PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Take on Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhExaulted1

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I realize it's been analyzed ad nauseam but here's a line of thought that's been itching away at me:

Here we have Collins, the 52nd pick in 2013 due to be a FA after this season. Great athlete, good player. Maybe just a tad overhyped on a perennial SB contender. We send him packing for a comp pick somewhere in the 97-103 range in this draft or a straight up 4 in 2018.

That comp pick is a projected award this year for C Alex Mack who signed a 5-year, $45 mil contract with ATL this offseason according to OTC. Thats the back end of the 3rd Rd projected comps. If that pick is a 4th Rd compensation award we have Cleveland's straight up 4 in 2018.

That being explained I turn to the roster. At 6-3-4 250-265 in there mid-20's and playing LB/DE we have numerous players in that range. If you think we got short-changed in the Collins deal think about how we raided Clev. for Barkevious Mingo. The 6th overall pick in 2013 for a 5th. We got Kyle Van Noy (40th pick in 2014) and a 7th for a 6th. We got Shea McClellan (#19 in 2012) in FA. We also stole Trevor Reilly from the Jets who's on th PS. We stole Jabaar Sheard from Clev and still have Hightower, Geneo Grissom and Trey Flowers on the roster.

To me, sometimes, I think many here are victims to the repeated success we enjoy and there overall perspective of what we are witnessing is tainted by it. Spoiled brats abound in this forum.

I don't think it's quite the same thing considering Collins has done more than all of those players combined.

But perhaps the bye week plays a part in getting Mingo or Van Noy more reps to get them up to speed in the D, as well as giving Roberts more time to grow into the absence.

Rapoport on the Collins trade:

If Collins was playing according to the system, along with the defense, I think he would have played the year out. Flashy plays are great. Stupid plays that turn a short run into a 28 yard gouge are unacceptable. Just my opinion.

You might recall Big bang clock made some big plays and went in and out of the doghouse. Suddenly, he was gone because he was wrecking the defense, I assume. We were much less prepared then, as they've apparently been filling in anticipation of dropping Collins this year.

When you ignore your assignment to go for the tackle, on this team, you leave a hole and possibly a big play. I imagine, eventually, you cause others to blow assignments to, so you end up with a tear down and start over, as in Meriweather's situation.

In retrospect, I wonder if trading Chandler Jones and keeping Jamie Collins was the wrong thing to do.

Nah. Chandler wouldn't be worth what he'll be looking for - which is likely a pretty big contract. I think that trade worked out well for us.

I think Butler will be seeking a fairly big contract of his own (along with Hightower.) Choosing Butler and Hightower over Chandler and Collins is a no brainer. Butler and Hightower have been our two best and most valuable players since SB49, while Chandler has always disappeared when it mattered most, and Collins was very inconsistent and apparently freelanced quite a bit.

Here we have Collins, the 52nd pick in 2013 due to be a FA after this season. Great athlete, good player. Maybe just a tad overhyped on a perennial SB contender. We send him packing for a comp pick somewhere in the 97-103 range in this draft or a straight up 4 in 2018.

If you think we got short-changed in the Collins deal think about how we raided Clev. for Barkevious Mingo. The 6th overall pick in 2013 for a 5th.
Do you suppose these two deals were linked?

You keep using the word "steal" in a way I'm not sure fits.

I realize it's been analyzed ad nauseam but here's a line of thought that's been itching away at me:

That comp pick is a projected award this year for C Alex Mack who signed a 5-year, $45 mil contract with ATL this offseason according to OTC. Thats the back end of the 3rd Rd projected comps. If that pick is a 4th Rd compensation award we have Cleveland's straight up 4 in 2018.

That being explained I turn to the roster. At 6-3-4 250-265 in there mid-20's and playing LB/DE we have numerous players in that range. If you think we got short-changed in the Collins deal think about how we raided Clev. for Barkevious Mingo. The 6th overall pick in 2013 for a 5th. We got Kyle Van Noy (40th pick in 2014) and a 7th for a 6th. We got Shea McClellan (#19 in 2012) in FA. We also stole Trevor Reilly from the Jets who's on th PS. We stole Jabaar Sheard from Clev and still have Hightower, Geneo Grissom and Trey Flowers on the roster.

To me, sometimes, I think many here are victims to the repeated success we enjoy and there overall perspective of what we are witnessing is tainted by it. Spoiled brats abound in this forum.
I honestly don't know what your point is here.

Do you suppose these two deals were linked?
I keep hoping that there's a future deal with Cleveland which is somehow linked (influenced) by the Collins trade.

What is the obession toward Collins? He almost lost the SB for us by allowing Lynch's huge catch right before the half which resulted a quick TD. He was awful against Denver last yr in the playoff. Yeah, he jumped over some lineman and blocked a field goal

In retrospect, I wonder if trading Chandler Jones and keeping Jamie Collins was the wrong thing to do.

Like Collins Jones is a great talent but also like Collins he favors playing video games over football and is likely to want huge money this offseason. I think they knew that they weren't paying Collins when they traded Jones but I doubt they realized they would be shipping him off mid season.

What is the obession toward Collins? He almost lost the SB for us by allowing Lynch's huge catch right before the half which resulted a quick TD. He was awful against Denver last yr in the playoff. Yeah, he jumped over some lineman and blocked a field goal

I've been waiting for someone to make this point. In the SB I remember him giving up that long pass play to Lynch on the last drive - that's the dumbest play ever, you don't let Lynch get behind you in that situation, with 2 minutes to go and ahead by 4. I also remember him getting juked by Russell. The guy didn't play smart. When you have a clear shot at Russell you need to be ready for the juke - fake like you're going to come straight at him but being ready to change direction when he jukes.

Like Collins Jones is a great talent but also like Collins he favors playing video games over football and is likely to want huge money this offseason. I think they knew that they weren't paying Collins when they traded Jones but I doubt they realized they would be shipping him off mid season.
He's also partial to showing up in police station parking lots, naked and howling at the moon.

I've been waiting for someone to make this point. In the SB I remember him giving up that long pass play to Lynch on the last drive - that's the dumbest play ever, you don't let Lynch get behind you in that situation, with 2 minutes to go and ahead by 4. I also remember him getting juked by Russell. The guy didn't play smart. When you have a clear shot at Russell you need to be ready for the juke - fake like you're going to come straight at him but being ready to change direction when he jukes.

Jones was the one Wilson juked for s big gain.

The Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins trades gave us a late 2nd and and a comp 3rd back (assuming Alex Mack will stay healthy for the Falcons), i.e. the value of a mid-2nd round pick. We got respectively 4 and 3.5 years of defensive production from a late-1st and a mid-2nd round picks (i.e. mid-1st round value), enough time to figure out they were good but inconsistent players not worth franchise players money. They never lived up to the expectations come january/february (think Owens Daniel in AFCCG 15, Marshawn Lynch in SB 49, 2 career sacks in 9 PO games for Chandler...). Thanks & good luck to both of them.

If.......If............Then.......And/or

From Collins perspective:

If............Jamie Collins wants a monster contract comparable to sack-stud DE/LBs like Vonn Miller
and
If............Jamie Collins only has only one sack
Then......Jamie Collins might be inclined to deviate from the defensive game plan to pad personal stats for future monetary benefit
And/or....Collins might be inclined to dial down effort to avoid potential catastrophic injury

From BB's perspective:

If.........Patriots refuse to meet a Collin's contract demands midseason
and
If.........Collins subsequently freelances
Then....BB cannot trust Collins to "do his job"
And/or .... BB will not expect Collins to sacrifice his health...aka...Future Financial Security.....for the benefit of the NE Patriots

I keep hoping that there's a future deal with Cleveland which is somehow linked (influenced) by the Collins trade.

A future deal linked?? For a player they won't have in 10 weeks? I've never heard of a future deal when not announced as part of the trade.

I think its simple. Jamie Collins can't cover a tight end or a running back. And because of that he is not a 3 down linebacker. Problem is with his freakish athleticism he probably feels he can cover and is a full time player. And when BB sits him he can probably hear Collins mumbling on the sideline (or knows he soon will). This is because Collins knows to get a big contract at ILB you to be considered a full time player. I'm over it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back