PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53 Man Roster Projection After 2 Preseason Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few roster comments:

1) M. Brown is on everybody's roster, but I think he will be traded, perhaps for a WR. They are set without him.

2) I can see them beginning the season with 3 WRs plus Slater. Wouldn't be surprised if Dorsett is not one of the 3.

3) I can see them keeping 7 RB's (including Develin & Bolden).

4) Either K. Davis or Grissom make the team.

5) I think Cyrus Jones has more of a chance than people think.

6) I feel the same about Richards as the next guy, but there has not been a good #4 safety candidate on a team that plays 3 safeties.

I'm literally in denial about Richards. He has had a decent preseason but I am too unforgiving I guess. I don't care that he plays 4 different st groups etc. We have played stellar special teams before he was ever here and we will after he is gone.

A few roster comments:

1) M. Brown is on everybody's roster, but I think he will be traded, perhaps for a WR. They are set without him.

2) I can see them beginning the season with 3 WRs plus Slater. Wouldn't be surprised if Dorsett is not one of the 3.

3) I can see them keeping 7 RB's (including Develin & Bolden).

4) Either K. Davis or Grissom make the team.

5) I think Cyrus Jones has more of a chance than people think.

6) I feel the same about Richards as the next guy, but there has not been a good #4 safety candidate on a team that plays 3 safeties.

I don’t like trading tackles especially if one gets injured so i don’t know how malcom brown gets traded.

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) S.Michel, J.White, R.Burkhead, J.Hill, B.Bolden, J.Develin
WR (6) C.Hogan, P.Dorsett, C.Patterson, K.Britt, R.McCarron, M.Slater
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.Hollister
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, C.Croston
T (3) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle
DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers, K.Davis
DT (4) D.Shelton, L.Guy, M.Brown, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, J.Bentley, C.Sam
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers
CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, J.McCourty, J.Jackson, D.Dawson
SS (3) P.Chung, N.Ebner, E.Pleasant
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2017

Last edited:
Man, I am not happy with my results.

I wanted to keep Davis and Valentine. I also wanted to kick Richards off the roster, but I don't know if I see a suitable backup safety. Certainly not Travis, who's regressed, and not Pleasant, who so far hasn't showed any special teams presence. I'd also like to keep Jackson, but I think Lewis is ahead of him. McCourty is a tough cut, but the youngsters show more upside and are under contract longer. C. Jones makes it by default as the punt returner, but again, I'm not pleased with it. Crossen makes my practice squad, and I'd like to think he could displace one of the corners next year if he improves his technique.

On offense, I think we need another OL, and and I would like to see one of Berrios / McCarron step up for punt returner / slot receiver understudy. QB2 feels like a black hole, although I think Hoyer could keep us limping along for a short stint if the unthinkable happens.

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) R.Burkhead, S.Michel, J.White, J.Hill, B.Bolden, J.Develin
WR (6) C.Hogan, P.Dorsett, C.Patterson, M.Slater, K.Britt, E.Decker
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, J.Hollister, D.Allen
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle, C.Croston
DE (4) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers
DT (4) D.Shelton, A.Butler, L.Guy, M.Brown
ILB(3) J.Bentley, N.Grigsby, D.Hightower
OLB(3) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers, B.King
CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, R.Lewis, D.Dawson, C.Jones
SS (3) P.Chung, N.Ebner, J.Richards

You are unhappy because 8 DL's is not enough. Just put Britt on IR (or make another deletion at WR) and keep Valentine or Davis. I'm OK with Valentine gone if Butler really is the backup for Brown, after bulking up this year.

Man, I am not happy with my results.

I wanted to keep Davis and Valentine. I also wanted to kick Richards off the roster, but I don't know if I see a suitable backup safety. Certainly not Travis, who's regressed, and not Pleasant, who so far hasn't showed any special teams presence. I'd also like to keep Jackson, but I think Lewis is ahead of him. McCourty is a tough cut, but the youngsters show more upside and are under contract longer. C. Jones makes it by default as the punt returner, but again, I'm not pleased with it. Crossen makes my practice squad, and I'd like to think he could displace one of the corners next year if he improves his technique.

On offense, I think we need another OL, and and I would like to see one of Berrios / McCarron step up for punt returner / slot receiver understudy. QB2 feels like a black hole, although I think Hoyer could keep us limping along for a short stint if the unthinkable happens.

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) R.Burkhead, S.Michel, J.White, J.Hill, B.Bolden, J.Develin
WR (6) C.Hogan, P.Dorsett, C.Patterson, M.Slater, K.Britt, E.Decker
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, J.Hollister, D.Allen
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle, C.Croston
DE (4) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers
DT (4) D.Shelton, A.Butler, L.Guy, M.Brown
ILB(3) J.Bentley, N.Grigsby, D.Hightower
OLB(3) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers, B.King
CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, R.Lewis, D.Dawson, C.Jones
SS (3) P.Chung, N.Ebner, J.Richards

I don’t like trading tackles especially if one gets injured so i don’t know how malcom brown gets traded.
Guess that scenario might depend on if there’s enough confidence in Valentine. Shelton, Guy, Butler, Valentine could suffice, but maybe they’d add someone else to the mix.

They’ve also got the benefit of DEs who can work on the interior so that could sort of replace the reps of a 4th DT should there be a week-to-week injury.

Haven’t seen much from Atkins or Herron to suggest they’d be priority practice squads guys that might get called up at various points of the season, but we’ll see.

I feel the same about Richards as the next guy, but there has not been a good #4 safety candidate on a team that plays 3 safeties.
Can't say that I fully agree with you on this one, although it seems that Belichick just might.

I think there have been multiple options for a reasonably priced safety, particularly in a year that saw the safety market completely collapse. The issue may be the replacement of STs responsibilities as opposed to finding a guy that can play better than Richards on defense. After all, Richards has a 1.2m dollar cap hit, and would save the team approx. 1m dollars. Seeing as how there have been guys like Vaccaro who aren’t bringing in much more, an attempt at a defensive upgrade would seem reasonable.

I think Belichick focuses more on the STs aspect, although of course I could be wrong, too.

Can't say that I fully agree with you on this one, although it seems that Belichick just might.

I think there have been multiple options for a reasonably priced safety, particularly in a year that saw the safety market completely collapse. The issue may be the replacement of STs responsibilities as opposed to finding a guy that can play better than Richards on defense. After all, Richards has a 1.2m dollar cap hit, and would save the team approx. 1m dollars. Seeing as how there have been guys like Vaccaro who aren’t bringing in much more, an attempt at a defensive upgrade would seem reasonable.

I think Belichick focuses more on the STs aspect, although of course I could be wrong, too.

As has been said many times before. It requires two to dance.

Why would Vaccaro -- who wants to build up his stock for next offseason -- sign a deal with a team where he would be most probably stuck at S4?

He would be behind DMac, Chung and most probably Harmon playing somewhere between 10-20 defensive snaps on average at best.

You will not get much better players to compete for S4 than Pleasant. Your best bet are drafted players to beat your established weak links.

As has been said many times before. It requires two to dance.

Why would Vaccaro -- who wants to build up his stock for next offseason -- sign a deal with a team where he would be most probably stuck at S4?

He would be behind DMac, Chung and most probably Harmon playing somewhere between 10-20 defensive snaps on average at best.

You will not get much better players to compete for S4 than Pleasant. Your best bet are drafted players to beat your established weak links.
The comment that I responded to suggested that there weren’t any other reasonable options available at the safety position throughout the NFL. I don’t believe that to be true, particularly in a down market where people have just recently been signed or are still on the street. There have been plenty of guys available. Belichick simply chose other options.

There are plenty of reasons to want to be a NEP, especially when the financial offer is comparable. Assuming perfect health for all of McCourty, Chung, and Harmon for a second season in a row is probably unrealistic, as well.

Last edited:
It brings a smile when I read comments about trade proposals about Pats Player X for yet to be named position player, to bring in a WR at this stage of the game is virtually impossible as our O is more complicated than most.. Why would the Pats carry essentially a worthless roster spot for 5-6 games??..

It seems as though the gap will be made up by RB's and TE's who know the system...

And stop with the finger wagging too, please. This is a sh!tty way to start a response to someone, no matter what the subject matter may be.

Then start thinking before posting.

There are plenty of reasons to want to be a NEP, especially when the financial offer is comparable.

See garbage like this is why you are just asking to be corrected.

Why the hell would Vaccaro be interested to play S4 here even if money is similar. His goal is to be in a position to cash in next March and for that he needs a place where he gets to play. Money is irrelevant because he will not get any substantial contract at this point of the season anymore.

He has zero reason to sign here. None of this is complicated.

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) S.Michel, J.White, R.Burkhead, J.Hill, B.Bolden, J.Develin
WR (6) C.Hogan, P.Dorsett, C.Patterson, K.Britt, R.McCarron, M.Slater
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, C.Croston
T (3) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle
DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers, K.Davis
DT (4) D.Shelton, L.Guy, M.Brown, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, J.Bentley, C.Sam
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers
CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, J.McCourty, J.Jackson, D.Dawson
SS (3) P.Chung, N.Ebner, E.Pleasant

I agree with most of these, but you left off some pretty notable guys: Butler, King, Roberts will probably all make the team. I know it's pretty trendy to say Roberts is going to be cut, but I think people are too hard on a guy who played way more snaps than he should have last year.

I do think Roberts is a prime candidate to be traded, however.

I agree with most of these, but you left off some pretty notable guys: Butler, King, Roberts will probably all make the team. I know it's pretty trendy to say Roberts is going to be cut, but I think people are too hard on a guy who played way more snaps than he should have last year.

I do think Roberts is a prime candidate to be traded, however.

King is not pretty or notable...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Valentine over Butler unless Butler has bulked up like MG mentioned. Trade Roberts...I agree.

I'm literally in denial about Richards. He has had a decent preseason but I am too unforgiving I guess. I don't care that he plays 4 different st groups etc. We have played stellar special teams before he was ever here and we will after he is gone.
Has he been on punt protection this pre season? Might seem obvious, but Lombardi mentioned the other day teams don't mess with the punt protection team so the punter doesn't get hurt (think back to Sanchez getting hurt with the Jets 2nd string O line few years back). Anybody on that unit is a lock.

It brings a smile when I read comments about trade proposals about Pats Player X for yet to be named position player, to bring in a WR at this stage of the game is virtually impossible as our O is more complicated than most.. Why would the Pats carry essentially a worthless roster spot for 5-6 games??..

It seems as though the gap will be made up by RB's and TE's who know the system...

I can think of some talented wrs that can come in here and pick things up quickly.

37M next year (without Slater)

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
Brady is playing 3 more years IMO so there is no point to draft a QB this early. Wait untill 2020, develop him for 2 years. Extend Brady, his last contract for 3 years.

RB (5) J.White, R.Burkhead, S.Michel, J.Develin, J.Hill*
Webb take over Hill's spot for less money.

WR (5) C.Hogan*, P.Dorsett*, C.Patterson*, M.Slater, K.Britt* They need to spend at least a couple of picks here. Hogan (5M) will be extended (hopefully) and we have Edelman.
So use a 3rd and a 4th here.

Re-do Allen's contract. Extend Gronk for 3 years and lower his cap number.

C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason*, J.Thuney, T.Karras
Extend Mason for 10M. They are set.
T (4) T.Brown*, M.Cannon, L.Waddle*, C.Croston
Extend T. Brown for 7M. Let Waddle Walk.

DE (5) T.Flowers*, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers, K.Davis
Extend Flower for 9M

DT (5) M.Brown*, D.Shelton*, L.Guy, V.Valentine, A.Butler
Extend Shelton 8M and let M. Brown go. Use ou 1st here.

ILB(4) D.Hightower, E.Roberts, J.Bentley, N.Grigsby*
OLB(3) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers*, B.King
Let Flowers go and use one of our top picks here.

CB (5) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe*, J.Jones, C.Jones, D.Dawson
Use a 2nd here and Let Rowe go.

SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards*, N.Ebner
Let Richards go. Use a 3rd here and find a good backup for Chung.

Re-do McCourty contract.

ST (3) S.Gostkowski*, R.Allen*, J.Cardona
Extend Gostkowski for 4M. Use a pick on a punter.
------------------------------------------------------------
*= FA

O: Brown - Thuney - Andrews - Mason - Cannon
Edelman - Hogan - Gronk - Brady - (Michel/White) - Allen

D: Flowers - 1st round pick - Shelton - Clayborn
Hightower - (Bentley/Harmon) - KVN
Gilmore - 2nd round pick - McCourty - Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back