PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Take on Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rapoport on the Collins trade:

Rarely do I find media making terse statements that are also seemingly accurate. So to be fair when I see it I'd like to give credit. "being made part time"... "found a suitor. Dealing Collins was an easy call. He wasn’t part of their future".

Bingo. Collins has a great upside -- we've seen some of it -- but if BB, MP & Staff made the decision he was now a part time player and there was concern this decision would not play out well in the locker room, the trade was an easy call.
In terms of what we received, when I first heard the surprising news my visceral reaction was a 2nd round pick was deserved. The reality is at best it is either an end of the round 3rd round pick or a nearly first in line (likely) in the 4th round in 2018, Given Collins was no longer going to be a Patriot in 8 games (plus 3 playoff wins :)) and given some of the tape of his recent play** was not showing the continual budding dominant defensive force we had seen last year, if we would have received a 2nd round pick for him it would have been a steal. It might have even caused Goodell, Ted Wells and Exponent to prove more science worthy of a Abbott and Costello comedy routine.

**I just re-watched the Bills-Patriots game with an eye on Collins. I'm not panning his performance, I didn't see him being a human doormat, however, if you have time take a look at the replay of the game for yourselves with a focus on Collins. The guy has got a hampering injury and/or his mind isn't right/isn't in game shape. My expectation (right or wrong) of Collins is that when the play comes to his area he is at least semi-frequently going to be a play stopping force. Re-watch it for yourselves and tell me that "semi-frequent play stopping force" is how you would describe Collins' play.
IMHO this trade, albeit to the sorry Browns, is good for Collins. Maybe it's just what he needs to get his mind right and/or in a situation that is more right for his play.

Makes me wonder why the Pats sign anyone with Bus Cook as their agent, unless there are other Patriot players who are represented by Cook, yet who buy into the Patriot way.
Exactly this. They probably won't going forward.

It's funny how perceptions change. From a pro bowl player last year, fans and players shocked at the move, consisdered one of the best LB on the team and now we say, he was terrible against the run, freelances too much, can't cover. Every good play is erased from memory and all that is left is the negative. I didn't see anyone hollering for him to be traded before the trade deadline. Even when we heard about the trade, we expected a high value pick or player in return. Why think that if he is such a terrible player. Before the trade I bet the majority would say that Collins was the 2nd best LB on the team. The same player that we won a SB with 2014. If we are taking media reports as being accurate then the Patriots offered Collins a contract. Why offer him a contract at all if he was such a liability. Why not trade Collins at the beginning of the year if Belichick was pissed at him. His value would have been much higher then and would have fetched a much higher return. Would Collins have been traded at the trade deadline if he wasn't a free agent at the end of the year. I don't know the answer to that but I think Collins would still be here if he still had a year to go on his contract.
Because he became more of a liability over time.

I thought he played really well today against Dallas. He consistently shed tacklers and Made plays. He may have missed a couple, but overall he was the best player on defense today for Cleveland.,

i heard this comment somewhere that he showed up for a walk through with plastic covering his hands because he had a manicure. did anybody else hear this?

I do: this place is Whinebag Central.
I wasn't whining. I was making a point that this trade isn't as outrageously bad as it seems on it's own and pointing out players we've picked up on the cheap and drafted along the way.

That being said it's a sports message board and this is actually the right place to whine about this type of ****. It's kinda what we do here. You should understand this by now Jackson, you've been here a long time old friend. :)

Like Collins Jones is a great talent but also like Collins he favors playing video games over football and is likely to want huge money this offseason. I think they knew that they weren't paying Collins when they traded Jones but I doubt they realized they would be shipping him off mid season.
This is about what I think. One of Belichick's major questions to knew players has always been "is football important to you?". He knows if the answer is truthful and from the heart or just lip service. Don't lie to Dad. He can farking see right thru you and into your soul.

As is usual when someone is traded away from a Boston (New England) sports team, the critics of Jamie Collins have descended like vultures onto a still live body. Maybe he deserves all of this criticism, maybe not. His first game with the Browns was not very good. He looked out of place and was badly burned by Jason Witten on the TD pass. There were none of the freakishly athletic moves we have become accustomed to from Collins. In his defense, Collins had only one week to absorb the Browns' system. I feel a final judgement on his abilities should be delayed by at least a month. If he still looks the same as the end of this year, then all the critics were right. I for one hope that Jamie Collins returns to form and wish him all the best.

Nah. Chandler wouldn't be worth what he'll be looking for - which is likely a pretty big contract. I think that trade worked out well for us.

I think Butler will be seeking a fairly big contract of his own (along with Hightower.) Choosing Butler and Hightower over Chandler and Collins is a no brainer. Butler and Hightower have been our two best and most valuable players since SB49, while Chandler has always disappeared when it mattered most, and Collins was very inconsistent and apparently freelanced quite a bit.
Agreed. I apparently overrated Collins a bit admittedly. Lesson learned.

I never knew these behind the scenes things about Collins, its definitely useful in determining his value to the team going forward.... but I'll miss him on this team, he was an exciting player to watch and has rare physical gifts that can't be replicated with 1 guy.. they'll need to use a few guys to do what he did

It brings comfort to have Roberts step up and be such a contributor.. and i remember a poster in the offseason that was really excited about Roberts and knew a lot about his college career, etc.. i dont even think mini camps had started yet, so there was no workouts etc to even contribute to that

Props to that poster! All season, i just kept finding myself being like, oh who was that? Damn.. that Roberts guy moved quick on that play.... oh damn, theres Roberts again flying like a missile... slowly over the season I started to see what this poster saw before he stepped onto an NFL field haha :) I really hope he can continue to build a bigger and bigger role in this defense and become a consistent, reliable contributor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes