PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53 Man Roster Projection After 2 Preseason Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
QB (2): 12 Brady, 2 Hoyer
RB (5): 28 White, 34 Burkhead, 33 Hill, 29 Michel, 38 Bolden
WR (5): 15 Hogan, 13 Dorsett, 88 Britt, 84 Patterson, 17 McCarron
TE/FB (4): 87 Gronkowski, 83 Allen, 47 Hollister, 46 Develin
OL (8): 77 Brown, 62 Thuney, 60 Andrews, 69 Mason, 61 Cannon, 68 Waddle, 75 Karras, 74 Croston
DL (4): 71 Shelton, 93 Guy, 90 Brown, 70 Butler
EDGE (5): 98 Flowers, 94 Clayborn, 91 Wise, 95 Rivers, 58 Davis
LB (5): 54 Hightower, 53 Van Noy, 51 Bentley, 52 Roberts, 59 Flowers
CB (5): 24 Gilmore, 25 Rowe, 30 McCourty, 31 Jones, 42 Dawson
S (4): 32 McCourty, 23 Chung, 21 Harmon, 37 Richards
ST (6): 3 Gostkowski, 6 Allen, 49 Cardona, 18 Slater, 43 Ebner, 36 King
RIP (1): 76 Wynn

• The WR situation gets worse every week...starting to really worry about this group. Still carrying McCarron despite him showing nothing because at least he can hold onto punts unlike Cyrus.
  • Not sure what happens to the OL without Wynn. Do they keep 8 or 9? They pretty much have to carry 4 tackles because of Cannon and Waddle's propensity for getting hurt. Is it Tobin, John, or someone not on this team currently? Could Croston serve in that capacity despite ostensibly having been moved to guard?
  • Grissom is starting to look like a real possibility for the 53. I'm sure he'll be on the shadow roster either way.
  • Is M. Flowers in danger? Grigsby's stock seems to be pointing (slightly) up. They're both 26 years old so not super super young, but the tiebreaker could be that Flowers wanted out of Cincy because he wasn't getting snaps on D. With Bentley and a potentially improved Roberts, he looks to be an afterthought on defense again. There's also #44 Sam. Looks more like a PS player to me.
  • Cornerback just looks worse every week too, although not nearly to the same extent as the WRs. None of the rookies have shown enough to put JMac on the hot seat, underwhelming as he's been. I've never been as high on Jackson as most here. Crossen is very raw but has potential. Lewis is hurt but could be the best bet of the young guys. Honestly, Dawson only makes this team because of his draft status. 2nd round picks do not get cut as rookies.
  • Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. #37 is still there. Pleasant doesn't really look any better, so tie goes to the younger player with more experience in the system. Plus, Richards is an okay ST player at the very least. Eric Reid is still out there.........
Starting to think we might see a team closer to the 2013 Patriots than the 2016 Patriots.

Using Pats Picker for speed

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
RB (6) J.Hill, S.Michel, J.White, R.Burkhead, J.Develin, B.Bolden
WR (4) C.Hogan, K.Britt, C.Patterson, P.Dorsett
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.Hollister
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle, C.Croston
DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Wise, D.Rivers, K.Davis
DT (4) D.Shelton, L.Guy, M.Brown, A.Butler
ILB(3) D.Hightower, J.Bentley, E.Roberts
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers
CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.McCourty, D.Dawson, J.Jones, R.Lewis
SS (2) P.Chung, J.Richards
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (6) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater, Ebner, B. King

Pats start the year with only 4 WRs. No big deal honestly. I think Britt will be fine by week 1. Decker just isn't going to work out it seems. I know it is early but most WRs who succeed here show at least something early. Expect lots of White and TEs to compensate. Patterson may be a bigger part of the offense than i thought. His lack of return work seems to suggest the have a larger role for him than i originally thought in mind. It suck to only carry 8 OL men. Probably will keep a few on the PS. Also a little note. I think the Patriots intentionally didn't use Webb much last game. I think they plan to sneak him on the PS by making everyone forget about him.

I don't see how they let Davis walk at this point. BB loves him and he has done will both in camp and in the preseason. He will likely not see many snaps but you don't let a promising pass rusher walk. Valentine got a sack but it was one of the least impressive sacks you will see from a DT. Entirely caused by the DE. He just hasn't done anything impressive. His pass rush and run D are both JAG level to me. It be nice to keep him but i don't think they will have trouble finding a guy like him on the scrap heap in FA if need be or putting him or a guy of similar level on the PS. Bentley is now everyone's binky. Everyone remembers McCourty's TD screw up, as they should. But he had a very solid game besides that. He is as advertised and will stick. Lewis and Jackson fight for the last CB spot. I go with Lewis but it is close as hell. That battle will come down to the wire. On Safety i have Richards back on (barely).
Generally agree, with these differences:

QB - none
RB - IF Burkhead and Michelle will be ready soon, then none
TE - none
WR - I'm warming to the idea of carrying just 4 of them for the first 4 weeks, because only 2 of them deserve to wear the uniform anyway; I have a feeling that Barrio makes it, unfortunately.
OL - I don't think he'll make it, but I would keep Schwenke too; and we still need a backup LT better than Croston. Bill & Nick need to thoroughly scan the waiver wire during Cut-Down Day for an Upgrayedd.
DT - none
DE - none
ILB - Just say No to another season of Roberts.
OLB - add Christian Sam
CB - It will be a very, very interesting battle for the #6 CB. I also like Lewis slightly ahead of Virus, JCJack & Crossed-up; this could be the position from which Bill makes a trade for a WR or backup LT.
FS - same
SS - Just say No to another season of Glitch. Eddie Pleasant sucks on defense, but that still makes him better than somebody who completely sucks beyond belief.
ST - drop Brandon the Penalty King.

QB (2) T.Brady, B.Hoyer
Etling to PS when he clears waivers.

RB (6) J.White, J.Hill, J.Develin, R.Burkhead, S.Michel, B.Bolden
If either Burkhead or Michelle need to be IR/DFRed, then Gilly sticks; Webb to PS when he clears waivers.

WR (5) C.Hogan, P.Dorsett, C.Patterson, K.Britt, B.Berrios
One of Britt/Decker sticks, as does one of Barrio/McCarron; all 4 of them (plus Dorsett) really suck, sorry not sorry.

Tye's too inconsistent; Izzo to PS when he clears waivers.

C (2) D.Andrews, B.Schwenke
T (3) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle
I prefer Schwenke to Croston at backup Guard, because Croston would be an unmitigated Disaster at Tackle. Bill & Nick need to find a backup LT during Cutdown Day.

DE (5) T.Flowers, A.Clayborn, D.Rivers, D.Wise, K.Davis
Buh-bye GeeNo Gruesome!

DT (4) M.Brown, L.Guy, D.Shelton, A.Butler
Buh-bye Vinnie V!

ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Bentley
OLB(3) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers, C.Sam
Buh-bye Elandon Waivers!

CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.McCourty, J.Jones, D.Dawson, R.Lewis
JCJack, Cyrus the Virus & Keion Crossed-up are all still in the running for the #6 CB spot, however. Trade one of them for WR or backup LT help?

SS (3) P.Chung, E.Pleasant, N.Ebner
Buh-bye Glitch!

ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2017

Last edited:
Grigsby's stock seems to be pointing (slightly) up.

I think Grigsby is closer to the 53 than many assume. He is a core ST player (all 4 units).

Starting to think we might see a team closer to the 2013 Patriots than the 2016 Patriots.

???

We are better at any spot than we were in 2013. Even at QB. Really dont understand this.

Pretty good list if I'm selecting from current roster. Might quibble with C Jones and Sam. Even at the same positions, I might keep Lewis and Flowers/Grigsby. I expect at least one of Pleasant/ (gulp)Richards to stick (especially with no coverage LB). What about Langi? Some guys are there not because they've shown anything, but because we have nobody else at the moment (Dorsett, Hoyer). That, of course, can (and will) change. I have WR and QB2 at the top of my needs.

Agree with the last sentence. How did we end up in a position where Hoyer is our backup?

EBNER is not "mainly ST's. He is ONLY special teams. When was his last regular season rep as a safety?

He didn't play any last year, but had 18 snaps in 2016 (2%) , 45 in 2015 (4%), and 34 in 2014 (3%). I'm not saying that he will be a meaningful contributor on defense, just that he probably could play some safety if a couple of starters go down (which just hasn't happened). Call him "almost exclusively" ST instead of "mainly" if you prefer. My point that there needs to be a 4th safety aside from him still holds.

Is Cyrus eligible for the practice squad? Not that I truly care either way. Might be time for a fresh start on both sides.

Lucien's been catching footballs. Britt has been melting ice in the tub.

Means zilch. The team clearly has a plan for Britt otherwise they would not shown that much patience with him but send him away the same way they did with Matthews. Lucien is a camp body.

Last edited:
Is Cyrus eligible for the practice squad? Not that I truly care either way. Might be time for a fresh start on both sides.
He is, but could get picked up on waivers. I think he'll get another chance to prove himself - he was looking decent in preseason last year before tearing his ACL

QB (3) T.Brady, B.Hoyer, D.Etling
RB (6) J.White, S.Michel, R.Burkhead, J.Hill, J.Develin, B.Bolden
WR (5) C.Hogan, P.Dorsett, C.Patterson, K.Britt, M.Slater
C (2) D.Andrews, J.Ferentz
T (4) T.Brown, M.Cannon, L.Waddle, M.Tobin
DE (4) T.Flowers, D.Rivers, D.Wise, A.Clayborn
DT (5) D.Shelton, L.Guy, M.Brown, A.Butler, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, E.Roberts, J.Bentley
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, M.Flowers
CB (6) S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, J.McCourty, D.Dawson, K.Crossen
SS (3) P.Chung, E.Pleasant, N.Ebner
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Total players: 54
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2017

I'm at 54 and can't decide where to cut from

A CB maybe if J McCourty doesnt work out, but i like some of the younger guys

We're basically always going to have to use 3 roster spots on a QB now with Brady in his 40's, so Etling stays IMO or they trade for someone and Etling goes to practice squad

Can't really take a SS or you go real thin there

With our Oline injury history you need to take 4 Tackles

One of Etling, Crossen, or Ferentz would be the last cut. Any one of them would clear waivers though and could stick around.

he was looking decent in preseason last year before tearing his ACL

That was last year. He has to show something this year and has essentially only about 8-10 days to do that. Flashing as punt returner really is his only realistic ticket to be on the 53. I am not sure that the time left is enough to play a fellow CB off the roster on defensive play alone.

His main issue will be that coming back from an ACL is generally a process and not a binary state (injured/healthy).

All of them will clear waivers.

Kenny Brittle haven't had one Good practice with the Team. Don't see how he makes it... P.s. I'm warming up to Coraderralle Patterson he moves so much better than our other Wide Receivers that you can plainly see. Stranger things have happened I guess. :eek:

I think Grigsby is closer to the 53 than many assume. He is a core ST player (all 4 units).

???

We are better at any spot than we were in 2013. Even at QB. Really dont understand this.

Definitely better than 2013. Just not as good as the 2 recent championship teams.

That was last year. He has to show something this year and has essentially only about 8-10 days to do that. Flashing as punt returner really is his only realistic ticket to be on the 53. I am not sure that the time left is enough to play a fellow CB off the roster on defensive play alone.

His main issue will be that coming back from an ACL is generally a process and not a binary state (injured/healthy).

Oh, I agree that he won't be able to knock a CB off the roster. I think he's competing with McCarron and Berrios for the PR spot (at least while JE is out). I do think if none of them distinguish themselves, Jones will get the nod because his upside is higher. I also think there's a chance he could get picked up on waivers, while McCarron and Berrios will clear.

Definitely better than 2013. Just not as good as the 2 recent championship teams.

I think we will have a better overall team than last year.

In terms of the championship teams it will all depend on injury luck throughout the season. I can see this team being the best of all of them if we get lucky on that front.

QB (2): 12 Brady, 2 Hoyer
RB (5): 28 White, 34 Burkhead, 33 Hill, 29 Michel, 38 Bolden
WR (5): 15 Hogan, 13 Dorsett, 88 Britt, 84 Patterson, 17 McCarron

• The WR situation gets worse every week...starting to really worry about this group. Still carrying McCarron despite him showing nothing because at least he can hold onto punts unlike Cyrus.
I hope that's not the only reason why we are keeping Riley McCarron. I am sure after cut downs we can find a guy who can catch and return punts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back