PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION 2024 NFL Monday Wild Card Game Thread

Tom Cruise What GIF

Love was 16/21 for 272 and 3 TDs. He had over 4100 yards and 32 TDs this year. He's got 6 guys catching passed under 25 years old. They are just going to be better.

Baker Mayfield was 22/36 for 337 and 3 TDs as well. He filled the shoes of the GOAT very well, vanquishing the defending SB champs in the process.

It's all about the QB, bud.
I would add, both teams have talented skill players. Their offenses are not vanilla either. They both have top 10 defenses.

Both offenses had 1st time starting QBs (despite Love being there for 3 yrs), and had a very slow start to the season: TB (4-7), GB (3-6) before going on a run.

I would add, both teams have talented skill players. Their offenses are not vanilla either. They both have top 10 defenses.

Both offenses had 1st time starting QBs (despite Love being there for 3 yrs), and had a very slow start to the season: TB (4-7), GB (3-6) before going on a run.
GBs receivers are not brand names... yet.

Tom Cruise What GIF

Love was 16/21 for 272 and 3 TDs. He had over 4100 yards and 32 TDs this year. He's got 6 guys catching passed under 25 years old. They are just going to be better.

Baker Mayfield was 22/36 for 337 and 3 TDs as well. He filled the shoes of the GOAT very well, vanquishing the defending SB champs in the process.

It's all about the QB, bud.
Whoever is responsible for Green Bay’s WRs is a guy I would love to add to our staff. Doubs, Watson, Reed and Wicks in the last 2 drafts. Yes please.

I remember when everyone here was saying TB sold out for a SB and it would take them years to be relevant again. They emptied the dead cap hit caused by Brady this season and signed Baker. Now they're back in the playoffs for the 4th year in a row. They still have a bunch of talent and have the 9th most cap space.

I also remember how everyone used Brady's dead cap as an excuse for the Pats not being able to do anything in 2020. Three years later, the team got worse and missed the playoffs again.

LICHT >>>> belichick
BOWLES >> belichick
Yup
LICHT >>>> belichick

Mike Evans and Godwin is a pairing made in heaven for a competent QB. Little redundancy and some of the best at their positions. It's wild how Evans still makes for as much separation as he does.

Guessing tampa’s success might make it even less likely now for those of us who wanted mike evans next year :/

Some folks on the board insist that you must. To them it’s impossible for both to simultaneously co-exist in a fan’s heart.
this is what i don't get. It's not one or the other but now I'm just playing the dumb game like eveyrone else

Yup
LICHT >>>> belichick

Let’s be real they won a terrible division 9-8 with 2 free wins from the panthers. 1 win better than what our supposed terrible team did last year.

Now I like tampa and expected them to hold their own in the playoffs but the sudden fellatio because they beat an eagles team on a 1-5 streak is a bit overboard.

Let’s be real they won a terrible division 9-8 with 2 free wins from the panthers. 1 win better than what our supposed terrible team did last year.

Now I like tampa and expected them to hold their own in the playoffs but the sudden fellatio because they beat an eagles team on a 1-5 streak is a bit overboard.
Maybe, but all of those are facts. Their fans were calling for a tank.

I just find it an interesting case study comparison between how the 2 teams w/ the GOAT approached the season after he left when they were both cap/cash strapped:

NE in 2020: 7-9 (3rd of 4)
Dead cap: 31M (#9 in NFL)
Tag: Joe Thuney
Bridge QB: Cam Newton
2021 Cap space: 56M (#4)
FA:

Screenshot_20240116_154944_Firefox.jpg
Draft:
Screenshot_20240116_154417_Firefox.jpg

Bucs in 2023: 9-8 Win Div.
Dead cap: >81M (#1 in NFL)
Tag: none
Bridge QB: Baker Mayfield
2024 Cap space: 47M (#9)
FA:

Screenshot_20240116_155334_Firefox.jpg
Draft:
Screenshot_20240116_155723_Firefox.jpg

Patriots don't back load their contracts and try to stay true to the cap. It's been argued this approach yields greater team depth for long term success. The evidence shows the opposite: team is devoid of talent with poor results, though w/ good cap space. We still need a QB.

Bucs use void years to spread out the cap hits. It was widely argued here that they mortgaged their future by going all-in for the SB. The evidence shows the opposite: still loaded w/ talent w/ good results and good cap space. Though they still need a QB, unless Baker actually pans out.

GBs receivers are not brand names... yet.

True, aside from AJones they're relatively new names but talented.

Whoever is responsible for Green Bay’s WRs is a guy I would love to add to our staff. Doubs, Watson, Reed and Wicks in the last 2 drafts. Yes please.

Except for UDFA rookies Malik Heath & Ben Sims - and the over-drafted & injury-prone Josh Deguara - ALL of GB's other WRs & TEs should've been on Our radar the last two drafts.

Except for UDFA rookies Malik Heath & Ben Sims - and the over-drafted & injury-prone Josh Deguara - ALL of GB's other WRs & TEs should've been on Our radar the last two drafts.
Hindsight is always 20/20 my man.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back