PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Take on Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its simple. Jamie Collins can't cover a tight end or a running back. And because of that he is not a 3 down linebacker. Problem is with his freakish athleticism he probably feels he can cover and is a full time player. And when BB sits him he can probably hear Collins mumbling on the sideline (or knows he soon will). This is because Collins knows to get a big contract at ILB you to be considered a full time player. I'm over it.
BB replaced him on rushing downs.

A future deal linked?? For a player they won't have in 10 weeks? I've never heard of a future deal when not announced as part of the trade.

I think its simple. Jamie Collins can't cover a tight end or a running back. And because of that he is not a 3 down linebacker. Problem is with his freakish athleticism he probably feels he can cover and is a full time player. And when BB sits him he can probably hear Collins mumbling on the sideline (or knows he soon will). This is because Collins knows to get a big contract at ILB you to be considered a full time player. I'm over it.
Well, if you combine that with the Pat's apparent belief that he can't play the run, what are you left with?

A future deal linked?? For a player they won't have in 10 weeks? I've never heard of a future deal when not announced as part of the trade.
How would you know that Cleveland doesn't give him a contract greater then he could receive anywhere, and he signs. I was actually being wishful on my link, which I was responding to another post. OTH, how would you know of "handshakes" behind the scenes. I'm sure its never happens..........

In SB 49, in the 4th quarter with Seattle 3rd and 10, Marshawn Lynch went right by Collins towards the right sideline but gave up on the play thinking Wilson would not throw to him. Wilson did throw towards him and the ball sailed over Lynch. Patriots dodged a major bullet as Lynch was already 2 steps clear of Collins at that time. Seattle punts and Patriots begin the Championship drive.

Like Collins Jones is a great talent but also like Collins he favors playing video games over football and is likely to want huge money this offseason. I think they knew that they weren't paying Collins when they traded Jones but I doubt they realized they would be shipping him off mid season.

Playing Video games isn't the issue. If you practiced football and watched game film all day you might not want to come home and watch more football. I think Chandler was a reasonable move... I think Collins was more of a cut your losses now... kinda move.

Do you think they would have outright cut Collins if they couldn't trade him? I actually don't because that mean that any team including a contender could pick him up.

It is a fascinating move and not in a good way.

In SB 49, in the 4th quarter with Seattle 3rd and 10, Marshawn Lynch went right by Collins towards the right sideline but gave up on the play thinking Wilson would not throw to him. Wilson did throw towards him and the ball sailed over Lynch. Patriots dodged a major bullet as Lynch was already 2 steps clear of Collins at that time. Seattle punts and Patriots begin the Championship drive.

Awesome. So now we can disparage Collins for plays that didn't happen but could have happened.

We're gonna be on this one for a while I can see.

I remember that play and they dodged a bullet, that was why I was more disappointed in Collins on the last drive when Lynch wheeled him for the big gain--he'd already been beaten on it once.

I think this is one of the few stories the media has actually gotten right lately.

Last edited:
They showed a clip on the Sunday night pregame of Collins getting beat for a TD looking "confused" which I guess is understandable? Then they show him afterwards laughing on the sidelines with Rodney adding "That's why BB traded him".. funny

It's funny how perceptions change. From a pro bowl player last year, fans and players shocked at the move, consisdered one of the best LB on the team and now we say, he was terrible against the run, freelances too much, can't cover. Every good play is erased from memory and all that is left is the negative. I didn't see anyone hollering for him to be traded before the trade deadline. Even when we heard about the trade, we expected a high value pick or player in return. Why think that if he is such a terrible player. Before the trade I bet the majority would say that Collins was the 2nd best LB on the team. The same player that we won a SB with 2014. If we are taking media reports as being accurate then the Patriots offered Collins a contract. Why offer him a contract at all if he was such a liability. Why not trade Collins at the beginning of the year if Belichick was pissed at him. His value would have been much higher then and would have fetched a much higher return. Would Collins have been traded at the trade deadline if he wasn't a free agent at the end of the year. I don't know the answer to that but I think Collins would still be here if he still had a year to go on his contract.

It's funny how perceptions change. From a pro bowl player last year, fans and players shocked at the move, consisdered one of the best LB on the team and now we say, he was terrible against the run, freelances too much, can't cover. Every good play is erased from memory and all that is left is the negative. I didn't see anyone hollering for him to be traded before the trade deadline. Even when we heard about the trade, we expected a high value pick or player in return. Why think that if he is such a terrible player. Before the trade I bet the majority would say that Collins was the 2nd best LB on the team. The same player that we won a SB with 2014. If we are taking media reports as being accurate then the Patriots offered Collins a contract. Why offer him a contract at all if he was such a liability. Why not trade Collins at the beginning of the year if Belichick was pissed at him. His value would have been much higher then and would have fetched a much higher return. Would Collins have been traded at the trade deadline if he wasn't a free agent at the end of the year. I don't know the answer to that but I think Collins would still be here if he still had a year to go on his contract.

He certainly was our 2nd best LB. I think the trade may end up being for the best, crazier things have happened. I mostly just want to feel better about losing one of our best players, though, and one of the best ways to do that is to believe information that claims he wasn't one of our best players.

Who's gonna jump over the center on FG now? :(:(

With more time for it to sink in, I still wish he was on the team. I've considered him a double-edged sword for awhile. Even in that afccg, he gave up both touchdowns to Owen Daniels but after he settled down, he had some timely sacks later in that game.

Lets not trash the guy now that he is gone. While inconsistent, lets not pretend like he isn't capable of taking over a game. This year however, he wasn't playing the greatest against the run. It really stood out in the Steeler game. Along with shooting into the backfield and missing, there were a few plays where there was zero effort from him against the run. I think that game played a major part in his trade.

hard hitting LB whom is liable against passing.... sounds like Brandon Spikes to me. We got the best out of him, let us just move on.

Collins has the same agent that Adalius Thomas and Rany Moss had.

A guy named Bus Cook.

Anyone else seeing a trend in the way these three players departed?
Makes me wonder why the Pats sign anyone with Bus Cook as their agent, unless there are other Patriot players who are represented by Cook, yet who buy into the Patriot way.

hard hitting LB whom is liable against passing.... sounds like Brandon Spikes to me. We got the best out of him, let us just move on.
So Collins' game = Spikes' game

What the what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes