PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: Patriots want minimum of 1st and 4th round picks for QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the Browns trade for Jimmy Garoppolo? A closer look

Browns beat writer concludes, "I would balk at trading a high 1st round pick for Garoppolo, although I might consider trading a 2nd rounder and tapping into next year's draft....Trading for Garoppolo is a risk worth taking, as long as the asking price isn't anything too outlandish"

To which I respond:

belichick.gif

No one is forcing the Browns to trade a 1st round pick plus, for Garoppolo. They can select from the bountiful franchise QBs available in the draft or as FAs.

A college professor once told me something that has proven to be a truism for me and I've never forgotten it,

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten".

It doesn't matter how much you saved cheaping out on something if you are not happy with what you got.

I still hope a team blows the Pats away with a great offer and they get a mid first round pick in addition to some future picks.
If Brady stays healthy and plays 80% as well as this year - Jimmy G isn't seeing the field next year.

and if anything happens to the soon to be 40 year old, the Pats would be f*cked without Garoppolo and it would be a completely wasted year...but hey, at least we have a couple of draft picks

and if anything happens to the soon to be 40 year old, the Pats would be f*cked without Garoppolo and it would be a completely wasted year...but hey, at least we have a couple of draft picks
That's why it needs to be a strong offer. You're right. However - unless we Franchise him in 12 months - it's a one year thing and what is the probability of needing the backup QB ? Brady has never missed a game other than 20008. He's older now so maybe more likely to get hurt. But that's why it's a probability calculation. For a mid #2, the risk is too high. Start moving up the value chart to a low #1 or a mid #1 or more and the risk/reward calculation changes.

That's why it needs to be a strong offer. You're right. However - unless we Franchise him in 12 months - it's a one year thing and what is the probability of needing the backup QB ? Brady has never missed a game other than 20008. He's older now so maybe more likely to get hurt. But that's why it's a probability calculation. For a mid #2, the risk is too high. Start moving up the value chart to a low #1 or a mid #1 or more and the risk/reward calculation changes.

well then, you franchise him and deal with that........the difference between getting a 1st and something versus a 2nd and something is insignificant next to the security he buys you for a year

well then, you franchise him and deal with that........the difference between getting a 1st and something versus a 2nd and something is insignificant next to the security he buys you for a year
I just disagree with that. When you combine the player(s) you could draft with a #1 pick with the FA you could sign (or not lose) with the $20M (it'll be a little higher than that by next year), you're talking about a significant number of players to put around the QB. Brady is great - the G.O.A.T. - but he can't have the team dumbed down around him too much just as an insurance policy.

Again, if we traded JG for just a single #2 I would be against it. But the package you're referring to, a #1 and also not Franchising him, I think you're getting a little too locked in on this.

Can't believe I'm going to comment on this thread.

First and a fourth is fair value for a team that needs a QB and knows how to use him. A trade to Houston should put them into the playoffs for years.

First and a fourth will look really expensive for a team that needs a QB but has no clue how to compete in the NFL. Jimmy to the Browns would cap his ceiling and be the first step towards the end of his career.
The fourth will be confiscated by the league. Needs to be a third, either this year or next

I just disagree with that. When you combine the player(s) you could draft with a #1 pick with the FA you could sign (or not lose) with the $20M (it'll be a little higher than that by next year), you're talking about a significant number of players to put around the QB. Brady is great - the G.O.A.T. - but he can't have the team dumbed down around him too much just as an insurance policy.

Again, if we traded JG for just a single #2 I would be against it. But the package you're referring to, a #1 and also not Franchising him, I think you're getting a little too locked in on this.

I'm locked in on fielding the best team possible in 2017 with one eye on the future......with a 40 year old QB, you need a backup like Garoppolo or the year could be wasted........not worth the difference between trading him now and franchising him and trading him after the 2017 season

as for the 20M, I don't see your point......wither way, the assumption is that Garoppolo is gone.........unless something happens to your 40 year old QB who in a year will be a soon to be 41 year old QB in which case you will have bought yourself a year to keep a guy who is virtually irreplaceable for the next few years

as for the 20M, I don't see your point.
Earlier you referenced franchising him, maybe I misunderstood. Without franchising him it's a one year thing. The odds on Brady getting hurt badly next year ? Existent. But small.

ot worth the difference between trading him now and franchising him and trading him after the 2017 season

as for the 20M, I don't see your point......wither way, the assumption is that Garoppolo is gone........

I think the issue is that you're assuming you CAN trade him after you apply the franchise tag. IMO that's far from a sure thing. If you tag him, you have to be prepared to keep that salary on the books.

I think the issue is that you're assuming you CAN trade him after you apply the franchise tag. IMO that's far from a sure thing. If you tag him, you have to be prepared to keep that salary on the books.

were they planning on the possibility of keeping cassell on the books?

were they planning on the possibility of keeping cassell on the books?

Presumably they did know it was a risk, yes. But I'll bet they already knew Pioli would be willing take him off their hands, which made it a safer gamble.

And of course, Cassel had started 15 games, Jimmy has started 2. If he doesn't take a meaningful snap between now and 2018, do you really feel confident that a team will commit to a guaranteed $20 million for him? One of the reason's he's so valuable now is that you'd get a free evaluation year. (Don't you think Houston wishes they'd had that for Osweiler?)

Presumably they did know it was a risk, yes. But I'll bet they already knew Pioli would be willing take him off their hands, which made it a safer gamble.

And of course, Cassel had started 15 games, Jimmy has started 2. If he doesn't take a meaningful snap between now and 2018, do you really feel confident that a team will commit to a guaranteed $20 million for him? One of the reason's he's so valuable now is that you'd get a free evaluation year. (Don't you think Houston wishes they'd had that for Osweiler?)

Just to add something about Osweiler, I heard a bit on the radio where the Texans were working on his mechanics and had a towel under his arm. Per Brady Quinn that is something you would do when developing a QB in high school or earlier, not in the pros.

That really highlights how bad Osweiler's mechanics apparently are. The Texans really failed to do due diligence here.

but they did go from contender to chump because they had nobody to play at QB

still deflecting.

Also. Can't you find a better example than a franchise that missed the playoffs for 15 years, when comparing us to another franchise?

If a team offers a decent first rounder for him I think they will deal JG, anything short of that and they will keep him until someone offers that much. A 2nd is simply not worth it imo, better to keep him for 2017 and take the compensatory 3rd.

Teams that might go after JG:

SF #2 pick overall, I doubt they would part with it.

Chicago #3 I also doubt the Bears would give the number 3 overall.

Cleveland #12 overall. I think this is the most likely deal.

Arizona #13 overall. This one intrigues me, Garrapolo showed a lot of promise against Arizona, they are innwin now mode, and Palmer may be their greatest obstacle to that goal. If they think Palmer is done they might give Garrapolo serious consideration.

Houston # 25 they have a lot tied up in Osweiler but they are also a quality QB away from being a very good team. #25 may be too low to get it done from the Patriots side.

The Redskins could come into play if Cousins leaves as a Free Agent.

Should be interesting.

still deflecting.

Also. Can't you find a better example than a franchise that missed the playoffs for 15 years, when comparing us to another franchise?

Simple. 2008 Patriots going 11-5 and still missing the playoffs, with 7th rounder Matt Cassell as QB.

If Brady (god forbid) goes down in the 1st quarter of the season opener, the Patriots still have the second best quarterback in the AFC East, ready to take us into the playoffs - and possibly get us a bye.

All we need is one QB needy team, to offer a first this year and possible middle round picks for this year and next year and I'm sold. The depth of the draft this year is one of the best I have seen for years. If we get a decent first rounder this year, depending where it is, we go after one of the safety's in this class. In my opinion they are all NFL ready, with the expedition of peppers, as no one knows where he will play.. I love him massive fan and think we should take him with the 32.

If we get the value and we get a first and there is no one screaming to BB we just trade down and get more draft stock. The amount of talent coming out this year is remarkable could argue top 100 picks will all be very decent players. Same goes for next year. A draft isn't built with one pick, it's finding the value that will get you return.

All in all we get good value for Jimmy and I say we leave the rest to BB he proves it year in and year out, this franchise will not get done by hype in players like we do.

My personal opinion I think myles garret may become a bust..

Why would they trade a first round pick (and maybe more) to get Garroppolo when they already have a very comparable guy in Savage?

I believe that you are overrating Tom Savage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes