PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Is there currently anyone worth keeping on the OL? Onwenu? Strange and the other rookies? I can't imagine anybody wants any part of our tackles or centers right now.

Elevations to the 53 are usually made to make sure a player is not plucked off the practice squad because the coaching staff thinks the player is valuable. Yes, we do not know for sure, but indications are the Russey is a keeper.

D McC is retiring this year or next, we need a FS and OT much more desperately than Center.

Disagree with the bolded... Agree about OT however... Brown & Cachoo were comically, embarrassingly terrible today.

This OLine is horrible

Not to make excuses for Mac, but he's got multiple defenders in his face within 2 seconds of the ball being snapped on every single play.
Other than the very first play of the game, which was odd because it looked like Andrews snapped the ball and every other lineman thought the snap was on two and didn’t move, Mac had closer to 4-5 seconds and held the ball like a statue.

People are blaming the line for all the sacks, it wasn’t a case of the line completely sucking. Receivers weren’t open or Mac didn’t see them, either way he has to find a way to throw it away.

They need to replace Ferentz with Russey, they can’t afford to start him the rest of the season… he blows.

Trent Brown-I Wynn-Kody Russey-Onemenu-Cole Strange.

That should be your Patriots starting lineup, assuming Wynn can go. If not, then Ferentz plays guard and let the games begin.

Captain Stone is right about the Bad News Bears play of the OTs vs the Jests. Cachoo isn’t ready. At least illness can be attributed to Trent Brown who played better than the RT.

That should be your Patriots starting lineup, assuming Wynn can go. If not, then Ferentz plays guard and let the games begin.

Captain Stone is right about the Bad News Bears play of the OTs vs the Jests. Cachoo isn’t ready. At least illness can be attributed to Trent Brown who played better than the RT.

Strange69 would be just as awful at RT as Lose/Lose has been.

Strange69 would be just as awful at RT as Lose/Lose has been.
May I?
Cachoo - A sneeze would put up more resistance
Lose/Lose - His play is a losing proposition for all parties involved
Strange69 - Befuddling play not unlike his nickname

Other than the very first play of the game, which was odd because it looked like Andrews snapped the ball and every other lineman thought the snap was on two and didn’t move, Mac had closer to 4-5 seconds and held the ball like a statue.

People are blaming the line for all the sacks, it wasn’t a case of the line completely sucking. Receivers weren’t open or Mac didn’t see them, either way he has to find a way to throw it away.

They need to replace Ferentz with Russey, they can’t afford to start him the rest of the season… he blows.
This is my take.

Nobody thinks the o-line is playing great right now, but Jones has his share of blame in the sack department.

Since returning from injury he looks scared. Scared to scramble and also scared to throw a pick. The latter is good but the former is concerning because it’s resulting in him taking a lot more hits than he needs to.

He had 5 sacks in 3 full games prior to injury (with 3 from the ravens). He’s had 16 in 3 full games since returning. People can blame the line all they want, and they will be partially right, but we all watched him just stand there and take sacks when he could have stepped up in the pocket.

My issue is, if he’s not scrambling because his ankle hurts, he shouldn’t have returned so soon. If he’s not scrambling out of fear, that’s a pretty big concern for his career. He has to shake that before he starts seeing ghosts (or whatever the phrase is)

I could see Strange playing one of the tackle positions next year, and that's why BB drafted him, but definitely not this year. I liked the starting lineup we put out yesterday until Andrews and Wynn went down and then the wheels came off.

Early. This would be my rough PTP Board for T. Sorry missed this haven't been around lately.
RD1
Anton Harrison/Darnell Wright
Low end RD1/RD2
Matthew Bergeron
RD2
Peter Skoronski
Broderick Jones
RD3-4
Blake Freeland
Jaxson Kirkland
RD4-5
Doug Nester
Ryan Hayes
RD6-7
Olumuyiwa Fashanu

Does that mean it's a really weak draft for OT? or just that there are very few who are PTP type players? Or both?

This is my take.

Nobody thinks the o-line is playing great right now, but Jones has his share of blame in the sack department.

Since returning from injury he looks scared. Scared to scramble and also scared to throw a pick. The latter is good but the former is concerning because it’s resulting in him taking a lot more hits than he needs to.

He had 5 sacks in 3 full games prior to injury (with 3 from the ravens). He’s had 16 in 3 full games since returning. People can blame the line all they want, and they will be partially right, but we all watched him just stand there and take sacks when he could have stepped up in the pocket.

My issue is, if he’s not scrambling because his ankle hurts, he shouldn’t have returned so soon. If he’s not scrambling out of fear, that’s a pretty big concern for his career. He has to shake that before he starts seeing ghosts (or whatever the phrase is)
He hasn’t thrown an interception in the past two games, he’s played incrementally better.

He put up his season high in passing yards versus the Ravens, but he turned it over 4 times. I’ll take the alternative of 200 yards passing (less) and no interceptions every time.

I think during his injury vacation the coaches impressed upon him the importance of turnovers. If he can build on this foundation, he might eventually get back to passing for 300+ yards and no INT’s. Mac has the tools to be great, he needs to get his head straight.

I could see Strange playing one of the tackle positions next year, and that's why BB drafted him, but definitely not this year. I liked the starting lineup we put out yesterday until Andrews and Wynn went down and then the wheels came off.
I don’t see Strange at tackle, he’s better built for inside. They’ll draft some or sign free agents.

He hasn’t thrown an interception in the past two games, he’s played incrementally better.

He put up his season high in passing yards versus the Ravens, but he turned it over 4 times. I’ll take the alternative of 200 yards passing (less) and no interceptions every time.

I think during his injury vacation the coaches impressed upon him the importance of turnovers. If he can build on this foundation, he might eventually get back to passing for 300+ yards and no INT’s. Mac has the tools to be great, he needs to get his head straight.
I’ll definitely take the Mac we have now over the first three games. He is much closer to being an effective game manager and winner now than before.

As you said, once he gets his head straight and starts finding more outlet receivers or buying time in pocket, he’ll be much better. He can then start to focus on threading needles.

I personally think it’s his injury. I broke my arm playing hockey (bad) and never mentally recovered.

I’m not talking ptsd type of mental trauma but I just couldn’t ever go full steam into the boards again. I would still hit people, but until the day I finally stopped playing, every check I wondered if I’d be skating away with a ****ed up arm again.

I’m sure the mental aspect of it isn’t helped with Zappe on the sideline and knowing many fans would rather see him. I didn’t need to worry about my job like he does

I would also be interested in seeing him compete for the starting Left Tackle position next season... Right Tackle is out of the question however; dude's strictly a center/left-side player.

Last edited:
I would also be interested in see him compete for the starting Left Tackle position next season... Right Tackle is out of the question however; dude's strictly a center/left-side player.
Yes. I think with his athleticism, size and skillset...it's not so different then Matt Light.

Does that mean it's a really weak draft for OT? or just that there are very few who are PTP type players? Or both?
Decent class overall. Little drop off from recent past but very good class. About normal size for PTP spots.

Decent class overall. Little drop off from recent past but very good class. About normal size for PTP spots.
Probably a 2nd rounder for OT then ala Light and Vollmer?

Will be interesting to see who starts at LT this week. Wynn played his first snaps at LT before twisting his ankle, with Trent benched for who knows what. Maybe it's time to rip off the band-aid and swap Wynn to LT and Brown to RT.

Will be interesting to see who starts at LT this week. Wynn played his first snaps at LT before twisting his ankle, with Trent benched for who knows what. Maybe it's time to rip off the band-aid and swap Wynn to LT and Brown to RT.
Their best lineup is Brown, Strange, Andrews (Russey), Onwenu and Cajuste… at least from an athleticism standpoint.

They need better communication and execution. They also need Mac to check the ball down quicker and find his hot routes when there’s clear pressure.

First play of the Jets game he had Damien Harris in the flat and Hunter Henry right in front of him, five linemen trying to block 6 pass rushers. Mac has to know where his hot routes are and get it out. That sack is not on the linemen, it’s poor decision making by the QB.

Mac played his best game of 2022, he has incrementally improved over the last two games, he didn’t throw and INT for the first time this season… now two weeks. If a light switch goes off upstairs and he becomes the QB many of us suspect he would as a rookie, the Pats could surprise in the playoffs.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back