PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Mock Drafts

CBS have Kyle Hamilton dropping to Pats in their latest mock. They reckon a lot of teams are balking at an early pick on a safety with a mediocre 40 time.

Can't see it happening, but if he does drop he should be announced as a Patriot with 9:59 left on the clock

CBS have Kyle Hamilton dropping to Pats in their latest mock. They reckon a lot of teams are balking at an early pick on a safety with a mediocre 40 time.

Can't see it happening, but if he does drop he should be announced as a Patriot with 9:59 left on the clock

I had Hamilton ranked as the number 2 player in this draft behind ot neal of alabama prior to the combine.

But then I saw him run and dropped him from my top 50.

I had Hamilton ranked as the number 2 player in this draft behind ot neal of alabama prior to the combine.

But then I saw him run and dropped him from my top 50.
His play speed is different. Many guys still have him going top 5.

Jordan Davis
    DT Georgia

Leo Chenal
    LB Wisconsin

Zyon McCollum
    CB Sam Houston State

Khalil Shakir
    WR Boise State

Rasheed Walker
    OT Penn State

Marcus Jones
    CB Houston

Cordell Volson
    OT North Dakota State

D'Vonte Price
    RB Florida International

His play speed is different. Many guys still have him going top 5.

And I have no problem with another team taking him in the top 5.

The nfl is becoming a speed game. I am all for other teams taking as many 4.59 defensive backs in the first round as they want!

Hopefully that other team is in the afc East!

Johnson and Elam would give us two day 1 starters at crucial positions, 3 down value so the trade up had to be imo.
We currently don't have this press man corner imo and badly need one so Elam makes a lot of sense. Great size and speed as well. SEC competition.
Tom for the LG competition and McCall for the NT hopefully provide us one starter.
If you get 2 three down starters at crucial positions and a possible LG/NT then you had a good draft imo

1649577159390.png

New Mock Draft. Decided to go try out the simulator on The Draft Network to get a new look.

Round 1 - Traded back with the Bucs to 27, picked up an additional 3rd (91) and 4th (133) while giving up 6th (210)
Pick at 27 was Zion Johnson (Boston College OL) - Seems like there's some smoke here, huh? He talked about loving the area and the Pats staff knowing him well at his Pro Day. Gives us a guy with plus leadership ability to develop along the offensive line.

Round 2
54 - John Metchie (Bama WR)
"You want to hear Nick Saban really gush about a receiver? Just ask him about John Metchie. He calls him the epitome of what a wide receiver is. That's pretty high praise coming from him."
Relationship with Mac is already there. This makes too much sense.

Round 3
85 - Travis Jones (UConn DL)
Big 1 Technique that comes from the Northeast with high praise as a player and a leader? Sign us up. Loved the film he put together in that Clemson game against top competition and he was dominant against the lower end teams he played.

91 - Troy Andersen (Montana State LB)
Football. Player. Period. The do it all guy for Montana State that tested great and comes with high praise as a leader would be a welcome fit to that linebacker room.

Round 4

127 - Coby Bryant (Cinci CB)
Nothing really fell to me earlier in the draft here at CB. Booth and Elam were gone at 21. Gordon and Mcreary gone at 54. So I waited and I think Bryant would be a good prospect in the mid rounds. Didn't run as well as you'd hope, but has a strong pedigree out of college.

133 - Lecitus Smith (Va Tech OL)
Another developmental player here. Needs some coaching that hopefully the Pats staff can provide.

Round 5

158 - Bo Melton (Rutgers WR)
A program Bill is obviously familiar with and a guy that ran a 4.34 at the combine provides a floor as a core special teamer. The ceiling as a WR is something I am interested in as well. Played with horrible quarterback play for most of his career but still flashes on tape.

170 - Jack Jones (Arizona State CB)
Ball production and athleticism on tape fit the mold of what they usually look for in CB's.

Round 6

200 - Isaiah Pola-Mao (USC S)
Special Teams value at the floor level. Has shown flashes at safety. Developmental player.

New Mock Draft. Decided to go try out the simulator on The Draft Network to get a new look.

Round 1 - Traded back with the Bucs to 27, picked up an additional 3rd (91) and 4th (133) while giving up 6th (210)
Pick at 27 was Zion Johnson (Boston College OL) - Seems like there's some smoke here, huh? He talked about loving the area and the Pats staff knowing him well at his Pro Day. Gives us a guy with plus leadership ability to develop along the offensive line..
Not thrilled with a guard in the 1st. And that trade is a bit off (should just be 21 for 27 + 91).

Other than the order of picks, though, a lot to like.

Not thrilled with a guard in the 1st. And that trade is a bit off (should just be 21 for 27 + 91).

Other than the order of picks, though, a lot to like.

Given the players in this draft, what positions would you like to see in the first round?

Round 2
54 - John Metchie (Bama WR)
"You want to hear Nick Saban really gush about a receiver? Just ask him about John Metchie. He calls him the epitome of what a wide receiver is. That's pretty high praise coming from him."
Relationship with Mac is already there. This makes too much sense.

Round 5

158 - Bo Melton (Rutgers WR)
A program Bill is obviously familiar with and a guy that ran a 4.34 at the combine provides a floor as a core special teamer. The ceiling as a WR is something I am interested in as well. Played with horrible quarterback play for most of his career but still flashes on tape.
I would swap these two and take Bo Melton in Round 2 (or 3) and Metchie in Round 5 (or six or seven). Bo seems so much better, at least to my untrained eye; he is quicker and gets better separation. I was not impressed with Metchie, but, of course, he was playing against SEC CBs.

Given the players in this draft, what positions would you like to see in the first round?
Almost any other reasonable position. WR. DB. LB. DT. Even OT or DE.

It's simply that it seems like a waste to use that pick on a position they have routinely filled with picks from round 3 or later.

When I look at the current LB corps, I really am kind of happy with what we have coming back. McMillan, Wilson, McGrone gives us more speed at the ILB position that I've ever seen here. I'm really hoping Bentley is a TC cut or trade. So I'm no longer looking for LB help before the 3rd round and the Montana ST kid would look good here but not before the 3rd or 4th round

With Judon, Jennings, Uche and Perkins as our current edge rushers I'm OK with passing on one of them early as well. I watched some of Jennings college film and he excelled as an edge guy and looked very quick, but I don't see him as an all round OLB, but JUST and edge rusher. If we limit him to that job (and it's a big one) we just could see him become a productive member of the defense. Perkins on the other hand has potential as a true OLB/Edge.

So as I look at this draft I see 2 needs on defense CB and DT/N at the top of the draft. BOTH are must haves. I'm guessing that unless one of the top CB's or Davis miraculously drops to us at 21 we will need to trade down to insure we have enough ammo to get a top 5-6 CB and also wind up with Travis Jones. I'll be thrilled to the point I won't care about what happens after.

BTW- I don't get the Skyy Moore love. I'm not wanting ANY undersized slot guy who can't run a 3-cone faster than our QB

When I look at the current LB corps, I really am kind of happy with what we have coming back. McMillan, Wilson, McGrone gives us more speed at the ILB position that I've ever seen here. I'm really hoping Bentley is a TC cut or trade. So I'm no longer looking for LB help before the 3rd round and the Montana ST kid would look good here but not before the 3rd or 4th round

With Judon, Jennings, Uche and Perkins as our current edge rushers I'm OK with passing on one of them early as well. I watched some of Jennings college film and he excelled as an edge guy and looked very quick, but I don't see him as an all round OLB, but JUST and edge rusher. If we limit him to that job (and it's a big one) we just could see him become a productive member of the defense. Perkins on the other hand has potential as a true OLB/Edge.
Didn't they send Winovich to the doghouse and eventually the Dawg Pound because he was "just an edge rusher"?

Didn't they send Winovich to the doghouse and eventually the Dawg Pound because he was "just an edge rusher"?
and maybe they'll send Jennings that way too, but that doesn't mean a specific but limited role wouldn't be important. Again remember, in 2023 the Pats cap space will grow exponentially so holes could be filled in FA as well

I think these guys would all be day 1 contributors and are all reachable without trades.

21. T. Jones nt
slide Godchoux to de
54. Nick Cross fs 4.3 speed. McCourty is 35
85. James Cook rb/wr. White backup/eventual replacement
127. Kyle Phillips slot fills immediate need. good fit with Bourne & Parker
158. Damarri Mathis cb press man 4.3 speed 32 1/2" arms
170. Tariq Castro-Fields cb press man 4.3 speed 35" arms

Is it draft day yet ? LFG!

Last edited:
I think these guys would all be day 1 contributors and are all reachable without trades.

21. T. Jones nt
slide Godchoux to de
54. Nick Cross fs 4.3 speed. McCourty is 35
85. James Cook rb/wr. White backup/eventual replacement
127. Kyle Phillips slot fills immediate need. good fit with Bourne & Parker
158. Damarri Mathis cb press man 4.3 speed 32 1/2" arms
170. Tariq Castro-Fields cb press man 4.3 speed 35" arms

Is it draft day yet ? LFG!
i would be very happy with this draft class

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’