PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 reasons why I accept a week 1, 1 point loss to the Dolphins

Think about how illogical this is.

Taking a loss so that, later in the season when you play again, you may have a small advantage which might help you avoid taking a loss.

I don't think Belichick intentionally loses games, but it does seem that for whatever reason, they keep a lot of powder dry on their more advanced schematics until week 3-4+. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case most seasons. I agree it doesn't entirely make sense, but maybe there is a legitimate reason that the team (particularly the defense) ramps up in that manner.

Defensively they looked pretty basic today from what I could glean. Looked like an early season Pats' game. I don't think anyone is happy losing, but the folks blindly chanting "no moral victories" aren't right, either. The details/nuance matter, and there was a lot of positives tonight (primarily Mac, but there were multiple bright spots).

Turnovers and penalties were hands-down the biggest issue tonight, IMO.

Just keep all of this to yourself.

If you went to a Gillette full of fans and said this, I would be fearful for your safety.

Why are you giving this guy such a hard time?

I agree that the team isn't intentionally sandbagging games right now, but there is legitimate truth to the idea that the team should build over the course of the season and peak at the right time.

No shame in the notion that we'd rather have a week 15-17 victory than a week 1 victory. Losses suck - folks are trying to make themselves feel better and find positives from the game. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's a good look to beat up on a fellow fan going through that process. Take it easy. Just my two cents.

I don't think Belichick intentionally loses games, but it does seem that for whatever reason, they keep a lot of powder dry on their more advanced schematics until week 3-4+. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case most seasons. I agree it doesn't entirely make sense, but maybe there is a legitimate reason that the team (particularly the defense) ramps up in that manner.

Defensively they looked pretty basic today from what I could glean. Looked like an early season Pats' game. I don't think anyone is happy losing, but the folks blindly chanting "no moral victories" aren't right, either. The details/nuance matter, and there was a lot of positives tonight (primarily Mac, but there were multiple bright spots).

I don't think one can say this is the case anymore. Ernie Adams is gone and in 2019 and 2020 they faded as the season went on, did not get better or solidify for a strong run.
I think this is a different team now without Ernie. The Pats of the last 2 seasons have not done the "figure it out over time and go on a run". Ernie isn't here and Brady isn't here. Instead we have an OC who passes almost 80% of the time there are 3 WRs on the field.

If you went to a Gillette full of fans and said this, I would be fearful for your safety.
Don't be a moron. It should be obvious to just about everyone that the #1 goal of this season is to develop Mac10. I'd say, even higher than winning this year. Sure, we'll try to do it while also winning if we can, because this is the Patriots. But we fall short and Mac10 looks like the future, then even a season where they miss the playoffs is successful in my mind.

If we don't make it this year but QB is set going forward I'll happily accept that because that WILL set up future championship runs.

But with that said, I actually do think we can slip into the playoffs this year. And I do think that unless something horrendous happens to Mac10 I'll weigh our chances alongside just about anyone else in the league other than possibly KC.

I'm just saying that my expectations are more about setting up future contending years than about right now.

Jesus…look at what Team Bill is reduced to now.

You guys think winning is the measure of a team…Bill doesn’t.

Don't be a moron. It should be obvious to just about everyone that the #1 goal of this season is to develop Mac10. I'd say, even higher than winning this year. Sure, we'll try to do it while also winning if we can, because this is the Patriots. But we fall short and Mac10 looks like the future, then even a season where they miss the playoffs is successful in my mind.

If we don't make it this year but QB is set going forward I'll happily accept that because that WILL set up future championship runs.

But with that said, I actually do think we can slip into the playoffs this year. And I do think that unless something horrendous happens to Mac10 I'll weigh our chances alongside just about anyone else in the league other than possibly KC.

I'm just saying that my expectations are more about setting up future contending years than about right now.
That's better. Thanks.

That is true. Especially this year with all the FAs I was thinking growing pains.

I was more attacking idea that anyone would not try their damndest to win, and that they they “coulda” if they’d chosen to really use all their stuff. That would be nuts - and even more nuts since winning game 2 @ Miami has always been so difficult.

My guess is they don’t use their complex schemes immediately because they disadvantage themselves if their players don’t communicate well.

Chill, I don't think he was even disagreeing with you. Just a gentle warning that some others might consider it blasphemy to say that we're basically in a developmental year. Some of the more forward looking members might even postulate whether it makes sense to get some value back (or not) for old guys like McCourty, Hightower, Gilmore if the Pats aren't contending anyways.

The only reason I disagree with getting rid of those guys is that all of them, especially DMac and Hightower, have vast experience to teach our younger guys. Just because you're in a rebuild doesn't mean you take all your mentors and ship them out for pennies on the dollar.

Besides, the return for DMac and Hightower in particular wouldn't be worth losing them as roleplayers. you need those guys to get the most possilble out of your young studs. I don't think JC Jackson is as good as he is without the mentorship of guys like High and DMac.

They patched it together (extremely impressive) but Law was still on the team.

Look at today. No Gilmore. CBs playing many yards off the line of scrimmage. This D is not great when they aren't playing a lot of man cover-1.

The only reason I disagree with getting rid of those guys is that all of them, especially DMac and Hightower, have vast experience to teach our younger guys. Just because you're in a rebuild doesn't mean you take all your mentors and ship them out for pennies on the dollar.

Besides, the return for DMac and Hightower in particular wouldn't be worth losing them as roleplayers. you need those guys to get the most possilble out of your young studs. I don't think JC Jackson is as good as he is without the mentorship of guys like High and DMac.

Fair points

I always said, I don’t think a team ever lost their top 2 CBs, and won a SB, only the 2004 Patriots achieved that (I could be wrong). 4th round pick Asante Samuel (2nd year) and UDRFA Randal Gay were our CBs in SB 39. Just an incredible achievement. We had lost Ty Law and Tyrone Pool to injury earlier that year. Amazing !

They patched it together (extremely impressive) but Law was still on the team.

Look at today. No Gilmore. CBs playing many yards off the line of scrimmage. This D is not great when they aren't playing a lot of man cover-1.
Law was not with the team in the playoffs.

Mac looked good, but a loss at home to the fish is unacceptable. This team has a lot of work to do.
Every team has a lot of work to do after week 1.

This team absolutely needs Gilmore. Elite CB1's do not grow on trees. Patriots never did anything ending in a ring without an elite CB1 on the roster.
Hmmm. Ty Law back in the day, Revis for Seattle and Gilmore against the Rams. Not sure they had an elite guy for Atlanta? Or am I forgetting someone.

Na man.

never asking to lose a game.

Rhamondre is the rookie I’m most looking at. Been on his bandwagon since YouTubing his OK highlights.

I know Macs our Steve Young, so I’m honestly not concerned.

Hoping White and Rhamondre had a heart to heart after this game. Like “dude you can be me but better” vibe. Master apprentice vibe.

I love our makeup on offense, just hoping for a little more skill. Like replace Henry with an elite TE, give Mac some maturity, and one realllly good WR.... we’re Elite in 22-24.

But also ALSOOOO....

All the hand wringing over cam/Mac/Tom.....

told ya we were taking the defense for granted. Any of the above three qbs means nothinggggggggg without a mike, a cb1, an elite front 7.

gonna scream it again, we need a HT replacement if we’re gonna compete even in the East. Ppl saying “omg we’re suspect at CB”... yea man but like I think it’s deeper than that even.

let’s not take our coaches defensive genius for granted and replenish the D this and next season.

keep looking at outside positions and such... but the core of the defense is kinda collapsing as we kiiiinda replenish it.

Jones had more passing yards yesterday in his first start than Newtown had in all but 2 games last year ( Seattle and Houston) . If he keeps on this trajectory, the team will be okay.....

Jones had more passing yards yesterday in his first start than Newtown had in all but 2 games last year ( Seattle and Houston) . If he keeps on this trajectory, the team will be okay.....
I mean it be nice if the game was both qbs taking turns throwing at bullseyes on the field and nothing else buttttt

imagine our defense without bb. I’m not impressed.

Not sure why, but that seems to be the case most seasons
Easy - the more complex a scheme, the easier for one slight error in execution leading to a big play or a TD. The entire sub-group - offense or defense has to be able to execute the scheme in its entirety and be comfortable with it through numerous practice reps to be installed. Moreover concepts are modular, meaning as a team gets the basic fundamentals down there are wrinkles added.

It's the difference between knowing what to do and thinking about and then doing.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back