PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Divisional: We're on to the Chargers (Beat LA!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivers has never won against Brady. That's not going to change next week.
The most useless comparison during the playoffs are:

Quarterback X has never beaten QB Y- irrelevant, they do not play each other. Also Brady's previous matchups against Rivers were years ago with different teams. This Year, Rivers has the more talented team. Brady may win, but has nothing to do with past history against Rivers.

Philly is not making the superbowl. For someone to be afraid of them making it is so odd to me. They're going to be destroyed by NO next week. Everyone quote this, please. Philly is getting absolutely destroyed next week.

Conventional wisdom says yes, but I’ve seen plenty of bigger upsets than what Eagles over Saints would be.

Philly is not making the superbowl. For someone to be afraid of them making it is so odd to me. They're going to be destroyed by NO next week. Everyone quote this, please. Philly is getting absolutely destroyed next week.
Agree about the fear part - worrying about who you’re going to play, or trying to wish for the “best” matchup in playoffs has always struck me as odd. You win the game that’s in front of you, that’s it. From posts I’ve read I would bet there are fans here who would rather lose in the AFCCG than risk another SB loss, esp to PHI. I understand the impulse - there are ways in which Brady’s legacy can still be ‘damaged’ even though his GOAT status is cemented and losing SBs sucks ass. But there isn’t anybody I’d rather beat. LA is all that matters though. Bring it on.

I do think NO wins next week but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was close. NO hasn’t exactly looked amazing the back end of the season, but I don’t think Brees misses the opportunities that Trubisky did early, and I’m sure they won’t abandon (or allow to be marginalized) Kamara/Ingram the way Bears did Cohen/Howard. Philly is quite arrogant for a D that has given up like 900+ passing yds in their last two playoff games. But they won em, so hey.

All logic says the saints should win big. I can’t get past the fact that the saints didn’t play a bunch of guys week 17. I mean it didn’t affect them in 09 as they destroyed the cardinals but I’ve seen so many teams just not look the same after doing it

It is far out, about 6 days, but for the past couple days, it been showing up. Could this game vs the chargers be a snow game? How is Rivers in the snow? gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

All logic says the saints should win big. I can’t get past the fact that the saints didn’t play a bunch of guys week 17. I mean it didn’t affect them in 09 as they destroyed the cardinals but I’ve seen so many teams just not look the same after doing it

Yeah I’ve been thinking about this too. 3 weeks off is a long time. It’s definitely backfired in the past, most notable in my mind when the Manning Colts did it a couple times and went one and done.

The most useless comparison during the playoffs are:

Quarterback X has never beaten QB Y- irrelevant, they do not play each other. Also Brady's previous matchups against Rivers were years ago with different teams. This Year, Rivers has the more talented team. Brady may win, but has nothing to do with past history against Rivers.
Brady threw 3 INTs in each of those two games, so the whole 2-0 record is totally meaningless in many different ways.

The narrative I've seen among opposing fan boards(and even here) and media is that this Patriots team looks more vulnerable than usual, blah, blah, blah. I can't wait for Belichick & Brady to rip the hearts out of all them and advance to the AFC Championship game which is still the New England Invitational.

Suck it haters!

On paper this is a mismatch for us. The chargers have one of the best defenses as it pertains to defending TEs. Gilmore can line up against Keenan Allen but Mike Williams is a tall and big bodied receiver. Melvin Ingram is the second coming of Justin Tuck and derwin james is a physical safety. We can win this game but it wont be a cakewalk like the titans were last year. I could see us losing this game.

I read the Chargers board. The fans seem pretty confident, but also kinda stupid. Not KC stupid, but still...

I'm feeling a little bullish about this game. It's going to be a dogfight or we're going to blow them out. I think the former is more likely, unless there is snow. If there's snow, it could get ugly for them.

I read the Chargers board. The fans seem pretty confident, but also kinda stupid. Not KC stupid, but still...

I'm feeling a little bullish about this game. It's going to be a dogfight or we're going to blow them out. I think the former is more likely, unless there is snow. If there's snow, it could get ugly for them.

Attachments

• 8AF5FC72-3A2E-4C04-A0EE-478820160EBF.png
    8AF5FC72-3A2E-4C04-A0EE-478820160EBF.png
    489.1 KB · Views: 20
Melvin Gordon still isnt quite the same. Gilmore on Allen and the danger guys are likely to be Ekeler/Mike Williams/Tyrell Williams.

On the flip side, their linebackers in coverage are what I would target. A balance of running the ball and quick outs to White/Burkhead/Edelman/Patterson are what the game plan should look like.

Time of possession will be key, and gotta stop the run.

Chargers are a good team top to bottom but not great imo. Luckily, we match up well against their DL and theyre not really a speed team on offense which is what gives the NE defense the toughest challenge.

I see this being a 30-20 kind of game for us.

Last edited:
The Chargers have better WR and DT than the Pats. You forgot Bosa who is a much better pass rusher than anyone the Pats have.

Pats are stronger along the OL and DB’s. The Pats have a better kicker but the Chargers have the better return man.

The big issue here is that the Pats don’t have the personnel to exploit the Chargers’ biggest weakness (OL) but the Chargers strength (running game) matches up terribly for the Pats dreadful run D.

Gordon is likely to have a monster game. The Pats will need Brady to be perfect and hope for some Chargers mistakes.

It's almost as if you haven't watched a single game all season.

The Pats do have the personnel to exploit the Charger's OL. And they will.

Gordon will have to run a lot to recover from 2nd and 20's or 3rd and 15's. Sure he'll get his yards and it'll look good on paper but it only takes one 3rd down stop to stall a drive.

I kind of wish Baltimore was coming to town so that I could watch you completely shyt your pants over "an elite running QB".

The last five minutes of the game today removed any anxiety I had about the Chargers coming into Foxboro and beating the Pats in a playoff game. They did everything they could to choke that game away to a rookie QB whose strength is running the football. Yet there he was carving up the Chargers vaunted defense like it was a holiday turkey. IMO if the Pats bring their A game no way they get beat by Ol man Rivers and Co.

I wouldn’t put much stock in that. They were in a C4 D a lot, playing to eat clock.

On paper this is a mismatch for us. The chargers have one of the best defenses as it pertains to defending TEs. Gilmore can line up against Keenan Allen but Mike Williams is a tall and big bodied receiver. Melvin Ingram is the second coming of Justin Tuck and derwin james is a physical safety. We can win this game but it wont be a cakewalk like the titans were last year. I could see us losing this game.

giphy.gif

Should be a very great game! Baltimore exposed a lot of glaring weaknesses in the Chargers defense late in the 4th quarter! I'm expecting a grind it out barn burner type of game! If Brady and company protects the football I expect them to win by at least a touchdown!

The biggest "weakness" I saw in the Chargers' Q4 defense was their apparent tactical decision to stop being so consistently aggressive and drop into "prevent" mode instead.

It is far out, about 6 days, but for the past couple days, it been showing up. Could this game vs the chargers be a snow game? How is Rivers in the snow? View attachment 22091

Not sure about Rivers but Brady is unbeaten in snow; he is 11-0. He's also undefeated when the temperature is something like 20 or 30 degrees or below those numbers.

I think the argument could realistically be made that Brady is the best bad weather QB ever to play the game.

For general fans of the league, this is a great matchup to see. Hoping for a good game.

Not gonna lie, he annoys me sometimes but it would be nice to see Rivers get his ring someday. I just know if he does this year it will come at yall’s expense :p

Well, Rivers is 37. I wouldn't mind if he becomes the second QB to win a Superbowl at age 41 (after Brady becomes the first).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes