PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Pape, Overall they played pretty well. Not perfect, the weak link was Andrews. The costly penalties (Wynn) always hurt, but big improvement from the summer. Brown and Onwenu have been our best players, Strange has improved as well.
thanks for the overview... I think Strange is going to be good, real good... hes got some learning to do no doubt, but off to a great start... while not the same player - not making a player comparison, just a situation comparison, the reaction of the Strange pick always reminded me of the backlash the Pats got for taking Mankins, which turned out well for us...

and ugh those OL penalties are drive killers... hate them because 90% are avoidable...

interesting assessment... week 2 was better than week 1... haven't seen enough games of other teams yet to provide that type of context... maybe that's just me though... will have to watch more games...
They’ve played three of the tougher defensive fronts in the NFL to start 2022.

They rank 13th is rushing yards, tied for 3rd most rushing TD’s, are tied for the 4th fewest sacks allowed in the NFL. Look at the schedule going forward after Green Bay, they get to play some real cremepuffs.

Strange and Trent Brown have to work out their communication issues, that left side seems to give up a sack a game purely on miscommunication issues. Beyond that the line has played really well.

They’ve played three of the tougher defensive fronts in the NFL to start 2022.

They rank 13th is rushing yards, tied for 3rd most rushing TD’s, are tied for the 4th fewest sacks allowed in the NFL. Look at the schedule going forward after Green Bay, they get to play some real cremepuffs.

Strange and Trent Brown have to work out their communication issues, that left side seems to give up a sack a game purely on miscommunication issues. Beyond that the line has played really well.

thanks Wozzy

Wynn/Lose continues to be disengaged from the process;

Andrews has issues with getting push, yet the "brain trust" continues to call weak-ass, no-momentum draws right behind him;

And Strange69's Brave New World has him realizing that he ain't in Chattanooga (SIX years!) no more...

Otherwise we're in terrific shape.

Not disputing this, but how much is andrews and how much is the blocking scheme?

There has to be a weakest link, by definition. For that to be Andrews, who is at least an average NFL center all things considered, and with a surprise protege on the roster, is perfect.

There has to be a weakest link, by definition. For that to be Andrews, who is at least an average NFL center all things considered, and with a surprise protege on the roster, is perfect.

None of the OLmen are "bad"... But none of them are irreplaceable either.

The performance was bad against the Bears. Other than the obvious in Trent Brown having all those penalties, does anyone have an analysis of what the problem was?

And if Andrews is out multiple weeks, as seems likely, they better consider another player at center other than Ferentz.

Not disputing this, but how much is andrews and how much is the blocking scheme?
See player, block player, cowabunga! Trent Brown not ready to play last night. Marcus Cannon is not an answer for Isaih Wynn.

The performance was bad against the Bears. Other than the obvious in Trent Brown having all those penalties, does anyone have an analysis of what the problem was?
Trent Brown stole money last night... Cannon couldn't keep-up with speed... No push in the run game, and the play-calling there didn't help them either... But firstly, we have a serious Offensive Tackle problem, on Both ends of the line...

And if Andrews is out multiple weeks, as seems likely, they better consider another player at center other than Ferentz.

We all know that's never, Ever going to happen... Billy has his boy now, just where he's always wanted to have him...The chances were better that Michael Corleone would've allowed Kay to take the kids than they are of Billy allowing an Outsider to take Thanksdad's spot...

Trent Brown stole money last night... Cannon couldn't keep-up with speed... No push in the run game, and the play-calling there didn't help them either... But firstly, we have a serious Offensive Tackle problem, on Both ends of the line...

We all know that's never, Ever going to happen... Billy has his boy now, just where he's always wanted to have him...The chances were better that Michael Corleone would've allowed Kay to take the kids than they are of Billy allowing an Outsider to take Thanksdad's spot...
It does seem like both our tackles struggle with speed rushes, when the Pats can't get the ground game going it makes it hard to pass since they can't protect.

It seemed like going with a sixth offensive lineman in the game helped the run game and pass protection against Cleveland and Detroit. They didn't do that at all last night. They need to go back to it in the future, with Wynn out I guess they would bring in Hines at guard, push Onwenu to right tackle and play Cannon as at TE.

As long as this is the coaching staff we have, I don't know how the line gets any better.

We all know that's never, Ever going to happen... Billy has his boy now, just where he's always wanted to have him...
We’ll, I hope you’re wrong. Ferentz isn’t stout enough in either run or pass protection.

I wish I could find a video how he was driven back on his first play replacing Andrews.

It was the speed of Michael Haynes backpedaling against the Bills in 1981.

I think it time for a Texas center— Kody Russey—and not the Iowa kid, as highly as Belichick thinks of both him and his family.

Wishing for the best for Andrews. I seriously doubt he’ll be playing next week.

A new general manager could be refreshing. What do you think?
That’s not how any of this works. If you want a new GM, then you also have to find a new HC and likely the majority of the coaching staff.

That’s not how any of this works. If you want a new GM, then you also have to find a new HC and likely the majority of the coaching staff.
I know but why can’t Kraft find a happy medium with BB? Does it always have to be BB’s way or the highway? Things aren’t working. Need to switch it up. Kraft allows BB to get away with hiring his sons and failed coaches like Patricia to be his coordinators. Maybe he could step in when it comes to the draft. Bring in a young smart GM whom BB likes and can take some pressure off him

I know but why can’t Kraft find a happy medium with BB? Does it always have to be BB’s way or the highway? Things aren’t working. Need to switch it up. Kraft allows BB to get away with hiring his sons and failed coaches like Patricia to be his coordinators. Maybe he could step in when it comes to the draft. Bring in a young smart GM whom BB likes and can take some pressure off him
None of that matters when there’s a legal document that gives Belichick final say over all football operations. Kraft can’t unilaterally revise the contract, only terminate it in its entirety.

A new general manager could be refreshing. What do you think?

A new GM - especially on draft weekend - and, most importantly: Two New Starting Offensive Tackles for 2023, plus TWO MORE OTs as Real Depth.

Brown looks old getting older at times. His slide and explosion is still there but a lot more inconsistent. That's such a huge part of his game along with his length. He's able to eliminate so much outside while not exposing himself that much inside off a normal jump set or we.
Wynn on the other hand has been caught short stepping not bc of age or talent but neither tackle looks 1000% comfortable exploding without worry. You see it more on Wynn, a lot more but it's there on Brown too. Strange has got progressively better. Still a good starting G among all starters flashing some special traits. He reminds me so much of Joe playing at that weight, undersized and figuring a lot of pass pro out with bigger guys as he goes. Him and Brown look more comfortable communicating or handling games and he's reaching marks before defenders get there most times. Makimg contact easier on the move/pulling.

Onwenu has been our best OL'm. Keep him at G and you might have a legit top 5-10 G someday. Like he's been one of our best players regardless of position.

Andrews is good but we absolutely could upgrade there and probably should. Our IOL could be special.

Wynn and Brown have like 12 flags between them. Everyone else has 1 maybe Andrews 2 but I believe 1. I could be wrong.

So Mac has played like 22-23 games and has like 24-25 TO including fumbles. And our tackles are inconsistent and drawing killer flags. Yes a lot more Wynn but still the flags are killing us. We're not good enough to overcome those.

Anyway the two most important positions/units have underperformed in huge ways after expected jumps and seemingly some continuity on the OL.

Those two things have to change. Ask yourself how many games you're going to win when your QB TO and Tackles are drawing big flags every game.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back