PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 Months To Upgrade Bottom Of Roster

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have lots of strong competition at the bottom of the 53 man roster. There are three positions that I see as most upgradable. Even here, we may be fine with what we have. We still need to considering adding players who might be needed in case of injuries.

I see the following positions as especially upgradable through signings or trades
1) #4 WR and #5 WR if there is one
2) #8 OL and #9 OL
3) #4 CB

This is the shortest list that I have ever seen for the patriots at this point.

I'm as sure that BB is assessing the bottom of the roster carefully as I am that he won't make a move jjust to make a move.

We have lots of strong competition at the bottom of the 53 man roster. There are three positions that I see as most upgradable. Even here, we may be fine with what we have. We still need to considering adding players who might be needed in case of injuries.

I see the following positions as especially upgradable through signings or trades
2) #8 OL and #9 OL
3) #4 CB

I just posted in another thread about the WR upgrade needed - primarily at slot receiver. Given the last two guys - Edelman and Welker - Belichick knows he needs to snag an upgrade to Gunner Olzsewski (although I may be underestimating his talent.)

Why is QB not on your list? There will be some pretty good veteran QBs cut this summer. I see an upgrade over Stidham or Newton if Mac Jones wins the job outright in camp. I can see Newton retiring or getting traded for a late round draft pick if Jones steps up and distances himself from the other guys. Newton doesn't strike me as a player who would be comfortable as a backup.

I just posted in another thread about the WR upgrade needed - primarily at slot receiver. Given the last two guys - Edelman and Welker - Belichick knows he needs to snag an upgrade to Gunner Olzsewski (although I may be underestimating his talent.)

Why is QB not on your list? There will be some pretty good veteran QBs cut this summer. I see an upgrade over Stidham or Newton if Mac Jones wins the job outright in camp. I can see Newton retiring or getting traded for a late round draft pick if Jones steps up and distances himself from the other guys. Newton doesn't strike me as a player who would be comfortable as a backup.
WR
I believe that both Myers and Bourne are fine slot receivers. I don't see us adding another. I would like to see Gunner advance as a receiver, but I'm not counting on it. He makes the roster as a returner. So for me we have Agholor and Harry on the outside, Bourne in the slot, and Myers in either position. That being said, I think that it is Harry that can be replaced.

QB
I think that you underestimate Belichick's evaluation of Cam. He is our starter until Jones can beat him out. It is really that simple. Whether Cam doesn't want to lose that competition is really irrelevant. In any case, I don't see Jones starting immediately. Perhaps much depends on when we have our bye.

We could upgrade our #3 QB position. This vet could also be the backup next year. I just don't see that happening. We will need a backup for Game One, and that is likely to be Stidham.

Last edited:
Sign Eluemanor to backup LG/RG/RT

Might as well wait and see if any WRs get cut because there’s not much out there

Also seems like there are still quite a few good/decent outside CB options out there for depth.

What's interesting is they could fill all three of those slots with guys they already know who are still on the market: Byrd, McCourty, and Elumeanor. All three are known commodities who wouldn't be devastating if someone beats them out in the end. Byrd is my top target in this category, with his relative success in the system and chemistry with Cam. He also fills the outside receiver role better than anyone else on the roster after Agohlor, so we need depth there. I feel like McCourty would end up losing out to a combination of Mills and Bryant (who I'm bullish on) in the end, but I'd rather have him as a "floor" option for CB.

Doug Kyed had a pretty good 53 breakdown. I would have inserted Montravious Adams instead of Wise and either McMillan or Hall in place of Bentley. I'm looking forward to see if Gunner can make an advance as a slot receiver. Hoping for more from Uche, Jennings and Winovich.

This roster is pretty deep as it stands now, but the positions that I can see a potential upgrade are :

Cb (very top heavy here, would love to bring J. McCourty back, but there are other f/a still out there worth taking a look at)
Wr- (Would love to get a stud number 1, but with our two new tight ends on the field at the same time together , not sure if there are enough footballs to go around)

This roster is pretty deep as it stands now, but the positions that I can see a potential upgrade are :

Cb (very top heavy here, would love to bring J. McCourty back, but there are other f/a still out there worth taking a look at)
Wr- (Would love to get a stud number 1, but with our two new tight ends on the field at the same time together , not sure if there are enough footballs to go around)

Doug Kyed had a pretty good 53 breakdown. I would have inserted Montravious Adams instead of Wise and either McMillan or Hall in place of Bentley. I'm looking forward to see if Gunner can make an advance as a slot receiver. Hoping for more from Uche, Jennings and Winovich.
Adams has $50K guaranteed.

Wise has $10,000,000 guaranteed.

I think that it is unlikely that Adams will move Wise off the roster.
================
I expect McMillan to replace Bentley.

WR
I believe that both Myers and Bourne are fine slot receivers. I don't see us adding another. I would like to see Gunner advance as a receiver, but I'm not counting on it. He makes the roster as a returner. So for me we have Agholor and Harry on the outside, Bourne in the slot, and Myers in either position. That being said, I think that it is Harry that can be replaced.

QB
I think that you underestimate Belichick's evaluation of Cam. He is our starter until Jones can beat him out. It is really that simple. Whether Cam doesn't want to lose that competition is really irrelevant. In any case, I don't see Jones starting immediately. Perhaps much depends on when we have our bye.

We could upgrade our #3 QB position. This vet could also be the backup next year. I just don't see that happening. We will need a backup for Game One, and that is likely to be Stidham.

Meyers is severely underrated (not by you per se, in general), this kid right now is at least #2 and I think actually better than Agholor already. If he started all year he's a 1200 yard receiver, in a bad QB offense with defenders key'ing on him because teammates are bad. Meyers is elite. This kid is special. Don't ruin it, he's already here.

Not sure why they exercised Wynn's 5th. 10.5m for someone who has played 50% of the time?

4th and 5th WR is basically the 6th-7th or 7th-8th receiving option from their deck of cards given Henry, Smith and White. They can make do as is. Can see them adding someone with wheels for camp to compete as more of an outside guy though.

Adams has $50K guaranteed.

Wise has $10,000,000 guaranteed.

I think that it is unlikely that Adams will move Wise off the roster.
================
I expect McMillan to replace Bentley.
I didn't realize his guarantee was that significant. Oh well, I can only hope someone is so spectacular that BB eats that 10 M or perhaps he will surprise me. BB definitely knows more than I do.

Meyers is severely underrated (not by you per se, in general), this kid right now is at least #2 and I think actually better than Agholor already. If he started all year he's a 1200 yard receiver, in a bad QB offense with defenders key'ing on him because teammates are bad. Meyers is elite. This kid is special. Don't ruin it, he's already here.

Hope you are right. He and Agholor have very different roles in the offense. I don't see them as competing. Add the two TE's, plus a RB, is 11 guys. Take a TE off the field, or go empty, is when the other guys get routine playing time.

The "dynamic" or "#1" WR people want would replace Agholor (outside, deep). I don't see the upgrade potential as very high there, certainly not enough to be a priority.

And Julio Jones, or Larry Fitzpatrick replace Meyers, and I don't see the upgrade there as worth the investment, either.

2) #8 OL and #9 OL
3) #4 CB

And yet, from what I understand, not bringing in UDFA is going to sink the season.

Hope you are right. He and Agholor have very different roles in the offense. I don't see them as competing. Add the two TE's, plus a RB, is 11 guys. Take a TE off the field, or go empty, is when the other guys get routine playing time.

The "dynamic" or "#1" WR people want would replace Agholor (outside, deep). I don't see the upgrade potential as very high there, certainly not enough to be a priority.

And Julio Jones, or Larry Fitzpatrick replace Meyers, and I don't see the upgrade there as worth the investment, either.

Right plus there's Bourne off the bench. So 12 quality guys for 11 spots. I dunno I think this offense is stacked if Mac can drive the car.

Cant doesn't seem like the type of guy to handle being the backup, like a Drew Bledsoe type that would be a team player in the locker room in spite of the disappointment.

Gunner isn't as strong or as shifty as Edelman or Welker. I think you may be right about him.

If Mac Jones does turn out to be the real deal would some other QB end up being cut or traded?

We really needed to draft high a WR or two in this draft.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back