PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Donald 0 sacks 1 QBs hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen an OL playing this good since the Nebraska days of the 90s. Rams DL grew noticeably tired in the 4th. Runs started to open back up and on our td drive brady had all day to throw.

You are disagreeing that the patriots did a good job game planning to limit the impact of Aaron Donald.
When, he had 1 QBs hit, 0 sacks, and the entire defense had pressure on only 14% of the pass plays the least by any sb team in 10 years. Because while the patriots ran for over 5 yards per carry they didn’t run well on every play. Here are their rushing numbers by drive (again leaving out kneeldowns)
4/27 (1 tackle for Donald)
5/7 on a 11 play 60 yard drive ending in a FG attempt (0 tackles for Donald)
1/4. (0)
1/1 on 6 play 49 yard FG drive (0)
1/3. Run pass pass 3 and out (0)
1/3 converted 1st after that run (1)
3/14 rrp converted rpp didn’t convert 3 and 2(0)
1/2 failed on 3rd and 5 after a penalty on a pass play (0)
4/26 failed 3rd and 4 (1)
1/2 TOUCHDOWN (0)
8/67 FG (2)

i dont See any of the instances you say happened where we couldn’t run and that caused missed 3rd and longs.
I see one drive of good run defense (the second one) and that included a -4 that wasn’t Donald making the play.
And I see Donald making 5 tackles, 4 of which were assists.

Please point out to me the instanced where Aaron Donald had the type of impact on this game that a DPOY and best DL would be expected to have.

Again you are making a straw man argument. All I said was that Michel felt the impact of Donald in the run game. Some of that was directly, some indirectly from the attention Donald was garnering enabling others to make plays on defense. I can not see how you can dispute the fact that between the first drive and the 19 yard run with 1:18 to go in the 3rd quarter, the Rams defense shut down our running game to a large extent. That is all I’ve asserted and it seems pretty evident to me.

Other than the fact that he is disagreeing that the patriots limited the impact of Aaron Donald.

No I didn’t. I actually agreed, particularly in the passing game. In fact, I explicitly said that I wasn’t contradicting you. I just talked about the run game rather than focusing solely on the passing game. I also explicitly said that our OL limited Donald.

Other than the fact that he is disagreeing that the patriots limited the impact of Aaron Donald.

Against the run during parts of the game that don't include the beginning or the end of the game... which was the point of his original post. Nowhere did he argue that those two points of the game didn't matter (straw man), only that Donald was able to rebound after the first drive and before the last drive.

And I always knew I wasn't on ignore. Finally fished you out.

No I didn’t. I actually agreed, particularly in the passing game. In fact, I explicitly said that I wasn’t contradicting you. I just talked about the run game rather than focusing solely on the passing game. I also explicitly said that our OL limited Donald.

They did an excellent job of limiting both of them. Outside of the throw down on Brady by Donald (which IMO should have been flagged), neither he nor Suh got near him.

They did an excellent job of limiting both of them. Outside of the throw down on Brady by Donald (which IMO should have been flagged), neither he nor Suh got near him.

The OL play last night and all season has been a real pleasure to watch. They’re not the biggest and they’re not people movers but they must be the most skilled OL in the NFL. A real joy to watch.

Again you are making a straw man argument. All I said was that Michel felt the impact of Donald in the run game. Some of that was directly, some indirectly from the attention Donald was garnering enabling others to make plays on defense. I can not see how you can dispute the fact that between the first drive and the 19 yard run with 1:18 to go in the 3rd quarter, the Rams defense shut down our running game to a large extent. That is all I’ve asserted and it seems pretty evident to me.
I just laid out each drive. Now you appear to think Donald had a mystical impact.
The second drive we had a -4 that Donald had nothing to do with and 4 other runs for 11 on a decent drive.
After that we ran only one time in the next 4 drives.
Then we ran 1 time again, then 3/14, 1 for td. Then we ran it then their throats to close the game.

There is just nothing here showing an impact by Donald.

Are you telling me this is the evidence of a dominating unblockable DPOY DT and this is a normal game for him?

Against the run during parts of the game that don't include the beginning or the end of the game... which was the point of his original post. Nowhere did he argue that those two points of the game didn't matter (straw man), only that Donald was able to rebound after the first drive and before the last drive.

And I always knew I wasn't on ignore. Finally fished you out.
You were always on ignore, and you know that. As I said I cleared all my ignores today.

I just laid out each drive. Now you appear to think Donald had a mystical impact.
The second drive we had a -4 that Donald had nothing to do with and 4 other runs for 11 on a decent drive.
After that we ran only one time in the next 4 drives.
Then we ran 1 time again, then 3/14, 1 for td. Then we ran it then their throats to close the game.

There is just nothing here showing an impact by Donald.

Are you telling me this is the evidence of a dominating unblockable DPOY DT and this is a normal game for him?

Again, I agreed we impacted Donald’s game and I never said he was a dominating unblockable DL last night. I merely stated that he and the rest of the DL had an impact on our running game.

Yeah, and if a couple plays were changed, the "best team" would have lost. It is NOT a plus to have decimated the Rams for a half and be ahead 3-0.

That is true from every other Pats' SB how?

Again, I agreed we impacted Donald’s game and I never said he was a dominating unblockable DL last night. I merely stated that he and the rest of the DL had an impact on our running game.
But you agree our running game was very good?

I think they struggled for much of the game against a top notch defensive line featuring four former 1st rounders. I also think they wore them down so that late ite game Michel and Burkhead were able to make some big runs. I have been very happy with our running game this year, particularly in te pst-seaso but they were less successful yesterday for most of the game.

First drive when they took advantage of his aggressiveness and final drive when they needed it? Sure. In between? Not so much. They ran 18 times for 62 yards during that stretch and that includes an 8 yarder by Edelman and Michel's 19 yarder. He was right in his OP. Outside of those two drives, the Rams DL clamped down on the ground game. The Patriots responded by putting it in Brady's hands for much of the game during that time.

Last edited:
We ran for 154 yards and over 5 ypc outside of kneeldowns. Michel was 18/94

The run game had it's moments just as the Rams' D definitely had its moments stopping it. But of most critical importance; when the Patriots were up by 7 and needed to kill time off the clock (starting inside their own 10 yard line), our run game vs the Ram D was all but a knock out punch. Sony came up a half yard short to officially ending the game (only 3 Brady kneel downs would have been needed). Yet even being a half yard short, the result of the run game at the most critical point was to virtually put the game away (once SG made the FG).

When the Patriots needed the Run VS when the Rams needed to stop the run? Game set and match to the Patriots run game.

The OL play last night and all season has been a real pleasure to watch. They’re not the biggest and they’re not people movers but they must be the most skilled OL in the NFL. A real joy to watch.

Agreed. Their communication is also excellent.

I think they struggled for much of the game against a top notch defensive line featuring four former 1st rounders. I also think they wore them down so that late ite game Michel and Burkhead were able to make some big runs. I have been very happy with our running game this year, particularly in te pst-seaso but they were less successful yesterday for most of the game.
Then we just disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore