolleyes:

Who cares, lets just rock the Cards and the Bills, and if nothing, we should be proud of an incredible season. :singing:

Since when do we believe yahoo news? Amazing how all the media thinks we will miss the play off's.

Who cares.

As you said, it has been an incredible season.

GO PATS!!

Since when do we believe yahoo news? Amazing how all the media thinks we will miss the play off's.

Who cares.

As you said, it has been an incredible season.

GO PATS!!

Yeah exactly, I just found it interesting how everyone is writing us off. I'm proud of what my team has done this year, and this isn't the end, God willing. :rocker:

As always, the key is to get to 11-5. No team has missed the playoffs since with that record under the present wildcard system, and only one before that (in 1985).I expect Baltimore to lose at least one more.

The rest doesn't matter too much, although it would be great to win the division.

As stated, there are many ways in at 11-5 and even some at 10-6.

This has been a GREAT year.

It could happen unlike prior years many Teams are well above .500 in 2008. If Baltimore - Miami the Jets and us all win this weekend. It's possible that we could be the odd Team out come the final week of the season. We could very well finish 11-5 and miss out. Four Teams fighting for two spots and the Patriots are the only Team who don't really control their own destiny. Even if we finish 11-5 we still NEED help. Hope the Ravens lose this week in Big D I am not too confident in depending on Teams like KC and Seattle to win Games this weekend. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's not an absolute.

No F-ing way. Last year's loss was a once-in-a-lifetime devastating loss that no Pats fan will ever get over. My children and grandchildren (when I have them) will fear bringing up that season for fear of sending dad and grandpa into a sobbing suicidal depression. "What could make a 6'4" dude cry?" they will ask.

I felt like that for a while but over the course of this season, I've changed my mind. Not sure if it just took some time or if I'm that in love with this year's team. But if we can overcome all this and win a SB, in my eyes it makes up for last year. Right now I could care less about 19-0, we have enough records. This is probably just as good a chance for BB and the guys here who have rings to stick it to media pundits who overblew spygate.

On a side note, always keep in mind we had NO business being as good as we were in 2001, and winning a title that year was just unheard of. A team starting from scratch with Brady well before he was 'Brady'. Everything just fell together - Antowain running right past 3 Jets defenders for a big gain, crazy deflections going for completions in the Falcons/Jets games, Patten unconcious but his head OOB and leg touching the ball, a slew of late season AFC games going exactly our way allowing us to get a bye at 11-5, the tuck rule, Adam's kick in a snow storm, 2 special teams TD's @ Pitt, and the list goes on. That title I always took as kind of a bonus whereas '03 and '04 we truly did have elite talent. The past 3 years have all been a swift kick in the nuts but overall having 3 rings relieves the pain. Of course it is an unforgettable defeat, but we are still the winningest team in football since 1985 in terms of SB wins/overall SB appearances and will stay that as long as the Cowboys don't win this year (49ers already eliminated :)).

It is still conceivable for the AFCE to send 3 teams.

NE must win next two

Jets and Dolphins must win this week

Colts must lose both

Ravens must lose one.

Dolphins and Jets game ends in a tie.

NEP would win the div, Jets would be the 5 seed, Dolphins the 6th.

It is still conceivable for the AFCE to send 3 teams.

NE must win next two

Jets and Dolphins must win this week

Colts must lose both = Not Going to happen.

Ravens must lose one. = We need that scenario Saturday Night.

Dolphins and Jets game ends in a tie.

NEP would win the div, Jets would be the 5 seed, Dolphins the 6th.

Book it! the Colts will be in thanks to that moron Dave Thomas.

Last edited:
Book it! the Colts will be in thanks to that moron Dave Thomas.

Should I book it the way folks booked there was no way the Giants would win the SB?

I didn't say probable, i said possible.

Hope the Ravens lose this week in Big D I am not too confident in depending on Teams like KC and Seattle to win Games this weekend. Not saying it couldn't happen but it's not an absolute.

Boy.. last night was a roller coaster until the stupid Dallas defense and even stupider Wade couldn't hold the Ravens but allowed 2, TWO TDs late in the fourth... What a disgrace after playing well for 3 quarters... The Dallas defense proved to be chumps in the end.

The fins were resilient today and although KC led them at one point, they came back and scored.. I can't believe they haven't choked yet. I'm now watching a very boring Jets vs Seahawks game stuck at 3 -0 .. Wait , it just changed ... Go Seahawks ! TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes