Solder
Amendola
one of Lewis/Burkhead
one of Waddle/Fleming
Harrison
M. Flowers

That means we still need (not Want, but Need):
CB to replace Malcolm Butler
DT to replace what Branch should've provided (but was unable/unwilling to do so)
MULTIPLE LBs

We have Wants on offense (developmental QB, healthy WRs, cheaper backup TEs, stable RB situation, backup LT if Solder re-signs), but...
we have NEEDS on defense.

WhyButler? He didn’t even play... :)

I kid I kid

So we’re down one corner. Pass rush would be good after the SB, ask me after the Jax game and the pass rush is great. What caught my eye vs. philly was tackling or the lack thereof. Anybody in the front 7 who tackled well that game? Going by reg season, tenn, and Jax you’d come out w 1 set of metrics. Whole other story in the SB.

LB is a position of need, IMO. High is good, when he’s on the field. Sometimes the D Line seemed to be getting good at getting pressure, not vs. philly.

My question is wtf happened in terms of the basics? Even if you’re allowing a qb time, even if you’re allowing short stuff across the middle - sticking to the other thing the front 7 is responsible for - it’s really important to get the guy on offense on the ground.

Was it just me or did our D look like the horde in the zombie movie, impotently clutching their outstretched hands and possibly moaning “brains”?

Let’s get guys that make other guys fall down.

So we’re down one corner. Pass rush would be good after the SB, ask me after the Jax game and the pass rush is great. What caught my eye vs. philly was tackling or the lack thereof. Anybody in the front 7 who tackled well that game? Going by reg season, tenn, and Jax you’d come out w 1 set of metrics. Whole other story in the SB.

LB is a position of need, IMO. High is good, when he’s on the field. Sometimes the D Line seemed to be getting good at getting pressure, not vs. philly.

My question is wtf happened in terms of the basics? Even if you’re allowing a qb time, even if you’re allowing short stuff across the middle - sticking to the other thing the front 7 is responsible for - it’s really important to get the guy on offense on the ground.

Was it just me or did our D look like the horde in the zombie movie, impotently clutching their outstretched hands and possibly moaning “brains”?

Let’s get guys that make other guys fall down.

Nobody on the Pats defense tackled well in that game - Chung and McCourty both whiffed at least a couple times, especially early. I spent most of the first quarter yelling at the TV screen, "Can one of you guys make a damn tackle sometime today??!!" (apparently, they couldn't hear me).

And one thing that receiver, #12? He doesn't belong on an NFL receiving corps, period.

Nobody on the Pats defense tackled well in that game - Chung and McCourty both whiffed at least a couple times, especially early. I spent most of the first quarter yelling at the TV screen, "Can one of you guys make a damn tackle sometime today??!!" (apparently, they couldn't hear me).

I did the same thing. They heard us, they just weren't mentally tough, and it got to them and made it worse :)

I'd have to re-watch again. Was Chung missing once he failed to cover, or when playing run too?

Yep. The failure of Jonny Badmostly to wrap up Nelson Agholor on 3rd/6 in the 3rd quarter was an absolute Killer. Malcolm Butler makes that tackle.

I did the same thing. They heard us, they just weren't mentally tough, and it got to them and made it worse :)

I'd have to re-watch again. Was Chung missing once he failed to cover, or when playing run too?

At this point, I'm still trying to suppress the detailed memories.

From what I can bring myself to remember, the poor tackling actually started with special teams on Gost's kicks (Gost had to make a tackle himself at one point, and even Richards prevented a longer return after someone else whiffed). But, yeah, there did seem to be more missed tackles allowing big YAC than missed tackles allowing big runs. OTOH, Blount always seemed to be gaining great yardage after contact, no matter who was on him.

Generally, it seemed like the defense would tighten up for a play or two with a guy making a good tackle (even Roberts). Then, on the next play, someone would eff-up and allow a first down or a big play.

Also generally speaking, there didn't seem to be very many "swarming to the ball" type smothering of offensive plays. It was like the defense was spread too thin, or biting on fakes that took a couple out of position, or they were simply getting blocked by Philly players. It seemed like everybody on the Philly offense blocked really well, and nobody on the Pats defense could shed worth a damn. Chung, McCourty, Trey Flowers, Harrison, Gilmore all got solo-blocked out of plays at one point or another.

You mean, aide from a sack and 4 tackles v. MIA, and a sack, 2 tackles and a safety v. the Jets?
The hate for a young guy we picked up on the cheap and who managed to stand on his own two feet and show some promise is odd to me. This D has some talent and with guys like Lee, you’d have to think that a full off-season in the program could mean something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back