PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

31 Overall Pick Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like - protect our QB position first - start of the draft.

1. Protect TB QB play
2. Protect TB age
3. Protect QB position after/wo TB
____

Now lets get Carter, Bellamy and Wims and let the dogs rollin'

sony-wynn.jpg

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the obvious here but two UG players that literally play together & work in tandem at times. This was a very planned out 1st round.

Absolutely.

I think it's even worth considering that the Pats may have gone in a different direction with an RB selection had they not been able to snag Wynn first.

Be that as it may (or may not), it's fairly clear that the Pats feel that both Wynn and Michel fit their blocking schemes well.

Dont like the pick at all. RB dont hold up that long and could be had around 3-4 round. No reason spending a first. First rounders are your staples for the future, not a RB who is good for a couple of years and especially not this one who is banged up already.

Guess BB is trying to stay ahead of curve. Star running backs are reasonable cheap, like TE:s I guess.

I think you're placing too much significance on what round Michel was drafted in.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Pats still took either Samuels or Kerryon Johnson sometime later in this draft.

I would be. I don't think they'll touch another RB until the UFA period starts. There seems to be a logjam there now and too many needs on defense.

Look, I like the pick, but the patriots defense was terrible Lastt year. They feasted on bad offenses and got mauled by good ones.

Yeah, the patriots have more picks, what is your point? You think the players taken on day 2 will be better than those taken on day 1?

Do you think that a player is automatically "better" for the Pats if he's taken on Day-1 than on Day-2?

If the Pats had taken a defensive guy at #31 who would've lasted until pick #43, that would've made him "better" somehow?

Sure, the Eagles' O-line was elite, but so was the Pats' O-line. They almost completely stoned the Eagles' "vastly superior" pass rushers.

However, the biggest weakness in the Pats' defense - all season - was against the run. The same guys who rush the passer are also responsible for trying to contain the opponent's running game, along with the off-the-ball LBs. As a unit, the front 6/7 sucked against the run. And that made Philly's very well-executed RPO that much more effective at helping to thwart whatever pass rush the Pats could muster by causing those pass-rushers/run-defenders to hesitate for a beat - which is exactly what the RPO is designed to do.

When the run-D sucks, the RPO (or any play-action method, really) also often causes problems all across the secondary. It keeps them looking in the backfield for an extra split-second to diagnose run-or-pass, leaving them a half-step late in getting to their coverage responsibilities.

If the Pats fix the run-D, a lot of the other problems from the 2017 defense disappear. The Shelton acquisition and the return of VV and HT should help a lot with that.
The Super Bowl is likely an anomaly. I don’t think there was a holding call against either O-line. I think both O lines got away with a lot.

I think they may try out Wynn at guard as well.

I was thinking about that. The "staffing" of the left side of the 2018 OL could go a number of different ways. Could be Wynn at LT, but it could also be Wynn at LG allowing Thuney to move to LT.

Thuney is the same size as Light and very athletic. His testing numbers weren't far off from those posted by Miller and Solder.

For 2018, it possible that we'll see ...

Thuney -- Wynn -- Andrews -- Mason -- Cannon

... and then, as backups/future starters ...

Croston, OT and OG
Karras, OC and OG
Garcia, OT

Do you think that a player is automatically "better" for the Pats if he's taken on Day-1 than on Day-2?

If the Pats had taken a defensive guy at #31 who would've lasted until pick #43, that would've made him "better" somehow?

What about all the defensive players that don't last until 43? Why not trade up to grab Evans?

I was thinking about that. The "staffing" of the left side of the 2018 OL could go a number of different ways. Could be Wynn at LT, but it could also be Wynn at LG allowing Thuney to move to LT.

Thuney is the same size as Light and very athletic. His testing numbers weren't far off from those posted by Miller and Solder.

For 2018, it possible that we'll see ...

Thuney -- Wynn -- Andrews -- Mason -- Cannon

... and then, as backups/future starters ...

Croston, OT and OG
Karras, OC and OG
Garcia, OT

If Garcia is healthy, I would expect him to be the starter at LT, Thuney at LG, Andrews at C, Mason at RG, and Cannon at RT.

why only 9 catches last year for a guy with great hands?

Because Georgia doesn't throw to their RBs. Todd Gurley his last year at Georgia had 12 receptions and 65 his 3 years there. Gurley in the pros, he just had 65 rec alone last season and 130 in 3 years.

Georgia just doesn't really utilize their RBs that way

Last edited:
I would be. I don't think they'll touch another RB until the UFA period starts. There seems to be a logjam there now and too many needs on defense.

I'm thinking in terms of the 6th round.

That's not how this works. We just need the best players for us. We were a play or 2 away from another SB. Get me the most talent possible and assemble it later.

They gave up 40+ points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back