PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3rd down defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that he was hurt but the Steelers hid it.

Yeah, it's not like Roethlisberger to let people know he's injured, at all.

It's just a lie you're perpetuating to try to denigrate the Patriots.

Time to pump the brakes.

2019 offensive rankings to date

Miami 32
Buffalo 28
New York 30
Washington 29

Pittsburgh Ben was hurt before the game even started. The Pats have played a bunch of Patsies and backup QBs.

How much do their numbers against the Pats bring them down? Of course they're stats are going to suck overall after playing the best D in the world.

Pats have certainly played weak offensive teams so far (with exception of Pitt) but their defense has still been unworldly. I don't think anyone expects them to remain at the current pace but they certainly seem capable of holding just about anyone under 20 points if they play a decent game. and should surpass the numbers of the early 2000 teams. They are extremely cohesive and have athleticism and experience. Been a blast watching the defense this year.

Pats have certainly played weak offensive teams so far (with exception of Pitt) but their defense has still been unworldly. I don't think anyone expects them to remain at the current pace but they certainly seem capable of holding just about anyone under 20 points if they play a decent game. and should surpass the numbers of the early 2000 teams. They are extremely cohesive and have athleticism and experience. Been a blast watching the defense this year.
Pats have allowed 34 points (20 defensively) thru 5 games w/ 11 remaining.

To better the 2000 Ravens' record of 10.8 ppg allowed, for the remainder of the season they will need to stay under 11.91 ppg.

That is a tall order

Playing amazing so far even if the competition has been crap. In previous years, we made plenty of crappy QBs look like pro bowlers so this D is definitely crazy good!

Playing amazing so far even if the competition has been crap. In previous years, we made plenty of crappy QBs look like pro bowlers so this D is definitely crazy good!
All you can do is play who is on your schedule

Here are the QBs the 2000 Ravens faced.

Kent Graham
Mark Brunell (2)- sucks
Jay Fiedler
Scott Mitchell- burnt out
Tim Couch
Brad Johnson- slightly above average
Steve McNair (2)- above average
Kordell Stewart
Akili Smith
Troy Aikman -cooked
Doug Peterson
Ryan Leaf
Jake Plummer
Vinny T (36-69 481 2td/3int)

Only real QB test was 2000 AFCCG vs 30ppg OAK Rich Gannon and they knocked him out (Bobby Hoying).

So 2000 BAL was a great D but their QB competition was weak.

Expanding upon thus through week 5.

On 3rd down opponents have attempted 50 passes and the following has happened.
12 sacks
4 ints
6 1st downs
0 points allowed

6 points score by defense

On 13 3rd down runs, 2 have been converted and 13 runs totaled 23 yards.

Regardless of the level of competition we have faced, what this defense has done these past 5 weeks is incredibly amazing!

Injuries are the only thing that can stop this defense from dominating the rest of the season.

with a 1/11 3rd down conversion performance today our d Is now 8/63 for the season.
That is a ridiculous almost impossible stat.
We don’t have today stats yet but they will only improve the numbers.
Before today on 3rd down our d was

12 rushes for 15 yards 2/15 success
14/31 passing for 188 4 ints and 9 Sacks
5 conversions out of 40 attempts.
5 conversions 4 ints.
14 completions, 9 of which were short of the yards ended and 9 sacks

I have never in my lifetime seem a defense at any level own 3rd down like that.

Updated Andy's stats with games 5 + 6.

WA
1 rush 8 yards 0/1 success
3/11 passing for 12 yds 0 int 3 sacks, 1 conversion

NY
0 rushes
3/9 passing for 25yds 0 ints 0 sacks, 2 conversions

TOTAL THRU GAME 6:
13 rushes for 23 yards 2/16 success
20/51 passing for 255 4 ints and 12 Sacks
8 conversions out of 61 attempts.
8 conversions 4 ints.
20 completions, 12 of which were short of the yards needed and 12 sacks

To better the 2000 Ravens' record of 10.8 ppg allowed, for the remainder of the season they will need to stay under 11.91 ppg.

That is a tall order
It is, but to state the obvious, it’s also an average. So if they, say, shut out the Dolphins they can give up 23 points to another team and still be under that.

with a 1/11 3rd down conversion performance today our d Is now 8/63 for the season.
That is a ridiculous almost impossible stat.
We don’t have today stats yet but they will only improve the numbers.
Before today on 3rd down our d was

12 rushes for 15 yards 2/15 success
14/31 passing for 188 4 ints and 9 Sacks
5 conversions out of 40 attempts.
5 conversions 4 ints.
14 completions, 9 of which were short of the yards ended and 9 sacks

I have never in my lifetime seem a defense at any level own 3rd down like that.
I don't care who the competition is...it is ridiculous... Won't be shocked to see this the entire season.. they're that stacked

And just think there was a time not too long ago we dreaded being in a 3rd down and Pats couldn't get out of their own way. From SB 53 Playoff Run into this season, Just Amazing!
Chargers, Chiefs and Rams were all picked decisively last season and mediots* narrative was Pats can't beat'm and that's what made it that much sweeter.

The amount of goal post moving in this thread is annoying. After the incredible playoff run last season there are still fans questioning if the defense is for real or if it’s all a mirage. Good offenses or defenses will always overwhelm a bad oppositional unit. I saw this defense in person and it’s totally legit. I don’t care if they give up 40 points to the Jets, it’s still a legit defense.

Agreed. Though Ben wasn't hurt in the opener.

Defense will need to do well against explosive offenses like KC & Philly to get recognition from the football world ( Not that their opinion matters).

If you want to be taken seriously, change your avatar. It’s ridiculous.

That is a tall order

34 pionts in 5 games (and as you point out that's opponent ST and DEF points as well) comes to 6.8 pts/game...you expect them to get twice as worse? (11.91)

something close to Ravens is likely

Construction of Patriots dominant defense all began with the head-scratching Stephon Gilmore signing, for those (including myself) who questioned it. This is like the peak Revis Jets defense but with a great coach, depth, and much better supporting players. But Gilmore is the glue that makes this possible. Being able to lock down any player is almost impossible in today’s NFL. He is playing CB as well as anyone in this era. You can get really creative with your schemes when you have a guy like this.

And this is why the league is stupid to pay Frank Clark, Dee Ford, Chandler Jones, and a dozen other one trick ponies much more money than elite corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back