PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 WR Free Agents: who’s a Patriot?

They may be able to sign both Davis and Samuel for probable asking prices of Robinson, Godwin or Golladay, or fairly close to it. I’d prefer that option.

Davis
Samuel
Meyers
Harry
Rookie WR

That would play.

That's kind of a hot take there... "Under 25" is kind of specific but based on that, the below players are younger than 25 and give me plenty of reason to be positive about their futures:

- Damien Harris
- Jakobi Meyers
- Mike Onwenu
- Gunner Olszewski

Other guys with potential too but these 4 jump out most.

None of those guys are now or will ever be a difference maker, they are servicable right now (as opposed to say Harry) but none of them are bound for superstardom, none of them are Hightower, Chandler Jones, Tuney, etc.

Honestly it depends. Not every vet will want to play with a young guy even if it is Burrow and that's still Cinci. Not exactly a sought after destination. Plus there's things like family, depth chart (who's ahead of them-how many other mouths are there to feed), coaching/player fit. And again we have a ton of money. Bill is getting his QB it just might not be this year. A lot of players want structure, a vision, a plan, plus money but everyone knows Bill isn't laying down his last few years. He's going out fighting and probably wants to win more than ever. The good thing about Brady still being a top 5-10 QB, helping his team to the playoffs is there's no better motivation.

I agree with this. There are basically five major reasons why a free agent chooses a particular team:

1) Money - Probably the biggest, or at least the most common factor

2) Chance to win - While the Patriots aren't THE place for that anymore, I imagine there's still some residual draw to them because of their extended success. Not every player is going to think it was all Tom Brady.

3) Scheme fit/role - How many opportunities are they going to get to play? I would say the Patriots are attractive to WR's in this fashion, as it shouldn't be hard to earn snaps for a talented player. The caveat being the QB uncertainty could give them pause until there's a firmer plan there.

4) Family/location - This is entirely subjective and hard to predict player to player.

5) Team reputation - This one may be lower on the list, but it's definitely a factor. While BB has a reputation for playing hardball when it comes time to renew, his general reputation is very positive with almost all of his former players. And this year he seems to have embraced the difficult discussions that have been occurring in the locker room, as well as gotten praise from his players for putting their health and safety ahead of any football concerns. Again, it's not going to make a player take $5 million less while catching balls from Jarrett Stidham, but I would say overall this is a positive for the Pats.

Reality is we aren’t luring any WRs of any quality without telling them we have the QB situation out of control.
I just saw the Chiefs just signed Antonio Callway
That’s a combination of Mahommes and the fact Reid has never been scared off by troubled players.
How many times did the Pats lose out on a top receiver over a little bit of money when they were the team to beat? Often.

Some players probably don't want to play for BB. Most probably would love to play for BB. And I doubt people around the county are as down ont he chances of the Pats to rebound as are the Patriots doom&gloom squad of pure football entitlement.

One thing a top-tier receiver knows if he comes here: he'll be a focus in the offense. That's not true on many of the top teams right now because they already have top-tier receivers.

It's about the $$$$ most of all. Many teams are in the process of shedding $$$$.

I agree with this. There are basically five major reasons why a free agent chooses a particular team:

1) Money - Probably the biggest, or at least the most common factor

2) Chance to win - While the Patriots aren't THE place for that anymore, I imagine there's still some residual draw to them because of their extended success. Not every player is going to think it was all Tom Brady.

3) Scheme fit/role - How many opportunities are they going to get to play? I would say the Patriots are attractive to WR's in this fashion, as it shouldn't be hard to earn snaps for a talented player. The caveat being the QB uncertainty could give them pause until there's a firmer plan there.

4) Family/location - This is entirely subjective and hard to predict player to player.

5) Team reputation - This one may be lower on the list, but it's definitely a factor. While BB has a reputation for playing hardball when it comes time to renew, his general reputation is very positive with almost all of his former players. And this year he seems to have embraced the difficult discussions that have been occurring in the locker room, as well as gotten praise from his players for putting their health and safety ahead of any football concerns. Again, it's not going to make a player take $5 million less while catching balls from Jarrett Stidham, but I would say overall this is a positive for the Pats.

I would add state taxes and quality of life...

Anyone signing in Florida, Tennesse, Nevada, Texas, and suprisingly Washington, saves 8 games worth of state taxes, when you are making over 10 million a year, that is a ton of money. Plus all your investments and other income (endorsements) pay no state tax. Plus living in a warm state as opposed to a frost bitten one, especially when you consider when the football season is played.

I would add state taxes and quality of life...

Anyone signing in Florida, Tennesse, Nevada, Texas, and suprisingly Washington, saves 8 games worth of state taxes, when you are making over 10 million a year, that is a ton of money. Plus all your investments and other income (endorsements) pay no state tax. Plus living in a warm state as opposed to a frost bitten one, especially when you consider when the football season is played.

Oh definitely, but I kind of lumped that into Location/Family in my mind. Basically, any personal choice that doesn't relate directly to football. But I guess what you're saying would be a combination of that and money, so it's a factor for sure.

Starting with in house first...
Edelman, Meyers, Byrd, Gunner. Seem like assumed carry overs. The unknown is if JE retires, or Byrd gets cut loose.

Harry, Moncrief, Lee - carry overs for camp tryouts?

Zuber, Wilkerson - PS options to step up?

Big FA signing for #1, or #2 type platoon player or two. (Robinson, Jones Jr.)

I think you want one big target and one burner. I like Robinson the best of that group... Godwin#2. I dont think TB is going to be able to pony up big $$ for him. Their O-Line and Defense stink.

Realistically, I think Pats spend big on Hunter Henry and pick from the "tier 2" receivers. Just dont see BB spending huge money at WR position. Not that I think that is right, just what I think is most likely. Just my hunch from following team for a long time.

If I remember correctly, even the last time we made a "big splash" on offense we didnt spend big bugs at WR: Welker (trade), Moss (trade), and Stallworth... we didn't exactly go out and send top-of-market money to anyone. I think we ended up giving out a 2nd (Welker) and 4th (Moss) - but that is pennies for a historically prolific offense.

unless/until the QB situation is settled, signing a WR, especially a high priced veteran would seem stupid.

If the Pats bring in a veteran QB, then they are looking to win now, if they go with Stidham, they are tanking/rebuilding and signing a high priced WR would not make sense. The Pats basically wasted last year, going into the year they didn't know who their QB would be, and if Stidham is any good. Now a year later, they still have no idea who their QB is going to be and if Stidham is any good. Except now, all the veterans who have carried this team are now a year older.

The Pats don't have a single player under 25 that you would be excited about his future. The roster has been depleted by years of bad drafts.

The only position I would say they are OK with for younger talent is RB. The O line should be OK, Shaq Mason and Tuney were both excellent picks, but Tuney is gone. So they are, at the moment, without Andrews and Tuney. I think that Cannon's career is over. Heron might be OK. They either need to find a new LG or a new LT and kick Wynn down to Guard (that is if he doesn't end up on IR with a hangnail).

So no QB, the O line in flux, why would any good veteran WR sign here?
Bingo.

Bill MUST find a good vet QB at the Very Beginning of free agency in order to attract good vet WRs here later in free agency, Not the other way around...Then he MUST draft a QB in the first round in order to attract more good vet WRs who might become cap casualties.

That's kind of a hot take there... "Under 25" is kind of specific but based on that, the below players are younger than 25 and give me plenty of reason to be positive about their futures:

- Damien Harris
- Jakobi Meyers
- Mike Onwenu
- Gunner Olszewski

Other guys with potential too but these 4 jump out most.
A grand total of...4 names. Terrific.

And Gunner hasn't shown a Damn Thing as a WR...except with Stid.

That sorta goes both ways though. Why would a WR sign with NE if there's no good QB? How can a signed/drafted QB be successful in NE without any weapons?
QB comes first, then WRs will follow.

Starting with in house first...
Edelman, Meyers, Byrd, Gunner. Seem like assumed carry overs. The unknown is if JE retires, or Byrd gets cut loose.

Harry, Moncrief, Lee - carry overs for camp tryouts?

Zuber, Wilkerson - PS options to step up?

Big FA signing for #1, or #2 type platoon player or two. (Robinson, Jones Jr.)
Byrd is a UFA, but he's merely a #4 on a Real Contender anyway.

We need Both a #1 And a #2.

As long as Brady is in Tampa they are in win now mode. They are not letting Godwin walk. Besides, what WR is going to want to come here to a 7-9 team with a rookie QB (or whatever mediocre vet we sign) with no other options to draw away double team? Unless they are getting top dollar.
Bill's typical MO is wait for all the elite, top dollar WRs come off the board, then sift through whatever cheap vets are still left.
We can hope for a stud FA WR all we want, but very little chance of it happening. I don't see how Bill's method of team building can work on offense without Brady. But I don't anticipate him changing it anytime soon.
We will see. If nothing else, it should be an interesting offseason

Curtis Samuel and Jones Jr + Investing a 1st.
I like the two vets, but not sure if Bill goes WR in round 1...If he doesn't draft a QB there, then he'll likely go defense (DE Rousseau, DT Barmore) or maybe the Penn State TE Freiermuth...

Byrd is a UFA, but he's merely a #4 on a Real Contender anyway.

We need Both a #1 And a #2.
Byrd is like this year's Dorsett. Solid player, but easily replaceable. He knows the playbook, so for the right money he will be back. But if some team wants to overpay him or he just wants to leave, it wont be much of a loss.

I think you want one big target and one burner. I like Robinson the best of that group... Godwin#2. I dont think TB is going to be able to pony up big $$ for him. Their O-Line and Defense stink.

Realistically, I think Pats spend big on Hunter Henry and pick from the "tier 2" receivers. Just dont see BB spending huge money at WR position. Not that I think that is right, just what I think is most likely. Just my hunch from following team for a long time.

If I remember correctly, even the last time we made a "big splash" on offense we didnt spend big bugs at WR: Welker (trade), Moss (trade), and Stallworth... we didn't exactly go out and send top-of-market money to anyone. I think we ended up giving out a 2nd (Welker) and 4th (Moss) - but that is pennies for a historically prolific offense.

The Pats paid AB $15M. That was the last time we made a "big splash". $15M for a disgruntled guy.

The Pats paid AB $15M. That was the last time we made a "big splash". $15M for a disgruntled guy.
I forgot they paid him that much. But Bill has even admitted (or used it as an excuse, depending on how you look at it) being aggressive recently on offense in order to surround Brady with weapons. Harry, Sony and Sanu, for example. AB was surely part of that. So not sure it applies to our current situation.

This offseason will be interesting because it will give us a glimpse into Bill's strategy going forward. Something, that, for the time being, is a mystery.

None of those guys are now or will ever be a difference maker, they are servicable right now (as opposed to say Harry) but none of them are bound for superstardom, none of them are Hightower, Chandler Jones, Tuney, etc.
Well that’s not what you said that I was responding to, but okay. I didn’t interpret “excited about their future” to mean “bound for superstardom.”

Worth pointing out. Will Bill pay one of these guys $15m per year? None are quite as talented as AB was but none have as many issues either.

Worth pointing out. Will Bill pay one of these guys $15m per year? None are quite as talented as AB was but none have as many issues either.
Also you can ask who is more important, Thuney or Samuel/Davis? The price is the same.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back