PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A couple days before the draft, lots of smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read the less I believe Simmons,Lawrence or Tillery will be available at 32.

If they're all gone, along with the other notable DEs/DTs, there will be some high end talent at some other position just sitting there.

Really I thought Bentley would be a Jag he turned out to be much more than that. Wait until they put on the pads before you pass judgement.
Exactly. Bentley showed up in the preseason and made some plays. Sam and Izzo did less but clearly Bill saw enough to keep them around to fight another day.

Why do people think this every year lol? Maybe one day it'll happen. I think it'll be an OT.

Did you ever think (particularly in recent years) that he'd go running back in round 1?

Did you ever think (particularly in recent years) that he'd go running back in round 1?
Anything is possible, I think they'd do it if somebody really blew them away at receiver. Maybe Bill finally gives the people what they want in his final few seasons. And not trying to be a **** there btw, just 1st round receiver to the Patriots seems to be the popular pick every year.

If not the first pick, I do think an OT is coming in the first two rounds. You can get by without quality receiver depth, but one bad linemen starting, is a season killer for sure. If Waddle had ended up starting, he probably would have cost us the KC game.

Anything is possible, I think they'd do it if somebody really blew them away at receiver. Maybe Bill finally gives the people what they want in his final few seasons. And not trying to be a **** there btw, just 1st round receiver to the Patriots seems to be the popular pick every year.

If not the first pick, I do think an OT is coming in the first two rounds. You can get by without quality receiver depth, but one bad linemen starting, is a season killer for sure. If Waddle had ended up starting, he probably would have cost us the KC game.

It's really never been my popular choice for a few reasons. Few receivers will give you a better first year than Aaron Dobson gave the Pats. WRs are not typically 1st-year studs - that might be changing now as the college game evolves, as with QBs.

The ones you expect to be stars are long gone before the Patriots get on the board - after that, it seems like a crap shoot.

I do want a double dip at WR this year - I think the corps is potentially more than okay with Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, and Thomas + a rookie...but the big IFs of Gordon and Thomas almost demand some insurance.

I'll trust BB on this. I wanted Michel badly last year, as I thought he was a special player. AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel would both be exciting picks this year who might be available, to me, but after that, there are about 10 potential WRs that seems like six-of-one/half-a-dozen of the other.

Still, if 32 rolls around and AJ, Deebo, and Dexter Lawrence are all on the board, I'd probably take Lawrence (or trade back and hope for two).

So, you want an OL or DL and a TE or Wr in the first 3 rounds, out of our first six picks.

I suspect that you will get your wish.

My expectations are reasonable. I just want to see the following in the first 3 rounds:

—trench players on the OL and/or DL

—some type of weapon for Brady at TE and/or WR

Anything else will be gravy, and that includes:

—trading down to acquire an additional 1st for 2020

—drafting a QB to groom during Tom’s final yrs

—adding a weapon to the secondary at CB/S

If some combination hits and most of these boxes are checked, I think the majority of us should be happy!

Time for people to adjust their boards. Seahawks and Chiefs have completed a trade:

Sources: The #Seahawks and #Chiefs are deep in talks on a trade to send star Frank Clark to KC. The compensation would include a 1st rounder, a 2020 2nd rounder and a swap of mid-rounders. To complete it, the franchise tagged player and Chiefs must hammer out a deal.

[/URL]
https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1120741423890956289?p=p

The LAST thing I want the Pats to do, is trade down. They already have TWELVE picks. Make the early selections, and if you don't like anyone else after the 3rd round, trade for picks next year. There is no way they take 12 players, I'd be shocked. But no need to trade down to get extra picks. I keep reading prognosticators saying the Pats may do that, without bringing up the fact they ALREADY have a ****load of picks.

This team needs weapons for Brady (TE & WR) and Dline help. Don't bypass the opportunity to do that.

Remember the Pats we’re going to take Lamar Jackson in the first round last year? :rolleyes:

Why is so hard for people to realize you don’t waste a first rounder on a player who won’t see the field for a few years when that pick could go towards helping your HOF 42 year old QB?

If you think he’ll be your franchise guy for 10-15 years, you absolutely take him. There are other picks to help Brady in the now.

If you think he’ll be your franchise guy for 10-15 years, you absolutely take him. There are other picks to help Brady in the now.

I agree. If the Patriots were strapped for picks, I might (probably wouldn't, but might) come down differently. But Brady's now at the point in his progression towards 45 years of age where a drafted QB would be around long enough to step in at that point.

Last edited:
The LAST thing I want the Pats to do, is trade down. They already have TWELVE picks. Make the early selections, and if you don't like anyone else after the 3rd round, trade for picks next year. There is no way they take 12 players, I'd be shocked. But no need to trade down to get extra picks. I keep reading prognosticators saying the Pats may do that, without bringing up the fact they ALREADY have a ****load of picks.

This team needs weapons for Brady (TE & WR) and Dline help. Don't bypass the opportunity to do that.

They'll probably make ten or eleven picks and trade out at least one, possibly two.

I agree. If the Patriots were strapped for picks, I might (probably wouldn't, but might) come down differently. But Brady's now at the point in his progression towards 45 years of age where a drafted QB would be around long enough to step in at that point.

Also can't count out a Brady injury despite his durability, so I agree. Time to draft a successor QB if they can.

Time for people to adjust their boards. Seahawks and Chiefs have completed a trade:

I guess they think Clark is a significant upgrade to Ford (likely true). Interesting swap.

Just got wind that the Patriots plan to trade up into the #1 slot to draft Murray. Lots of smoke on this one, folks!

Wait thats just my ribeye on the grill, never mind everyone

Yea it wouldn’t make sense to trade back unless it’s into future years where you trade a 3rd rounder this year for a 2nd rounder next year type deal

This is the draft where you have the ammunition to move around the board and get the players you covet the most. If they draft 12 players, at least half of them wouldn’t even make the final roster.

I guess you could argue it gives you more chances to hit on a player, but if they can scout and evaluate worth a damn they should be able to come away with 5-6 players they really like and feel good about

Last edited:

Depending on who's available at 32, if I could package that pick and one or two lower round picks to get a higher 2nd and a mid-third, I'd be very tempted. If you look at the boards between 32 and say, 85, the players listed flip-flop from board to board - there's a ton of talent there.

I guess they think Clark is a significant upgrade to Ford (likely true). Interesting swap.

I agree though Ford and Houston had durability Issues maybe they think Clark answers those concerns.

This is the draft where you have the ammunition to move around the board and get the players you cover the most. If they draft 12 players, at least half of them wouldn’t even make the final roster.

They have 7 picks in the rounds where everyone makes the roster (or reserve lists), plus one sixth-rounder and four late seventh-rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft