PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53 Man Roster Projection After 2 Preseason Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not want to denigrate anyone's efforts, but there will probably be at least 2 players who are on the opening day roster who the Patriots have not even signed yet...

Do not want to denigrate anyone's efforts, but there will probably be at least 2 players who are on the opening day roster who the Patriots have not even signed yet...
At least.

I think it was last year or two years ago I compared the opening day roster with the playoff roster and on average there were 4 new players added during the season.

So add that to your estimate and between now and January 7 more players will be added to the team

1) I'm fine with all your cuts except Valentine. We need a back big body.

2) We often play 3 safeties. You have ZERO backups. Alternatively, you have 6 corners.

BOTTOM LINE
A) I would keep Valentine instead of McCarron.
B) I would carry a backup safety instead of the odd man out at corner.
Jason McCourty has experience at safety and Dawson played some in college.

I understand that Keion Crossen was the worst player in coverage against the Eagles. However, his closing burst and open field tackling appears to be at a elite level. I think he has value on special teams ?

His coverage was actually pretty good, too good actually, as he got two DPI's, IIRC. His coverage techique is just outright terrible. What he did to his man in coverage would be considered assault and battery in the real world.

This is simply not enough.

We are discussing a primary backup, who is needed if there is ONE injury. This is similar to not wanted to carry a 4th corner, never mind a 5th, 6th and/or 7th.

Jason McCourty has experience at safety and Dawson played some in college.

One of the (multiple) reasons why I would replace Roberts with Christian Sam, who has greater potential to operate better in space than Roberts ever, ever will.

For me, Sam and Roberts are NOT competing for the same position, And yes, roles do make a difference. We need starters and backups inside at LB. Wed starters and backups outside. Having quality DE who are EDGE rushers helps us need fewer OLB's.
============================
You allow your dislike of particular players (Roberts and Richards) to support the argument that the position isn't needed or that anyone who has ever player the positions in college must be an improvement. This simply isn't true, at least for Belichick.

I strongly agree that Roberts is a run defender only (we used to call it a base 1st down LB). There is room for such a player on the team. Having Sam on the team instead just leaves the position, much as listing Ebner or Dawson as a safety leaves the backup safety spot open.
============
I believe that Sam is competing for an EDGE/OLB roster spot with the DE's, with Flowers. Some have also mentioned Grisby. However, there is little question that Belichick is OK with Roberts in his current, limited role.

I understand that Keion Crossen was the worst player in coverage against the Eagles. However, his closing burst and open field tackling appears to be at a elite level. I think he has value on special teams ?

He gave up some big plays, but i thought his overall competitiveness and athletic ability were right up there.. Thats one great thing about the new cut down rules, they don't have ot start cutting guys now they can evaluate all 90 players thru 4 full preseason games

He gave up some big plays, but i thought his overall competitiveness and athletic ability were right up there.. Thats one great thing about the new cut down rules, they don't have ot start cutting guys now they can evaluate all 90 players thru 4 full preseason games
Agree. Crossen was brutal on Thurs. I'm sure the coaches will spend time with him this week and coach him on his faults.

If he plays two clean games in a row, shows improvement and makes plays he just might stick.

I guess the question is which of the corners will be the backup safety, the first off the bench in case of injury, especially to Chung.

If we sign a safety from another team before Game 2, I guess one of the corners will go.

Here's mine:

QB (2): Brady & Hoyer
RB (5): White, Michel, Burkhead, Hill, & Bolden
FB (1): Develin
OL (8): Brown, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon, Waddle, Karras, & Croston
TE (3): Gronkowski, Hollister, & Allen
WR (6): Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson (KOR), Decker, McCarron (PR), & Slater
Total offense: 25
DL (4): Shelton, Guy, Brown, & Butler
DE (5): T.Flowers, Clayborn, Wise, Rivers, & Davis
LB (6): Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts, Bentley, M. Flowers, & King
CB (6): Gilmore, Rowe, J.Jones, J.McCourty, Dawson, & Jackson
S (4): D. McCourty, Chung, Harmon, & Ebner
Total defense: 25
ST (3): Gostkowski, Allen, & Cardona
Total ST: 3
Suspended: Edelman
Missing the cut: Britt, Tobin, Tye, Berrios, Etling, Gillislee, Webb, Grissom, Lee, Valentine, Grisgby, Sam, Langi, Lewis, Richards, & Pleasant

I guess the question is which of the corners will be the backup safety, the first off the bench in case of injury, especially to Chung.

If we sign a safety from another team before Game 2, I guess one of the corners will go.

Dawson could probably play Chung's role, but I don't think he should be the primary backup at safety.

His coverage was actually pretty good, too good actually, as he got two DPI's, IIRC. His coverage techique is just outright terrible. What he did to his man in coverage would be considered assault and battery in the real world.
Sounds like a perfect Practice Squad candidate to me.

For me, Sam and Roberts are NOT competing for the same position, And yes, roles do make a difference. We need starters and backups inside at LB. Wed starters and backups outside. Having quality DE who are EDGE rushers helps us need fewer OLB's.
============================
Our backup at ILB is Bentley, and our backups at OLB are MFlowers & Sam.
You allow your dislike of particular players (Roberts and Richards) to support the argument that the position isn't needed or that anyone who has ever player the positions in college must be an improvement. This simply isn't true, at least for Belichick.

I strongly agree that Roberts is a run defender only (we used to call it a base 1st down LB). There is room for such a player on the team. Having Sam on the team instead just leaves the position, much as listing Ebner or Dawson as a safety leaves the backup safety spot open.
============
I dislike Roberts & Richards because they are terrible football players.
I believe that Sam is competing for an EDGE/OLB roster spot with the DE's, with Flowers. Some have also mentioned Grisby. However, there is little question that Belichick is OK with Roberts in his current, limited role.
Bill being OK with Roberts is one of the reasons that we wont see #6 being unfurled in September.

I thought he competed great. His was tight on his man all night and closed at an elite level. If he could fix his technique once he’s upon his man then he’s a keeper. He could have had possible ints if he turned around.

Patriots.com's unofficial depth chart has Duke Dawson listed as a safety, BTW. But, yeah...we drafted him to play CB.

My thinking of carrying only 4 safeties was that we would be able to sneak guys on the practice squad and that there are a lot of veteran safeties still out there (e.g. Eric Reid, George Itolka, and etc...). Also, on the game day 45....we are likely to carry 4 safeties anyway.

Sounds like a perfect Practice Squad candidate to me.

If we could sneak him there. Elite speed is a very desired trait in the NFL, as you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back