PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Absolute Needs; Obviously there are lots of wants for upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have a playoff quality team with our contracted players, and a contender for the AFC Championship and SB with a normal off-season, and a normal amount of injuries to key players. Obviously, there are lots of need to upgrade almost every unit on defense (although Belichick probably disagrees with regard to safety. This is often the case. We see critical needs, and Belichick is fine with what we have.
=========
Needs are a different story. They MUST be addressed. These needs COULD be addressed fully by re-signing all of our own free agents at these positions, although this will likely not happen.
=============
NEED NUMBER ONE - OT
Our starters are now Cannon and Garcia, both coming off injuries. Our backup is Jelks.

NEED NUMBER TWO - RB
Our starters are now White and Gillislie. Our backup is Develin, our FB.
===========
Sure, we have wants on defense. But they are NOT needs. Let me use the sample everyone uses: LB.

Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts, McClellan, Rivers, Grigsby, and Harris.

Even with the expected early cutting of Harris (and Flowers signing elsewhere), we have a complete LB unit. And yes, it is the unit where we most WANT to see upgrades.

Last edited:
I see Roberts and Grigsby as bubble guys, regardless. McClellin is the unknown. I still laugh a bit at how underrated that guy was last year, as people somehow seeem to think he's not that good. I see a very athletic, fast, 3-4 experienced guy that found a niche here last year. But, I do fear his career is over a la Mike Wright in 2010.

Need to resign Flowers, but I truly think if you had the speed of McClellin and Flowers, mainly McClellin's strategic versatility, it's a huge win for the LB group into 2018.

I think we draft one high, even if these above scenarios play out.

IMO, people are overreacting to the loss. The secondary was pretty much the strongest secondary in the AFC, in terms of continuity, experience and versatility.

The LBs obviously very much missed what Hightower represents to the D.

I think the real obvious draft needs on D are DT, CB and LB in no order.

QB, maybe RD 2 with the SF pick makes sense.

Absolute need is defense.

Between having a stout front seven and a meh secondary or the opposite, I prefer the first option, but it seems that the Pats are going on the opposite direction in recent years, spending all the coin on a secondary that won't be able to get of the field with the QB of the other team making a selfie and posting on instagram before throwing the ball.

Give me some pass rush.

You don't give up 41 points in a Super Bowl where your linebackers couldn't decode rudimentary play fakes or tackle and think you have "a complete linebacker unit." We have a bunch of spares occupying roster space that belongs to somebody else and one great player (Hightower) who often can't stay healthy.

You don't give up 41 points in a Super Bowl where your linebackers couldn't decode rudimentary play fakes or tackle and think you have "a complete linebacker unit." We have a bunch of spares occupying roster space that belongs to somebody else and one great player (Hightower) who often can't stay healthy.
Agreed, although I think the debate is for players without many numbers at a certain position versus the desire to upgrade at positions like LB and CB, which already have good numbers but are somewhat lacking in talent.

The fact that we had Roberts starting and Richards playing a lot in the Super Bowl should be telling signs. I think defense, defense and more defense is what we need. We gave up over 40 points in the super bowl, if that doesn't say anything, than nothing will.

The fact that we had Roberts starting and Richards playing a lot in the Super Bowl should be telling signs. I think defense, defense and more defense is what we need. We gave up over 40 points in the super bowl, if that doesn't say anything, than nothing will.
Yes, Ashley, defense should definitely be the main focus, but there are also other positions that may need to be addressed, too.

The situations of guys like Solder/Fleming/Waddle, plus the need to start grooming a QB who will take a couple of offseasons to start to develop. That’s not even getting into the Lewis/Burkhead/Bolden situation, or the Gronk/Bennett/Allen situation.

I don't care who they bring in on D, but they absolutely have to be able to get more 3 and outs... They were 27th in 3 and outs per drive last season. When u have Brady you have to get him the ball as many times as possible. U don't do that by letting teams go from the 25 to at least the Pats 40 or 35 every drive. They were also #31 in plays per drive...
In 2015 they were #1 in 3 and outs, only gave up 20 on the road in the AFC title game and lost to the best D in the league...

#1 Need, imo, is a big disruptive NT. That changes the whole front 3 or 4 dynamic. You have that and the rest falls into place.

3-4-4

DT's: Butler, VV, Guy, Bigs ass Beast NT, Brown (Rotational - pick 3)
DE's: Rivers, Flowers, Trees, Wise (Rotational - pick 2)
LB's: Hightower, KVN (Need to add two with speed: Langi and ??)

Secondary: Gilmore, Rowe, Chung, McCourty.

Kaboom.

You're welcome. :D

DT is an absolute need whether through the draft or FA. Branch is done, who knows what to expect out of VV, we brought in journeyman RJF out of necessity, and malcolm brown will be in the last year of his deal.

#1 Need, imo, is a big disruptive NT. That changes the whole front 3 or 4 dynamic. You have that and the rest falls into place.

3-4-4

DT's: Butler, VV, Guy, Bigs ass Beast NT, Brown (Rotational - pick 3)
DE's: Rivers, Flowers, Trees, Wise (Rotational - pick 2)
LB's: Hightower, KVN (Need to add two with speed: Langi and ??)

Secondary: Gilmore, Rowe, Chung, McCourty.

Kaboom.

You're welcome. :D
That’s a specific enough want that we might as well talk about names other than descriptions. I see a potential top-10 draft pick and not much else in free agency or the draft. Who else is out there?

I'd say the OP's manipulation of the words "needs" and "wants" is pretty shameless.

If rivers is back he might me the xfactor they need on the edge hoping he makes an impact next season

Pass rush

We don’t have one. So anything is an upgrade

Absolute best-case scenario is that we re-sign All of the following:
Solder
Amendola
one of Lewis/Burkhead
one of Waddle/Fleming
Harrison
M. Flowers

That means we still need (not Want, but Need):
CB to replace Malcolm Butler
DT to replace what Branch should've provided (but was unable/unwilling to do so)
MULTIPLE LBs

We have Wants on offense (developmental QB, healthy WRs, cheaper backup TEs, stable RB situation, backup LT if Solder re-signs), but...
we have NEEDS on defense.

That’s a specific enough want that we might as well talk about names other than descriptions. I see a potential top-10 draft pick and not much else in free agency or the draft. Who else is out there?

Poe is a FA but would probably cost 10 million plus a year. Is he worth it? I don't know. Pretty much handicaps any other move you want to make.

Tim Settle is projected as a 2nd round pick but I don't know anything about him except that he's rated fairly high on some scouting links.

Since we were among the very top teams in scoring defense, I guess this isn't essential. Or perhaps, we had one and you didn't notice?
While the poster that you quoted may have been acting a bit over the top with his comments, our sacks came in spurts, so there were plenty of other times where an improvement in the pass rush could’ve made a big difference. One needs to look no further than Belichick complaining about it in the SB, asking for more blitzes, and then seeing the extra rusher(s) fail, too.

Also, we went through a stretch where the defense only caused 3 turnovers over the last 8 games of the season, including the lack of a single turnover in 5/6 games that came down the stretch run and into the postseason. There’s absolutely no reason to think that an improvement in the pass rush wouldn’t be something that could go quite a long way towards forcing errant throws, improving 3rd down conversion rates, and causing turnovers.

More importantly, the season was bookended with the 2 worst defensive performances in the entire 18 year Belichick era, so I’m going to assume that he’s working towards an improvement in that area, whether we padded stats against the Tyrod Taylors, Bryce Pettys and Jay Cutlers of the East or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back