PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread 2023 Week 1 OFFICIAL Game Thread: Patriots vs Eagles

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is no QB, Brady, Mahones, Allen, whoever isn't making Boutte get both feet down on that play despite being 100% the correct play and ball placement. You can't judge Mac on things like "clutch" when that's happening.
It’s not on Mac, I definitely agree. He made a good pass.

I like said..regradless people will belly ache. Mac wasn't the issue this game. Especially on the last throw..

Some fans just can't help themselves...
He was solid but he needs a lot of work on the deep shots. There were some where there were no blue jerseys on the tv screen when those hot air balloon passes landed

That first quarter was scary. But clearly the offense is light years better than last year. Not every play call was great, but it never is. This definitely looked like a pro football offense after last year's **** show. Mac didn't get rattled after the bad start and had a nice game. We're going to have a good year!

My point is no QB, Brady, Mahones, Allen, whoever isn't making Boutte get both feet down on that play despite being 100% the correct play and ball placement. You can't judge Mac on things like "clutch" when that's happening.
but those giys throw is a bit sooner without double-clutching making a toe tap a non issue.

mac was gun shy...even Romo tiptoed around that tonight

Does anyone remember the game against the Giant in 2007 we barely won at the end of the perfect season? I said at the time I didn't wanna face that team again in the dance. That's what philli is saying right now. I'm all set with a rematch.

He was solid but he needs a lot of work on the deep shots. There were some where there were no blue jerseys on the tv screen when those hot air balloon passes landed

Yea definitely...but he played pretty solid overall.

I'm disappointed, but not upset about this game. Never thought the Pats would win this game, but they came close and if not for a few errors they would have. Not looking at this as a moral victory, but an encouragement that the Pats could become competitive this season.

This gives hope about the season. The Patriots actually outplayed the Eagles on both sides of the ball. It was costly and sometimes stupid mistakes that cost the Pats the game, not that they were outclassed by a much better team. These mistakes can be corrected. Hopefully they will be.

I am encouraged about the defense. They shut down Jalen Hurts and the offense for most of the game. Mac outplayed Hurts. This was an offense that even best defenses last year couldn't slow down.

I am encouraged about Mac and the offense. At times Mac played like an elite QB. It was an uneven performance, but it is week one in a new system with both his guards out and his best receiver (or possibly his best receiver) out. Those two Boutte non-catches would have gone to Parker if he was in. And this was one of the best defenses in the league last year. There is at some hope that come October that this offense could be humming.

If this was a game in October, I would be more concerned. But there are pieces there that this could be a playoff contender and potentially more. That is more than I would have hoped for a few weeks ago.

So... can we just finally agree that this team is going nowhere?

How many moral victories against goof teams do we have to witness for you to realize that this team is just not good?

They aren't that talented.
Their QB isn't great enough.
Their OC is overrated.
And yes, their coach is also overrated. Great defensive mind, but his situational football has greatly been exposed since Brady has left.

I can't wait till the end of the season when people start saying "if Boutte had just kept his foot inbounds" as to why the Pats were secretly good.

The CLUTCH gene. Some guys like TB12 have it in spades. Some guys like "regular season MVP" Aaron Rodgers just don't!

Can we take a moment to appreciate how many amazing clutch moments Brady gave us? I'm so glad we got to honor him at half time and looking forward to his HOF induction next year! The GOAT carried us on his back for so long. Sometimes you have to live through NOT having a great QB to see how good you had it.

I'm not pronouncing Mac Jones career "done" yet. He's still got time to turn it around. But the way he looks like a 'deer in headlights' whenever he feels pressure, well it's not very promising.
I just don’t know how that can be your takeaway after putting together good clutch drives and the game literally ending on his wr not getting his feet in on a good ball and a moderately difficult (at best) catch.
Especially when the drive before he put a good ball on Bourne on 3rd down.

But quite literally if boutte does his job there we had first and goal for the win. I can’t come away from that saying Mac doesn’t have the clutch gene

No most of it is on the rookie. The average NFL receiver is getting both feet down. That was the right play and if you are quibbling over 1/10th of a second, then he threw it pretty damn well. The receiver wasn't a 1/10th of a second from getting a second foot down.
0.1s for a WR moving at 17-18mph is almost a yard. Dang right I'm quibbling. It's the difference between a good QB and great QB.

Got to love some posters in the game day thread saying the game is over and a blowout, Pats suck, fire Bill, O’Brien is no better than Patricia, etc.

Then they get upset when the Pats make it game, but lose.

but those giys throw is a bit sooner without double-clutching making a toe tap a non issue.

mac was gun shy...even Romo tiptoed around that tonight
No... they wouldn't. Mac MIGHT have been a fraction of a second beind on that show. But the receiver was not a fraction of a second behind on getting both feet in. That pass was going to be incomplete because the receiver lacked the instincts to tap both feet. With those guys, they can throw the exact same throw as Mac... and guess what... the receivers they regular played with are going to make the toe tap. That play had nothing to do with Mac making a mistake. He made the right read and threw a ball that any competent WR is supposed to make and the WR didn't and as a result his potential game winning drive was cut short.

This team is just not ready coming out of the gate...third straight season opening loss

0.1s for a WR moving at 17-18mph is almost a yard. Dang right I'm quibbling. It's the difference between a good QB and great QB.
Same exact throw, every WR on the Chiefs makes that catch and gets the feet in, every WR on the Dolphins does, same with the Bills, same with the Eagles who we just played, same with any good team. Pats WR corp aren't doing things WR's in the NFL routinely do on instinct. The big problem on that play was the receiver, not the QB.

There's other plays to complain about Mac on. That is not one of them. And you can chalk this up to another Pats potential game winning drive where someone makes a basic mistake

Jakobi Meyers 10 targets, 9 receptions, 81 yds, 2 tds……so happy we let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST