PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: Patriots want minimum of 1st and 4th round picks for QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jaguars are, quite possibly, a quarterback away from contending for that division. That would make them a desperate team. The Texans last offseason were the definition of that which is why they backed up the Brinks truck for Assweiler.

Everybody's tossing out my boy Blake Bortles with the trash.

I, for one, am far from convinced that he's done.

In fact, I believe that his Best is yet to come.

01 ~ Schefter is probably the best Reporter ~ Conveyor of Facts ~ out there.
02 ~ But this was Speculation, not Reporting. He said so. On the Radio. I heard it live, a week or three ago.
03 ~ The 1st & 4th was a Reference of course to the Sam Bradford Trade.
04 ~ "Starting Point" means "Minimum".
05 ~ Schefter backed away from that, though. Therefore, he misused the Term. No big deal.

Schefter doesn't know what Mad Bill would demand for Garoppolo, and when challenged on it, declined to even speculate, even though he'd started the Conversation by employing the term "Starting Point", which, in negotiating, translates to "Minimum Acceptable Bid", beyond which of course the Seller is more than happy to let the Bidders bid against each other and drive the Price as high as one'r the other is willing to pay.

That's what "Starting Point" means, as opposed to estimating what Jimmy G'd fetch.

06 ~ It's fair to make note that Jimmy G's Resume is pretty thin, and God knows that these very Boards've been festooned over the Years with hilariously delirious notions of what our untested QuarterBacks, particularly Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer, might fetch on the Trade Market.

But I would point out that all Trades are based on Speculation, even for Battle Tested Veterans.

As they say: Past Performance is not Indicative of Future Results. :D

Planet Hoosten once paid #39, #48, and the difference between #08 and #10 ~ the Book Value of which equals #100 ~ for the immortal Matthew Schaub, based on exactly one Start. o_O

Against us, that Start was, in fact, and he'd completed 52.9% of his Passes. :rolleyes:

That's two 2nd Rounders and a 4th Rounder...for Matthew Schaub. :eek:

Charlie Whitehurst?

Sam Bradford??

Supply & Demand
, Ladies & Laddies. Jimmy Garoppolo's Resume, thin as it is, is far more impressive than that boasted by either Sam Bradford or Matthew Schaub when they were traded.

A 1st and a 4th?

I'd be disappointed if we got that little.
th_coffee.gif

Last edited:
Simple. 2008 Patriots going 11-5 and still missing the playoffs, with 7th rounder Matt Cassell as QB.

If Brady (god forbid) goes down in the 1st quarter of the season opener, the Patriots still have the second best quarterback in the AFC East, ready to take us into the playoffs - and possibly get us a bye.

I would argue we would have that capability with and without jimmy.

Presumably they did know it was a risk, yes. But I'll bet they already knew Pioli would be willing take him off their hands, which made it a safer gamble.

And of course, Cassel had started 15 games, Jimmy has started 2. If he doesn't take a meaningful snap between now and 2018, do you really feel confident that a team will commit to a guaranteed $20 million for him? One of the reason's he's so valuable now is that you'd get a free evaluation year. (Don't you think Houston wishes they'd had that for Osweiler?)

LOL.........do you see the QB situation in the NFL these days?

so based on your opinion and using osweiler as an example, there's no point in discussing a trade since the pats won't get much....I mean look at osweiler

I would argue we would have that capability with and without jimmy.

You seriously think Jacoby Brisett could get us into the playoffs and a first round bye?

Keep in mind, 2017 will be a tougher schedule than 2008 (if you look at the playoff teams we play, and all the road games)

well then, you franchise him and deal with that........the difference between getting a 1st and something versus a 2nd and something is insignificant next to the security he buys you for a year

I think a lot of that would also depend on how they feel about Brisset''s development as a backup as well.

If someone just blows them away with an offer then I'd be more inclined to take that and hope Brady continues to be as consistent as he's been his whole career

If it's not a great offer, then you keep Jimmy as a contingency plan for next year and continue to assess the development of Brisset. If they feel he's developing well going into his 3rd year, then they could franchise Jimmy and trade him Ala Matt Cassel for a 2nd rounder + later pick

If they feel Brisset isn't the answer after next season, with Brady at 41 years old, then you have to really consider keeping Garropalo long term.

The timing is off unfortunately.. if we had just drafted Jimmy in this last draft, we'd be all set and just develop him over the next 5 years to replace Brady.. now we need to hope Brisset can be that guy

Last edited:
I believe that you are overrating Tom Savage.
Perhaps but obrien has developed him for 3 years and they have had similar careers to date.

I think a lot of that would also depend on how they feel about Brisset''s development as a backup as well.

If someone just blows them away with an offer then I'd be more inclined to take that and hope Brady continues to be as consistent as he's been his while career

If it's not a great offer, then you keep Jimmy as a contingency plan for next year and continue to assess the development of Brisset. If they feel he's developing well going into his 3rd year, then they could franchise Jimmy and trade him Ala Matt Cassel for a 2nd rounder + later pick

If they feel Brisset isn't the answer after next season, with Brady at 41 years old, then you have to really consider keeping Garropalo long term.

The timing is off unfortunately.. if we had just drafted Jimmy in this last draft, we'd be all set and just develop him over the next 5 years to replace Brady.. now we need to hope Brisset can be that guy

timing around Brady is a separate conversation, but when it comes to the value for JG, I see no reason to consider anything less than 'the ridiculous' as it simply does not help as much as people would like to think

You seriously think Jacoby Brisett could get us into the playoffs and a first round bye?

Keep in mind, 2017 will be a tougher schedule than 2008 (if you look at the playoff teams we play, and all the road games)

I think brissett has every chance to be the backup that Jimmy is. I think if 12 goes down in quarter 1 of game 1 (which is just lazy comparable) expecting jimmy or brissett to get us that far is just ludicrous expectations.

Getting in to the playoffs? Yeh, I think either guy can take this division next year.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more than anyone will be willing to give.

The market for an inexperienced QB is less than a 1st and 4th, at least IMHO.

....he'd started the Conversation by employing the term "Starting Point", which, in negotiating, translates to "Minimum Acceptable Bid", beyond which of course the Seller is more than happy to let the Bidders bid against each other and drive the Price as high as one'r the other is willing to pay.

That's what "Starting Point" means, as opposed to estimating what Jimmy G'd fetch.

If you think that there are multiple interested parties, why wouldn't your "starting point" be what you hope to get, though you really expect that you'll get less?

Like pricing your house for sale. The counter-offers that you will get are going to be lower, but you try it since a motivated buyer might say "gee, I'll snatch that one up"

Last edited:
Everybody's tossing out my boy Blake Bortles with the trash.

I, for one, am far from convinced that he's done.

In fact, I believe that his Best is yet to come.
You should see Bortles drink at the Jax Beach bars sometime.

I think brissett has every chance to be the backup that Jimmy is. I think if 12 goes down in quarter 1 of game 1 (which is just lazy comparable) expecting jimmy or brissett to get us that far is just ludicrous expectations.

Getting in to the playoffs? Yeh, I think either guy can take this division next year.

I haven't seen Brisset do anything yet, so it would be very surprising if we got the playoffs with Brisset. Even next year.

I haven't seen Brisset do anything yet, so it would be very surprising if we got the playoffs with Brisset. Even next year.
I'd like to know why some people assume the Patriots won't add a QB whether it be through Free Agency or in the draft as the potential back up or as the back up's back up.

If you think that there are multiple interested parties, why wouldn't your "starting point" be what you hope to get, though you really expect that you'll get less?

Like pricing your house for sale. The counter-offers that you will get are going to be lower, but you try it since a motivated buyer might say "gee, I'll snatch that one up"

Because that's not how the Term is used. Your application is certainly grammatically correct, though.
thumb.gif

01 ~ Schefter is probably the best Reporter ~ Conveyor of Facts ~ out there.
02 ~ But this was Speculation, not Reporting. He said so. On the Radio. I heard it live, a week or three ago.
03 ~ The 1st & 4th was a Reference of course to the Sam Bradford Trade.
04 ~ "Starting Point" means "Minimum".
05 ~ Schefter backed away from that, though. Therefore, he misused the Term. No big deal.

Schefter doesn't know what Mad Bill would demand for Garoppolo, and when challenged on it, declined to even speculate, even though he'd started the Conversation by employing the term "Starting Point", which, in negotiating, translates to "Minimum Acceptable Bid", beyond which of course the Seller is more than happy to let the Bidders bid against each other and drive the Price as high as one'r the other is willing to pay.

06 ~ It's fair to make note that Jimmy G's Resume is pretty thin, and God knows that these very Boards've been festooned over the Years with hilariously delirious notions of what our untested QuarterBacks, particularly Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer, might fetch on the Trade Market.

But I would point out that all Trades are based on Speculation, even for Battle Tested Veterans.

As they say: Past Performance is not Indicative of Future Results. :D

Planet Hoosten once paid #39, #48, and the difference between #08 and #10 ~ the Book Value of which equals #100 ~ for the immortal Matthew Schaub, based on exactly one Start. o_O

Against us, that Start was, in fact, and he'd completed 52.9% of his Passes. :rolleyes:

That's two 2nd Rounders and a 4th Rounder...for Matthew Schaub. :eek:

Charlie Whitehurst?

Sam Bradford??

Supply & Demand
, Ladies & Laddies. Jimmy Garoppolo's Resume, thin as it is, is far more impressive than that boasted by either Sam Bradford or Matthew Schaub when they were traded.

A 1st and a 4th?

I'd be disappointed if we got that little.
th_coffee.gif
To me, anyway, I see something along the lines of the Matt Cassel trade. We got #34 for him and Mike Vrabel. Turned out to be Patrick Chung. Vrabels a coach and Cassel is a has been, meanwhile Chung is a major contributor on a SB contender. Wasn't exactly how we drew it up with him leaving and coming back (Chung) but a solid trade in the long run.

To me the pick # matters less than the player(s) we get in return. Belichick and Caserio do a lot of research identifying players who will fit. Some do, some don't. I would think any trade involving Jimmy Grapes will consist of a pick but also current players being moved. If they move JG it will be a cool, we got a 2nd + that guy and sent player x or swapped picks or something like that.

If anyone here has been paying attention Nick and BB are anything but conventional when making trades. That's why this team makes trades more than any other. This is the most fun and interesting FO in all of football. They make trades like there running a baseball team. Its fascinating considering how few football teams approach it this way. Before Bill came to NE this was almost unheard of and the only players involved were high profile.

Not that way with Bill. He's busy stocking his minor league system and making roster moves at the major league level. What he's done in the last 17 years in terms of trades has changed the entire landscape and attitude in the NFL. Its extraordinary.

Hi guys, I was just thinking, what if we got a few middle round picks this year, a first for next years draft? There seems to be an awful lot of QB talent and we could possibly find another franchise guy in there? Or is this just being unrealistic

Exactly!! In the wise words of Max McGee, Super Bowl Hero: "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers, and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time." So Kontra's with me!! Who else?? :D

It is a sad day when OTG exposes himself as a secret Jets Fan who hates Tom "Avocado" Brady.

Disclosure: I love single malt beverages

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore