PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 NEP Draft recap/thoughts

If Wade is supposed to be a slot corner, why was Bryant playing ahead of him.

I agree. I always wonder if the guy is not picking the system up, or BB just sits him. How can Wade be worse than M Bryant was? Hard to imagine.

Are some of these guys injured that badly? Wade, Bledsoe, McGrone, Keene, Perkins, Uche, Jennings, etc. Or are they going to bust? Why didn't they see the field?

Thanks, BGC. So here's a question.

Assuming that you were picking for the Patriots in exactly the slots that they actually picked (that's picks: 29,
This was a tough one lad. Ok I'm not looking at my grades. Going off the top of my head with those, just who's available and doing so through a Pats pov (for us!) Also looking at the board as is and how it played out - not necessarily going BPA bc I had someone graded higher. I think that's fair and no hindsight my grades have been posted before the draft.

RD1
Booth but Hill, Karliftis, Brisker, Cine are in real consideration. Give me Booth though unless the imaginary scouting director in my head convinces me otherwise. Booth is perfect for us. NFL ready with upside.
Toughest one by far. Travis Jones but that's tough knowing we wanted a WR. Idc though I he graded out in the 2nd for me. Tested top 2 in IDL athletic fits for us. We haven't had a true nose is how many years? Now we have an athletic one in the 2nd RD.
Jalen Tolbert or Leo Chenal. Totally forgot about him. Flip a coin here. He's graded higher so let's go him but Tolbert is right there in this spot 100%
Calvin Austin
Zach Tom
I want to keep Zappe here but Kyle Phillips would be an interesting one if we went with Chenal earlier. Ugh sorry to do this to you it's so tough.
Don't mind Harris at all but maybe take a shot at Zakelj
Tariq Castro Fields
Chasen Hines
245) whom would you have taken of the players available?
Marquis Hayes

So let's say ...
Booth - CB1
Travis Jones - Starting NT
Leo Chenal - HT replacement
Calvin Austin - Slot/Gadget
Zach Tom - lots of potential, love the value & versatility
Bailey Zappe - @DaBruinz will kill me but QB > WR although I really want to make Phillips the pick. Those two would be sneaky good adds to this group.
Nick Zakelj - same as Tom.
TCF - he's tough, aggressive and versatile
Chasen Hines - athletic, smart & tough.
Marquis Hayes - graded out pretty high for me.

That was tough and again I might have forgot a few people.

Great stuff, looking forward to the rest.

Regarding Cole Strange, I’ll say right away that I was shocked and disappointed Thursday night. By Friday morning though I was awakening to the realization that my reaction was based mostly on being influenced by the opinions of the media gasbags and such who clearly didn’t have anything close to accurate information about how BB and his team are sizing things up. This includes whomever it is that sets the ratings for the mock draft sims I had so much fun with the last couple of months.

Another thought that came to me later when I did a little comparing of Strange with Zion Johnson and Kenyon Green. Just based on their stats and specs, I don’t see why Strange was considered so inferior especially to Green. I have yet to see anyone criticize those picks which were several spots higher than Strange. Why are they perceived to be so much better than Strange? Is it only about the competition those guys faced at BC and TAMU versus Chattanooga? OK that’s in their favor I guess but how much?

I suspect that the reaction to the Strange pick, and then the Thornton pick, is a lot more about the “marketing” of those media “draft experts” than it is about a lot else. The Strange pick called into question how much insight they are really offering people who get as interested as I was about the draft. That’s bad for business for them for sure. Watching the draft on TV was “appointment viewing” for me for a long time, I used to take a day off from work for it, but have just followed it online the past 5 years after getting sick of the way it is presented on both BSPN and NFL Network.

Was Tyquan Thornton so much more of a reach at 50 than say Josh Paschal at 46? I saw more than one rating for Paschal that also slotted him in the later rounds but somehow nobody’s is squealing about that pick. Skyy Moore wasn’t a reach at 54 but Thornton was an incredible reach apparently even though he is 4 inches taller, 0.2 seconds faster in the 40, better vertical jump, better broad jump, didn’t post a poor 3-cone like Moore did and faced a lot better competition at Baylor than Moore did at Western Michigan.

To be fair, I do think that at a high level those folks do a decent job, but not when it comes to the Pats. They do seem to be pretty accurate about say the first 3 rounds so far as the percentage of guys they predicted would go there versus who actually went there. But when it comes to the Pats it seems so much less accurate. Just another reason for them to disdain BB, he doesn’t allow them to predict what he will do so they can’t crow about having some “insider” view of the Pats when it comes to the draft.
Good post. Bias is a hell of a thing. You nailed it though and I mentioned it above. Most weren't familiar with these guys and we know how that goes.

There's a fine line. I feel like I do a good job ignoring most of what's out there but also feel like I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff as well. Thankfully I'm usually busy so that helps but it's tough. You enjoy something so you seek out that space but you absolutely can get polluted with groupthink and bias. I still couldn't tell you who had who going where tbh in terms of media people. And still get nervous putting out my grades. Last year I had a 1st on Dillon Radunz. I usually have very few 1st RD grades compared to everyone.

Anyway yeah the draft analysis can be really rough at times. From both sides though. Big media and needs who think they know it all. It'll be interesting to see what the spaceport like in 5 - 10 years.

This was a tough one lad. Ok I'm not looking at my grades. Going off the top of my head with those, just who's available and doing so through a Pats pov (for us!) Also looking at the board as is and how it played out - not necessarily going BPA bc I had someone graded higher. I think that's fair and no hindsight my grades have been posted before the draft.

RD1
Booth but Hill, Karliftis, Brisker, Cine are in real consideration. Give me Booth though unless the imaginary scouting director in my head convinces me otherwise. Booth is perfect for us. NFL ready with upside.

Toughest one by far. Travis Jones but that's tough knowing we wanted a WR. Idc though I he graded out in the 2nd for me. Tested top 2 in IDL athletic fits for us. We haven't had a true nose is how many years? Now we have an athletic one in the 2nd RD.

Jalen Tolbert or Leo Chenal. Totally forgot about him. Flip a coin here. He's graded higher so let's go him but Tolbert is right there in this spot 100%

Calvin Austin

Zach Tom

I want to keep Zappe here but Kyle Phillips would be an interesting one if we went with Chenal earlier. Ugh sorry to do this to you it's so tough.

Tariq Castro Fields

Chasen Hines

Marquis Hayes

So let's say ...
Booth - CB1
Bailey Zappe - @DaBruinz will kill me but QB > WR although I really want to make Phillips the pick. Those two would be sneaky good adds to this group.

You're a star! Greetings from Her Majesty's Realm and many thanks.

RD1

Calvin Austin

Zach Tom

Tariq Castro Fields

Chasen Hines

Marquis Hayes

So let's say ...
Booth - CB1

Excellent!

I would have had Travis Jones where you did but Khalil Shakir at 127. (Also, I think, Hill in the first round and Marcus Jones where they took him.)

But I'm just a pin-sticker.

I agree. I always wonder if the guy is not picking the system up, or BB just sits him. How can Wade be worse than M Bryant was? Hard to imagine.

Are some of these guys injured that badly? Wade, Bledsoe, McGrone, Keene, Perkins, Uche, Jennings, etc. Or are they going to bust? Why didn't they see the field?
Bryant was on the team for multiple years. Wade was picked up late last year.

Bryant was on the team for multiple years. Wade was picked up late last year.

Yes Bryant had more time in the system but Wade was picked up before the season started. Bryant was the worst CB, even worse than Williams. Hard to believe Wade would have been that bad. Why didn't Wade play some?

Yes Bryant had more time in the system but Wade was picked up before the season started. Bryant was the worst CB, even worse than Williams. Hard to believe Wade would have been that bad. Why didn't Wade play some?
I'm pretty high on Wade for slot CB. That being said...yes he should have played more last season. Nagging injuries have held him back a bit I believe. He needs to flash in camp this season.

1651760375820.png

"Shaun Wade, a nickel corner, a slot corner, two years ago really excelled as one of the best corners in football," Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said. "[We’re] excited to get him. He’s played a lot of good football in a very good conference."

I'm pretty high on Wade for slot CB. That being said...yes he should have played more last season. Nagging injuries have held him back a bit I believe. He needs to flash in camp this season.

View attachment 42961

"Shaun Wade, a nickel corner, a slot corner, two years ago really excelled as one of the best corners in football," Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said. "[We’re] excited to get him. He’s played a lot of good football in a very good conference."

Agreed. But after training camp the Ravens were open to trading Wade, and after seeing Wade all year in 2021, the Patriots picked Marcus Jones in the 3rd round who is clearly a slot corner. Jon Jones kicks outside and Marcus Jones and Wade are the slot corners? Will Wade kick outside and we will let Jon Jones go after this year? It is a fluid situation, but I am not sure where Wade fits in. Luckily, if luck is involved, we have a bunch of options for slot and outside corner so we will see if all, or any, pan out.

the only way is up..
2023 is going to be fun (&busy)
#rebuildY2/3

Finally, another exec raised outside of Notgoat's circle of John Carol Slappies... I hope that for the next draft he & Eliot the Wolf can rein in the ****ing idiocy of Notgoat, Phatt Matt, Little Matt & Joey Judge.

Last edited:
If Wade is supposed to be a slot corner, why was Bryant playing ahead of him.

Because Wade might just not be an NFL-caliber Slot Corner (too big, and slow-looking) or Outside Corner either (never ran a shuttle or cone because maybe he knew they would be shyte); I still feel however that he's an NFL-caliber Free Safety and perhaps DMac's 2023 replacement.

Last edited:
Finally, another exec raised outside of Notgoat's circle of Slappies... I hope that for the next draft he & Eliot the Wolf can rein in the ****ing idiocy of Notgoat, Phatt Matt, Little Matt & Joey Judge.
Are you unaware that Jason Licht, the Tampa Bay GM, had two stints with Belichick as a scout and later as Director of Personnel? So no doubt Kinkela is already influenced by BB practices through Licht.

I'll send your regards to her personally when I'm there at the end of the month.
please...just don't cut a greasy long fart and make her court think you just shyt your drawers....that's the purview of OUR commander-in-crap pants...

Because Wade might just not be an NFL-caliber Slot Corner (too big, and slow-looking) or Outside Corner either (never ran a shuttle or cone because maybe he knew they would be shyte); I still feel however that he's an NFL-caliber Free Safety and perhaps DMac's 2023 replacement.
Did someone kidnap cap midpost and finished typing it for him?

RD1

Calvin Austin

Zach Tom

Tariq Castro Fields

Chasen Hines

Marquis Hayes

So let's say ...
Booth - CB1

My thoughts during the weekend:

Loved the trade-down; as soon as Davis & Penning were both gone, I wanted out of 21... I would've previously stayed for McDuffie but I knew that there would be good ones still available at 29 the way the previous 20 picks had gone...

29 should've been either Karlaftis or one of the DBs (Hill, Booth, Gordon), Plain & Simple; and I think I would've hoped aboard the Dax Hill Express, because he very likely would've played more snaps and sooner while the others learned on the sidelines to start the season...

HATED the trade-up; Too Much for Not Enough... I was really, Really hoping it would be Travis Jones but if not then Skyy Moore... Another case where Need matched Talent... But it was neither so 158 was a Complete ****ing Throw-Away.

Before Friday, would anyone else in the Entire Human ****ing Race have chosen TyQuan Thornton ahead of Skyy Moore... or Alec Pierce... or Jalen Tolbert... or even Romeo Doubs?

85 should've been 3/3 on Defense: DE Cam Thomas, whom I would've very strongly considered at 54 (along with OLman Bernhard SeaBass Jr Raimann but NOT Strange69) if Travis Jones weren't available there...Tolbert or OLman Sean Ryan would've been my pick here if Thomas were unavailable; but the drop-off from him to the next group was too precipitous, and besides I already passed-over Karlaftis so I didn't want to risk losing the last of the really good DE prospects... Judon needs help too after all.

Liked the trade-down; we need more picks for next year, and we should still find somebody at 137 close to whom we would've considered at 94 anyway...

But I ****ING HATED EVERY SINGLE ****ING PICK OF THAT ENTIRE FOURTH ****ING ROUND. That made the 3rd round of 2020 look like the 1st round of 1973 by comparison...

After going all defense the first two days, I'm starting Day 3 with two picks for the offense: OLman Zachary Tom & WR Romeo Doubs, the best players available at their respective positions... Except for being a dozen lbs lighter, Tom has very similar physical & athletic traits to Strange69; and while not being as straight-line fast as BoneyT, my Romeo is a Much more polished & versatile receiver.

At 137, I'm taking the best DB available because our secondary ****ing sucks and all my other needs have been filled at least once: Zion McCollum, another physical & athletic specimen like Hill but with Outside CB experience, albeit at a lower level - but that doesn't matter to Bill, amirite? The Jones Boys can **** off.

At 158 because I'm not a ****ing idiot like Notgoat, all you RB-lovers can have one here as the Bonus Plan... But I choose Ty Chandler, a legit 3rd-down weapon.

As per one of my goals pre-draft, I'm going to continue double-dipping at positions of need, this time for the OL at 183, a different body type than Tom but also with college LT experience: Jamaree Salyer, whose fall had more to do with injury/weight concerns than it had to do with performance concerns; and at 183 I'm much less concerned than I would've been at 121.

More double-dipping at 200 & 210...First, the best DE still available: Isaiah Thomas, Beast... Then, the best WR still available: Bo Melton, Speed AND Quickness... unlike BoneyT.

And finally, to complete the masterpiece at 245 I present to you DB #3 (I've already double-dipped at OL, WR & DE), from the University of Bill Belichick Junior itself: Josh Jobe, already well-versed in the way our secondary works up here too... He'll need to completely recover from the foot injury that prevented him from working-out before the draft, but as soon as that happens he should be able to become a future #4, similar to JMac during the Gilmore-JCJ-JJones days.

My thoughts during the weekend:

Loved the trade-down; as soon as Davis & Penning were both gone, I wanted out of 21... I would've previously stayed for McDuffie but I knew that there would be good ones still available at 29 the way the previous 20 picks had gone...

29 should've been either Karlaftis or one of the DBs (Hill, Booth, Gordon), Plain & Simple; and I think I would've hoped aboard the Dax Hill Express, because he very likely would've played more snaps and sooner while the others learned on the sidelines to start the season...

HATED the trade-up; Too Much for Not Enough... I was really, Really hoping it would be Travis Jones but if not then Skyy Moore... Another case where Need matched Talent... But it was neither so 158 was a Complete ****ing Throw-Away.

Before Friday, would anyone else in the Entire Human ****ing Race have chosen TyQuan Thornton ahead of Skyy Moore... or Alec Pierce... or Jalen Tolbert... or even Romeo Doubs?

85 should've been 3/3 on Defense: DE Cam Thomas, whom I would've very strongly considered at 54 (along with OLman Bernhard SeaBass Jr Raimann but NOT Strange69) if Travis Jones weren't available there...Tolbert or OLman Sean Ryan would've been my pick here if Thomas were unavailable; but the drop-off from him to the next group was too precipitous, and besides I already passed-over Karlaftis so I didn't want to risk losing the last of the really good DE prospects... Judon needs help too after all.

Liked the trade-down; we need more picks for next year, and we should still find somebody at 137 close to whom we would've considered at 94 anyway...

But I ****ING HATED EVERY SINGLE ****ING PICK OF THAT ENTIRE FOURTH ****ING ROUND. That made the 3rd round of 2020 look like the 1st round of 1973 by comparison...

After going all defense the first two days, I'm starting Day 3 with two picks for the offense: OLman Zachary Tom & WR Romeo Doubs, the best players available at their respective positions... Except for being a dozen lbs lighter, Tom has very similar physical & athletic traits to Strange69; and while not being as straight-line fast as BoneyT, my Romeo is a Much more polished & versatile receiver.

At 137, I'm taking the best DB available because our secondary ****ing sucks and all my other needs have been filled at least once: Zion McCollum, another physical & athletic specimen like Hill but with Outside CB experience, albeit at a lower level - but that doesn't matter to Bill, amirite? The Jones Boys can **** off.

At 158 because I'm not a ****ing idiot like Notgoat, all you RB-lovers can have one here as the Bonus Plan... But I choose Ty Chandler, a legit 3rd-down weapon.

As per one of my goals pre-draft, I'm going to continue double-dipping at positions of need, this time for the OL at 183, a different body type than Tom but also with college LT experience: Jamaree Salyer, whose fall had more to do with injury/weight concerns than it had to do with performance concerns; and at 183 I'm much less concerned than I would've been at 121.

More double-dipping at 200 & 210...First, the best DE still available: Isaiah Thomas, Beast... Then, the best WR still available: Bo Melton, Speed AND Quickness... unlike BoneyT.

And finally, to complete the masterpiece at 245 I present to you DB #3 (I've already double-dipped at OL, WR & DE), from the University of Bill Belichick Junior itself: Josh Jobe, already well-versed in the way our secondary works up here too... He'll need to completely recover from the foot injury that prevented him from working-out before the draft, but as soon as that happens he should be able to become a future #4, similar to JMac during the Gilmore-JCJ-JJones days.
“My thoughts during the weekend”:

I stopped reading here, bc I’m sure what follows is a dirty diaper filled with ill-informed, biased negativity.

It was really nice when you weren’t posting. Try that again.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back