PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

21-Years Ago Today...

It's been a great place for so many of us to talk about football and life. Thanks @Ian for everything you do and for your common sense, level headed approach. It never would have been this successful with a different site owner.

Man, what a thread. Some of these posts are bringing tears to my eyes and no one could ruin it, probably not even @KontradictioN .

@Ian I hope this helps to make you understand how we only think of you in the best light and how much you and the site mean to us. When tragedy befell my family in 2012 you were one of the first people that I reached out to. That was not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Happy Anniversary PatsFans, got you on my
mi-i-i-i-ind!

Thanks for all the info and insight and joy.

• ThankU!
Reactions: Ian
21-Years ago today (6/17/00) I registered the domain patsfans.com, having no idea that the following year would be the start of what it's been for the team. It's just really cool that we've all been able to enjoy it together and I honestly can't believe it's been that long...what a crazy ride. Thank you to all of you who visit each day & for all the friends & people I've gotten to know over the years, as well as the ones who are no longer with us. Realizing that we've had so many who were a part of this community and that I played a part in that is incredibly humbling...I don't have words.

It's been far from perfect, especially from my standpoint. There have been plenty of times that I wish I could have done things differently and I'm aware of the fact I've also let many people down over the years...which I still have a hard time dealing with at times. As the majority of you know, there have been plenty of ups and downs here with everything that has gone on and it's safe to say I never would have been able to push through without all the support. Now that I'm older, you sort of look at things a lot differently but when those moments come where I do take time and reflect...I think of a lot of different situations and realize we have something really special and I promise to try and continue making it better. At the end of the day, it's all of you who have made this place what it is and I'm truly grateful to have been a part of it.

Looking forward to the next 21, and I'll keep pushing things forward and hope we can enjoy some good football along the way as well. :)

Ian, I just want to say that you're terrific. The site is great and you do a fantastic job running it. I'm not as frequent a poster as I used to be but that's only because my life has gotten ungodly busy. Keep up the amazing work.

Thank you Ian, just a great place for Patriot fans to come and chat about their team. I've met so many great people on here, actually dated someone but we won't go there. lol
But anyway, really appreciate everything you have done and keep doing to make this the best fan site on the web!!!

BGC

Best website on the internet and BY FAR my #1 source of procrastination. Great job Ian!!!

In all seriousness I really appreciate this site and what you do @Ian. I've only been on two other pats forums and this one is by far the best. With respect to the others it's not even close. User friendly. Updated look. Fast.

This place has some very nice, very smart, knowledgeable posters as well. I know we talked about something remembering all the great posters here. Hope we see something like that in the future. I'm a weirdo and look at a few posters old post for insight and info. I'm always looking at draft stuff no matter the day or decade. You've had a lot of great posters here. It would be nice to have a HOF of sorts for guys like Rook and Box. Geezers like @patfanken and @manxman2601. You could be the sole vote or we could have a vote every few years.

I feel like such a newbie. Hopefully I make it to the 25th - 30th anniversary! Thanks for letting me pretend I'm important cosplaying super scout :)

It would be nice to have a HOF of sorts for guys like Rook and Box. Geezers like @patfanken and @manxman2601. You could be the sole vote or we could have a vote every few years.

(Ah, you Americans -- always have to make it a competition! :whistle:)

Perhaps @jmt57 would do a look back on Patsfans' past. I still remember the NEM wars, "No way David Patten makes this team", Miguel being accused of being a secret Colts fan, but I'm sure there are a lot I've forgotten. But, if there's going to be a HOF, @jmt57 should be in it just for the history threads.

Perhaps @jmt57 would do a look back on Patsfans' past. I still remember the NEM wars, "No way David Patten makes this team", Miguel being accused of being a secret Colts fan, but I'm sure there are a lot I've forgotten. But, if there's going to be a HOF, @jmt57 should be in it just for the history threads.
Mate when you're the oldest, greatest country in the world you do what you want ;) Get it sorted lad. Plus I gave @Ian the option of being King and ruling how he sees fit. Thought that would be right up your alley Sherlock?

I've heard of NEM brought up a few times but that was apparently before I graced the board with my presence. What kind of crazy was he/she? I'd to love hear some old war stories. Jeez you've been here since 2004 I'm sure you have a few good ones.

In all seriousness I think it's a nice way to remember some posters. It's crazy to think about but some have been here almost 20 years.

Mate when you're the oldest, greatest country in the world you do what you want ;) Get it sorted lad. Plus I gave @Ian the option of being King and ruling how he sees fit. Thought that would be right up your alley Sherlock?

I've heard of NEM brought up a few times but that was apparently before I graced the board with my presence. What kind of crazy was he/she? I'd to love hear some old war stories. Jeez you've been here since 2004 I'm sure you have a few good ones.

In all seriousness I think it's a nice way to remember some posters. It's crazy to think about but some have been here almost 20 years.

Effortless superiority, buddy, that's the jolly old ticket! :D

Anyway, old NEM (I think he's now the late NEM) was as mad as a box of frogs.

He loved the Pats beyond reason. In fact, everything he did was beyond reason and he was repeatedly getting banned, but Ian -- being the incredibly patient and kind man he is -- kept relenting and letting him back in because the Board meant so much to him, until the time he went too far for the last time and even Ian wouldn't let him back. I don't know what that was for, but it must have been something really bad to have even Ian say "enough is enough".

Of course, NEM got into flame wars time and again, but not because he was an internet tough guy who thought provoking people and contradicting them made him a real man (I name no names). It's just that he had no off switch. And once he got an idea into his head it would stay there come what may. His main calling card was that, back in the day (and, remember, this was a time when the Pats won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years) everything that went wrong was the fault of Charlie Weis.

I can't remember everything but I will say one thing that sticks in the memory. In 2005, early in the year, he was all in on the Pats drafting DeMarcus Ware (who played at a small school). Of course, in the months that followed Ware shot up the draft boards and ended up going to Dallas way before the Pats picked. Still, that was one obsession where he was dead right.

I only vaguely remember those Miguel accusations but I think they might be true. But that's OK- to each their own.

I'm proud and happy to be a part of this band of beasts.

Effortless superiority, buddy, that's the jolly old ticket! :D

Anyway, old NEM (I think he's now the late NEM) was as mad as a box of frogs.

He loved the Pats beyond reason. In fact, everything he did was beyond reason and he was repeatedly getting banned, but Ian -- being the incredibly patient and kind man he is -- kept relenting and letting him back in because the Board meant so much to him, until the time he went too far for the last time and even Ian wouldn't let him back. I don't know what that was for, but it must have been something really bad to have even Ian say "enough is enough".

Of course, NEM got into flame wars time and again, but not because he was an internet tough guy who thought provoking people and contradicting them made him a real man (I name no names). It's just that he had no off switch. And once he got an idea into his head it would stay there come what may. His main calling card was that, back in the day (and, remember, this was a time when the Pats won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years) everything that went wrong was the fault of Charlie Weis.

I can't remember everything but I will say one thing that sticks in the memory. In 2005, early in the year, he was all in on the Pats drafting DeMarcus Ware (who played at a small school). Of course, in the months that followed Ware shot up the draft boards and ended up going to Dallas way before the Pats picked. Still, that was one obsession where he was dead right.
Brilliant post, mate. I got "jolly" and "mad as a box of frogs" ... So cool.

So a bit obsessive when it comes to certain topics and had it out for the OC ... doesn't sound familiar. RIP NEM if he's no longer with us.

Characters make this place great though. Hopefully the people watching are enjoying themselves.

Cheers Mike you're a good dude. Thanks for the story.

I only vaguely remember those Miguel accusations but I think they might be true. But that's OK- to each their own.

I'm proud and happy to be a part of this band of beasts.

Trust me, it's not!

(Reminds me I still owe you a beer after all of these years. And now I'm in the U.K. and probably not back in the U.S. until October. Next year in Jerusalem, as they say ...)

Trust me, it's not!

(Reminds me I still owe you a beer after all of these years. And now I'm in the U.K. and probably not back in the U.S. until October. Next year in Jerusalem, as they say ...)
I trust you implicitly!

Next year in Beerusalem! Let me know when you're back and we will do it at last!

FWIW...NEM took the big adios over a decade ago. He was a staunch righty "get off my lawn" guy that posted everywhere...KFFL? there's NEM all day? The old Herald and Globe boards? all day, all night. CNNSI had a national board up for years back at the turn of the 21st century, NEM frequented the Pats tab there.Even the old Mikessports.com (Francesa's failed excursion into cyberspace) would sport an appearance from the cantankerous NEM. Way back when Ian was just bringing Patsfans online there was the Unofficial Patriots.com board where most of the old hall of fame guys like Box posted regularly.Don't ask me why I remember this but NEM was the only person ever banned from there. Once he fixated on a topic he'd go off for DAYS arguing. I don't think he ever agreed with anything BB did back then. An original "knower of things" and a true character.

NEM was Stevenson on steroids.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back