PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread 2023 Week 1 OFFICIAL Game Thread: Patriots vs Eagles

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CLUTCH gene. Some guys like TB12 have it in spades. Some guys like "regular season MVP" Aaron Rodgers just don't!

Can we take a moment to appreciate how many amazing clutch moments Brady gave us? I'm so glad we got to honor him at half time and looking forward to his HOF induction next year! The GOAT carried us on his back for so long. Sometimes you have to live through NOT having a great QB to see how good you had it.

I'm not pronouncing Mac Jones career "done" yet. He's still got time to turn it around. But the way he looks like a 'deer in headlights' whenever he feels pressure, well it's not very promising.
He doesn't have a signature moment or win that's for sure, there's been about 6 or 7 legitimate chances to beat a good team and he hasn't done it.

Pats had no running game today. That has to change next week if they’re going to win.

Story of the game is they made mistakes early and got it together late and played well against a SB team but couldn't overcome the early hiccups.

This was probably better than any game last year
Plenty of mistakes late my guy.

Even boutte showed something. Not going to kill a guy for not being a natural toe tapper.

D looked pretty solid.

Mac made some really off target and weak throws. Henry bailed him out on one with a crazy Odell catch.

I feel worse about Mac being the guy than I ever have.

Just had no confidence putting the ball in his hand to win.

That said, not kicking that FG should haunt Bill.

I shouldn't, but Mac was not the issue

He brought the team back in the first half and the one thing you want your QB to do is be able to move the ball in the last 2 mins of the game. He did that.

Some throws weren't prefect but was not the deciding factor in this game or any point in this game aside from the pick 6, which he came back from.

miami likely scores 31. Hard to see that matched with Mac unless running game goes off
Maybe, maybe not. I like our defense. Philly didn’t play well but our defense certainly had a hand in it. They could play well against Miami too.

That game is 100% on BB for passing on easy field goals. It’s time to put the old fart out to pasture.

Receivers weren’t why they lost today. Not sure why this is your takeaway.

Their X WR had zero catches. He also couldn't keep his feet in twice

Any reporters ask him enjoy we didn’t kick the field goal.

Pats had 2 shots at it under 4 minutes and didn't get it done either time. Until Jones shows he's the guy it's all just blah blah blah

That was a clutch throw on 4th down, dummy. Unfortunately, Boutte still thinks he is playing for LSU.
Again with Mac, just threw it a tenth of a sec too late. You can see a slight double clutch. Obv some of it is on the 6th Round rookie WR playing his 1st NFL game ever, but most of it to me is on the 3rd year QB who should've known better than to cut it that close.

At least Boutte catches the ball. He’ll learn with the toe tap but I like what I saw from him otherwise. Give the rookie a break, this game wasn’t on him.
My point is no QB, Brady, Mahones, Allen, whoever isn't making Boutte get both feet down on that play despite being 100% the correct play and ball placement. You can't judge Mac on things like "clutch" when that's happening.

Even when they came back I knew this was the type of game they never win. Mac doesn't do game winning drives. We win games one type of way only with him. Get ahead early and keep the lead.

So why didn’t Bill kick? So dumb. It’s not like they had to be desperate.
I know you’ll be surprised to hear it, but Belichick said, “I thought It was the best decision for the team.”

and then he added that if he kicked it, everyone would ask him why he didn’t go for it.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
One particular guy doesnt deserve the blame here. This game falls on the HC, his offensive coaching staff and every player on that offense. Played a SB quality team to the wire but still failed to put up the points. This has been going on for far too long. This league has made it easier than ever to score points and we couldnt get it done. I’m gonna make the excuse that it was the Patriots that beat themselves and the lack of points was a result of the team they were playing. If this goes on the rest of the season though, we’re in trouble.

Their X WR had zero catches. He also couldn't keep his feet in twice
He’s a rookie, supposedly bottom of the depth chart. Yet he at least catches the ball and the QB is throwing to him in critical moments and not our key signing of the season in JuJu. You should walk away feeling encouraged about Boutte although frustrated about the toe tap. He’ll learn.

It’s dumb to point the finger at him. Tell the coach not to be an idiot and make the proper game decision.

Piss decision chasing points rather than getting a field goal to bring it closer around 10 minutes left.
That decision cost us the game.

Again with Mac, just threw it a tenth of a sec too late. You can see a slight double clutch. Obv some of it is on the 6th Round rookie WR playing his 1st NFL game ever, but most of it to me is on the 3rd year QB who should've known better than to cut it that close.
No most of it is on the rookie. The average NFL receiver is getting both feet down. That was the right play and if you are quibbling over 1/10th of a second, then he threw it pretty damn well. The receiver wasn't a 1/10th of a second from getting a second foot down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST