PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 WR Free Agents: who’s a Patriot?

depending on what we do at 15 I think we will need two bodies here. Love the idea of Samuel or Davis. we should be able to nab one of them if they make it to day 1.
And if TB allows Godwin to make it to day 1 of free agency I'm going to turn his head and make it very expensive for them to keep him.
Depending on what Edelman decides and if we pick receiver in days 1 and 2 of the draft we should be looking at 15-20 million dollars on new receivers next season.
We need at least two new bodies in there.

Last edited:
There estimating Agholar gets a contract close to 10 million a season
If true, that would be a miscalculation by whatever front office is stuck to that $ figure...

Also, franchises that are run w/o considering the cap might find themselves in a bind next season. I’d be curious to see what other names will become available this Spring.

Golladay and And Samuel give this offense a major lift throw in Zach or Trey or Mac, or Marcus, Or Jimmy or Taylor and we are making big steps in the right direction.
I’d like to keep Byrd as well as add those 2.

Carolina had no idea what to do with until recently but still isn't utilizing him to the max. He was a really good deep threat last year I believe but just had nothing for QB's. Underrated r/r. I had a 2nd on him.
And yea he lined up everywhere at OSU - HB (300+), QB, Slot (600+), Wide (50), TE. He won't have to wait long for a contract. I have a feeling a lot of GM's and coaches want him.
Wow, didn't know about his positional versatility, probably makes Bill drool.

Wow, didn't know about his positional versatility, probably makes Bill drool.
Oh yea and he never got a real chance in Carolina between usage and QB situations. Or a real long chance maybe is a better way to put it. He could be a 75-80+ rec 1200+ total yards in the right offense.

Oh yea and he never got a real chance in Carolina between usage and QB situations. Or a real long chance maybe is a better way to put it. He could be a 75-80+ rec 1200+ total yards in the right offense.
Reality is we aren’t luring any WRs of any quality without telling them we have the QB situation out of control.
I just saw the Chiefs just signed Antonio Callway
That’s a combination of Mahommes and the fact Reid has never been scared off by troubled players.

unless/until the QB situation is settled, signing a WR, especially a high priced veteran would seem stupid.

If the Pats bring in a veteran QB, then they are looking to win now, if they go with Stidham, they are tanking/rebuilding and signing a high priced WR would not make sense. The Pats basically wasted last year, going into the year they didn't know who their QB would be, and if Stidham is any good. Now a year later, they still have no idea who their QB is going to be and if Stidham is any good. Except now, all the veterans who have carried this team are now a year older.

The Pats don't have a single player under 25 that you would be excited about his future. The roster has been depleted by years of bad drafts.

The only position I would say they are OK with for younger talent is RB. The O line should be OK, Shaq Mason and Tuney were both excellent picks, but Tuney is gone. So they are, at the moment, without Andrews and Tuney. I think that Cannon's career is over. Heron might be OK. They either need to find a new LG or a new LT and kick Wynn down to Guard (that is if he doesn't end up on IR with a hangnail).

So no QB, the O line in flux, why would any good veteran WR sign here?

Robinson and/or Jones Jr.
Most of these guys are going to cost WR1 type money. So, not sure we get near any of them.
But, I've seen Jones Jr. for a while - the guy is super clutch. He's already 30, but probably willing to go somewhere to win cheaper than his teammate Golladay.
I think Robinson would fit really well in our system though. Only 27. Bigger, old-school "possession" receiver type that we don't have. He'd be a better version of what LaFell, Hogan, Mitchell were supposed to be.

Hilton seems like a nice cross section between being pretty good but not mega-contract good. I wonder what AJ Green will cost. Fuller might be the sleeper.
TY Hilton seems like the kind of guy they would get. Middle of the road FA, decent production. Just need someone to chuck him the rock.

Reality is we aren’t luring any WRs of any quality without telling them we have the QB situation out of control.
I just saw the Chiefs just signed Antonio Callway
That’s a combination of Mahommes and the fact Reid has never been scared off by troubled players.
I disagree Chris. Things are never as bad as they seem. The NFL is a 2-3 year league, players know that. Plus we have a ton of money which is the most important thing in FA. We'll be fine but it could get a little worse before we get better in 2021.

Hang in there football is still being played. We have a long way to go before teams start shedding contracts/players, FA and the draft. We'll have plenty of opportunities to turn this around. I'm giving Bill until the end of next year before I'm really worried.

I disagree Chris. Things are never as bad as they seem. The NFL is a 2-3 year league, players know that. Plus we have a ton of money which is the most important thing in FA. We'll be fine but it could get a little worse before we get better in 2021.

Hang in there football is still being played. We have a long way to go before teams start shedding contracts/players, FA and the draft. We'll have plenty of opportunities to turn this around. I'm giving Bill until the end of next year before I'm really worried.
I’m not necessarily worried I’m just looking at if I’m Kenny Golladay and money is equal and the Patriots are like well we have a few guys and the best one will play QB and then you are the Ravens with Lamar or the Bengals with Burrow.
Where would you sign?

The Pats don't have a single player under 25 that you would be excited about his future. The roster has been depleted by years of bad drafts.

That's kind of a hot take there... "Under 25" is kind of specific but based on that, the below players are younger than 25 and give me plenty of reason to be positive about their futures:

- Damien Harris
- Jakobi Meyers
- Mike Onwenu
- Gunner Olszewski

Other guys with potential too but these 4 jump out most.

That sorta goes both ways though. Why would a WR sign with NE if there's no good QB? How can a signed/drafted QB be successful in NE without any weapons?

I would focus on Robinson and Godwin as the top tier options who would come with an equivalent price tag i.e. $18m+ a year. Fuller, Davis and Samuel would be very good pieces who would improve the offense but come with possible questions (injuries, consistent production) so would be in the $12-16m range. Then Hilton, Jones, Agholor would be mid range options that would be thrown into the mix but would come cheaper given age etc.

My preference would be to look at Godwin first, and I'd happily settle for Fuller, Davis or Samuel, especially if we can also get Henry. I wouldn't sniff at Marvin Jones too.

I've ruled out JuJu as I think he replicates Meyers skillset too much, operating largely from the slot on short and intermediate routes. I've ruled out Golladay as while better than Harry, he also comes with the same separation concerns. He's a jump ball guy and not what we need. I've ruled out Green as we need a guy in his prime not someone who is looking for one last payday. And I've ruled out AB for obvious reasons.

Allen Robinson signed with the Bears in 2018 after Trubisky threw 7 touchdowns in 12 games the prior season. All about the money.

I’m not necessarily worried I’m just looking at if I’m Kenny Golladay and money is equal and the Patriots are like well we have a few guys and the best one will play QB and then you are the Ravens with Lamar or the Bengals with Burrow.
Where would you sign?
Honestly it depends. Not every vet will want to play with a young guy even if it is Burrow and that's still Cinci. Not exactly a sought after destination. Plus there's things like family, depth chart (who's ahead of them-how many other mouths are there to feed), coaching/player fit. And again we have a ton of money. Bill is getting his QB it just might not be this year. A lot of players want structure, a vision, a plan, plus money but everyone knows Bill isn't laying down his last few years. He's going out fighting and probably wants to win more than ever. The good thing about Brady still being a top 5-10 QB, helping his team to the playoffs is there's no better motivation.

I'm worried we may not be able to "afford" any of these guys. basically, Belichick may not want to pay any of them and may go bargain hunting.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back