PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 QB’s vs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that our perspective is different. I would celebrate a season where we were competitive even though our QB went down. For me, the job of the GM isn't to win the SB each year/ it just isn't SB or bust. Curiously, when a team has the attitude of preparing for injuries with quality backups, then team can win over 10 game a season for 16 years. And yes, I do think that it important to be able to play Hoyer instead if the rookie. I wouldn't be shocked if Hoyer led us to be 5-3 or even 6-2 for half the season. Would you? And then Brady would go in for the last half, and we would likely make the playoffs. heck, Hoyer could finish the season 10-6 or 11-5 and we might still win the East.

To go back to one of my past comments. I focus on the division first. I think that Hoyer would have a better chance than a rookie of winning the division, if he had to play 4-6 games, or even the whole season.

Yeah, I'd rather Hoyer around than a rookie though. Agree that he could go 5-3/6-2 over half of a season. Really, if you want a QB...u gotta take the guy early in the draft. Tom Brady is an exception to the rule...and I don't want a rookie QB who can't do what Hoyer already can do because we want a "succession plan" in place. I'd rather go all in and rebuild on the fly later.

First, I think Brady plays three more years.

Second, I do not see any signs of skill erosion from Brady for those three years.

Third, the only thing slowing down Brady is injury. When he hurt his archillies last year, he was noticibly not as effective.

Based on all that. We need a developmental qb that will be capable of taking over in three years. Hoyer is needed simply as a Brady injury stop gap.

First, I think Brady plays three more years.

Second, I do not see any signs of skill erosion from Brady for those three years.

Third, the only thing slowing down Brady is injury. When he hurt his archillies last year, he was noticibly not as effective.

Based on all that. We need a developmental qb that will be capable of taking over in three years. Hoyer is needed simply as a Brady injury stop gap.
Agree with your last paragraph, although we have no idea if Brady will play one, two, or three more years.
I wouldn’t bet on him playing three more, myself.

I’d keep Hoyer and take a high round QB this year.

Draft two or bring Manziel and draft one, cut Hoyer after camp. He'll catch on somewhere...

Where we are picking, we have an outside shot at Mason Rudolph in the 1st, Mike White in the 2nd, Luis Perez in the 3rd, or Chad Kanoff late.

IMO White on a great team like the Pats is a can't miss prospect.

I'd rather have both Hoyer and a rookie.

Finding a QB in the draft is a crapshoot. We should try early and often over the next 1-3 years.

Yeah, I'd rather Hoyer around than a rookie though.

If we draft a QB assuming there is one BB likes, then we will have 3 QBs. There is no way Bill would go with a rookie as a backup.

He's done it twice, and Hoyer is the first veteran QB2 he's had since Flutie in 2005. [Testaverde was QB3.]

I'd rather have both Hoyer and a rookie.

Finding a QB in the draft is a crapshoot. We should try early and often over the next 1-3 years.

Another thing I thought of this AM....every time we draft a QB in the top 3 rounds, we waste an opportunity at some talent at other positions as well for someone who will sit for 2-3 seasons. I am happy we recouped a 2nd for Jimmy G, but say...we never drafted him..and took someone else instead who helped us win the SB in February? (with Brisset going 2-2 during Brady's suspension)

Another thing I thought of this AM....every time we draft a QB in the top 3 rounds, we waste an opportunity at some talent at other positions as well for someone who will sit for 2-3 seasons. I am happy we recouped a 2nd for Jimmy G, but say...we never drafted him..and took someone else instead who helped us win the SB in February? (with Brisset going 2-2 during Brady's suspension)

That seems like the win now/suck later approach that many other teams take. I think I prefer BB's approach.

There is no way Bill would go with a rookie as a backup.

He's done it twice, and Hoyer is the first veteran QB2 he's had since Flutie in 2005. [Testaverde was QB3.]
This response is a bit confusing.

He’s had a backup rookie QB twice, but Hoyer is the first veteran QB2 since Flutie back in 2005? How would that be possible? You’re either a rookie or a veteran. What am I missing?

Do you carry auto insurance?

This response is a bit confusing.

He’s had a backup rookie QB twice, but Hoyer is the first veteran QB2 since Flutie back in 2005? How would that be possible? You’re either a rookie or a veteran. What am I missing?

Sorry, let me clarify: he's the first QB2 not on a rookie deal. I generally use "veteran" for players who've reached their second contract.

It is risk management but I think the question should be, how much auto insurance do you carry and is the company A rated?

Sorry, let me clarify: he's the first QB2 not on a rookie deal. I generally use "veteran" for players who've reached their second contract.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

If we draft a QB assuming there is one BB likes, then we will have 3 QBs. There is no way Bill would go with a rookie as a backup.

Lets face it, the media and the sky is falling types are going to turn this draft and preseason into a hell on earth. There is no sense in sending a rookie into the maelstrom of BS that is coming.
wasnt the last time he did go with a rookie backup Hoyer in 09?

Hoyer is an insurance policy. He is a back up who has at least started 20+ games in the NFL. Hoyer helps us in 2018 more than any rookie we would draft.

A rookie QB is not an insurance policy, but more like an investment if you will. I'd rather invest in 2018 than the future.

I'd rather invest in 2018 than the future.

False dichotomy. BB can - and has - done both at the same time for about 18 years = 12 Final Four appearances and 8 Championship Game appearances over that span.

Hoyer is an insurance policy. He is a back up who has at least started 20+ games in the NFL. Hoyer helps us in 2018 more than any rookie we would draft.

A rookie QB is not an insurance policy, but more like an investment if you will. I'd rather invest in 2018 than the future.
Insurance is an investment. All of it is management of risk with a lean towards value because of the cap. By choosing only Hoyer as your insurance you are going with minimum value with barest minimum investment in following years. That's fine. Unless, the value of a young QB appears before you, say in Round 2 or 3. What do you do? Not invest in a purchase that will create a better insurance policy in year 2 than Hoyer? Perhaps like JG, the investment will be as good as or better than Hoyer in year 1.

Your analogy is better.

You propose to live for today and to NOT invest in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents