PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A.J. BROWN FOR JONNU SMITH ANYONE?

His best season in Tennessee (2020) he ranked 19th among TEs in receiving yards (448). He was never that good, never mind a superstar. The Patriots made a big mistake here and they're certainly not getting out of it by trading him for a legitimate #1 WR.
Don't remind us please.:(

I am not defending Smith , he has been poor so far but he did have 8 TD's in 2020 (448yds receiving)

Someone misjudged his production Smith never had 500yds in a season and is getting $12Mill a year yikes. That kinda explain our pedestrian Approach in FA 2022 we made some gross over pays in FA 2021.
Very fair retort.

Herein lies the question. Would you pay A.J. Brown the same money?
DW Toys

Not even with Harry thrown in ?

That would make the trade worse from Tennessee's standpoint...

I'd give Smith another year to prove his worth.

Smith is in line to be a full participant in the Patriots' voluntary organized team activities in advance of the 2022 season, NESN's Zack Cox reports.

That wasn't the case last year, per Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, as Smith awaited the birth of his daughter, while also factoring in COVID considerations. In his first season with the Patriots after signing a four-year, $50 million deal last March, Smith finished with 28 catches (on 45 targets) for 294 yards and a touchdown to go along with nine carries for 40 yards over 16 games, while operating in a time-share that tilted in Hunter Henry's favor. Cox suggests that with the team seemingly moving away from employing a traditional fullback in 2022, Smith could see added opportunities with a potential uptick in two-tight end sets, as well as the possibility that he could take on a share of fullback/H-back duties, with Jakob Johnson no longer in the mix. In that context, Smith could gain added fantasy relevance, but as long as he and Henry share snaps, consistent volume could remain an issue for the 2017 third-rounder.

No he was not. He was a poor man's Delanie Walker.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
Agree. Wrong choice of status...my bad but let's say a very good player for the Titans. Is Brown available and would you wan him?
Next question: What kind of deal can you offer Vrabel?
DW Toys

Very fair retort.

Herein lies the question. Would you pay A.J. Brown the same money?
DW Toys
A.J. Brown deserves a heck of a lot more dude not even close to his prime and is already Great.

Agree. Wrong choice of status...my bad but let's say a very good player for the Titans. Is Brown available and would you wan him?
Next question: What kind of deal can you offer Vrabel?
DW Toys
No worries, just giving you a hard time. I appreciate the suggestion though on the trade.

If Brown is available, I think the Titans would want a 1st rounder. I still think the Pats should do something no Pats fan wants them to do and try again via the draft.

A.J. Brown should have been a Patriot already...

And it is argumentative that had he been drafted, maybe Brady sticks around....

No worries, just giving you a hard time. I appreciate the suggestion though on the trade.

If Brown is available, I think the Titans would want a 1st rounder. I still think the Pats should do something no Pats fan wants them to do and try again via the draft.
The way the league is trending Teams might have to Draft a WR every two years just to keep the pipe line going. The Kendrick Bourne's are going be very hard to find in this WR trending league. IF you don't want to pay them all that money when that times comes it nice to have decent alternatives so you draft one ever other year just to cover your you know what.

A.J. Brown should have been a Patriot already...

And it is argumentative that had he been drafted, maybe Brady sticks around....
A.J. Brown was the guy I really loved in 2019 if you asked me who is most like him in 2022 I would say George Pickens. Are you listening BB and Patriots WR Scouts??:cool:

I don't care what TN would say, the answer is NO!

Brown, McCauley, and Deebo are on the last year of their rookie deals, and all three are skipping OTAs and threatening to skip more if they don't get their 20/per.

Screw that.

I will say if we go D in the First let's say at 21 I want George Pickens or Skyy Moore at #40 via a Trade up.

A.J. Brown was the guy I really loved in 2019 if you asked me who is most like him in 2022 I would say George Pickens. Are you listening BB and Patriots WR Scouts??:cool:
Dude, I was chanting D.K. Metcalf on draft night.......

I don't care what TN would say, the answer is NO!

Brown, McCauley, and Deebo are on the last year of their rookie deals, and all three are skipping OTAs and threatening to skip more if they don't get their 20/per.

Screw that.
What are you saying they are not worth it?? A lot of Pats fans were clamoring for Deebo in 2019 and we picked Harry and Slowquan?? :rolleyes: Who's fault is that? Both Deebo and A.J. Brown will be resigned by their respective Teams or the good ole Tag. Devante Adams played for the Tag up until this year.

This was my exact post on Patsfans when they signed Smith.

1650394333335.gif

Perhaps that reaction was a bit strong, in retrospect. having said that, I am still trying to remain optimistic that he will be much better in year 2. To make myself feel better for the moment I’m going to chalk up year 1 to adjusting to a new team and to being a father for the first time.

He probably will never justify his salary but his athleticism is still elite and if they use them correctly, he can still be impactful. Kraft, for one, is betting that they will find a way to play to his strengths this year. What bothered me most about his play last year is that he wasn’t just a non-factor, he was a negative factor….missed blocks, poor penalties, critical dropped passes (including one that caused a pick 6). He has to start by cleaning up the mental errors.

Last edited:
What are you saying they are not worth it?? A lot of Pats fans were clamoring for Deebo in 2019 and we picked Harry and Slowquan?? :rolleyes: Who's fault is that? Both Deebo and A.J. Brown will be resigned by their respective Teams or the good ole Tag. Devante Adams played for the Tag up until this year.
I'm saying they aren't worth it with that diva attitude.

How happy would any of them be here getting 8-10 targets a game? And no, BB isn't going to build his offense around a single target. Never has, never will.

I'm not discounting the talent - Brown or Deebo would have been my pick in 2019. But I don't see the Pats doing the 20/per thing with anyone. So what's the point?

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back