PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 UDFA Signings Thread

Multiple reasons....

1) They have 84 players already
2) They still have a lot of cap space and don't need to scrimp. They can spend a little extra on young vets.
3) Limited evaluation b/c of COVID
4) Limited pool of players

I really don't think it's a shift in philosophy. Kraft himself says the draft is very important and i'm assuming he also thinks UFA is.

Just one of those years....
84 players is really meaningless when some of these guys were brought on late, and you can always cut them.
UDFAs have very little impact on the cap. We're talking signing bonuses of $10k-25k. Limited evaluation I get, but you can still tryto sign a few to see what they have. At most, it's a $200k outlay. Not going to kill you.

Remember hearing something last week about how due to the pandemic that after the third round those guys were pretty much under analyzed and in the last 4 rounds they were comparable to UDFA's.. so that could possibly be a reason.. then there are the 84 guys they have or will have under contract.

For this pool of FA's there is not a lot of work to analyze, coupled with a large group who did not come out this year as well. IMO it is a convergence of many factors..
Many of those names though who were UDFAs were legit players. Not underevaluated guys. Dylan Moses, Jamie Newman, etc. The guys who didn't come out were guys who took the opportunity to have an extra year of college football but who would have had a cup of tea in an NFL camp, so when we say the pool is 40% reduced, that bigger number is full of guys who are out of options in college and will likely never make it. But there were still a lot of notable undrafteds.

So you'd prefer to create practice squad from vets paid in Free Agency?
Keene, Asiasi, or both, could go to the PS. Same for the last three picks. Same for Gunner, or several others who were on the 53 last year. Zuber?

Keene, Asiasi, or both, could go to the PS. Same for the last three picks. Same for Gunner, or several others who were on the 53 last year. Zuber?

You do understand that PS players are first subject to waivers and then free to sign with another team any time.

They couldn't stash UDFAs like Bojorquez, LeBlanc, Carr, Moore, DJ Foster to name just a few and you think nobody in the league would be interested in Day 2 TEs that they felt the need to trade up or pro bowl returner?

There are depleted rosters with little cap out there and they are already lining up who the Pats will cut by the end of August.

Just because pats fans think pats players are jags it doesn't mean the league sees them that way.

Former Bemidji State standout Gunner Olszewski has been rated as the best at his position in the National Football League. The punt returner for the New England Patriots was named to the Associated Press NFL All-Pro First Team. A second-year pro, Olszewski led the NFL with 346 punt return yards and 17.3 yards per punt return from 20 attempts.

Are you suggesting that Gunner, who led the NFL in punt return average last year, should go to the practice squad? What am I missing?

Former Bemidji State standout Gunner Olszewski has been rated as the best at his position in the National Football League. The punt returner for the New England Patriots was named to the Associated Press NFL All-Pro First Team. A second-year pro, Olszewski led the NFL with 346 punt return yards and 17.3 yards per punt return from 20 attempts.

Are you suggesting that Gunner, who led the NFL in punt return average last year, should go to the practice squad? What am I missing?
"Should." No, not at all.

I'm saying he could - he's still eligible. Personally, I think he's going to grow as a slot monster. He works his ass off.

You do understand that PS players are first subject to waivers and then free to sign with another team any time.

They couldn't stash UDFAs like Bojorquez, LeBlanc, Carr, Moore, DJ Foster to name just a few and you think nobody in the league would be interested in Day 2 TEs that they felt the need to trade up or pro bowl returner?

There are depleted rosters with little cap out there and they are already lining up who the Pats will cut by the end of August.

Just because pats fans think pats players are jags it doesn't mean the league sees them that way.
Maybe they trade off a couple for picks next year.

And I don't think Asiasi is a jag. I have no idea of Keene's potential. I'm just saying that they have a lot of PS-eligible players on the team.

84 players is really meaningless when some of these guys were brought on late, and you can always cut them.
UDFAs have very little impact on the cap. We're talking signing bonuses of $10k-25k. Limited evaluation I get, but you can still tryto sign a few to see what they have. At most, it's a $200k outlay. Not going to kill you.
I agree. So that means they didn't like any like other teams

"Should." No, not at all.

I'm saying he could - he's still eligible. Personally, I think he's going to grow as a slot monster. He works his ass off.

I agree. I think the Pats did not draft a JE11 replacement because of Gunner + Bourne and Myers.

Maybe they trade off a couple for picks next year.

And I don't think Asiasi is a jag. I have no idea of Keene's potential. I'm just saying that they have a lot of PS-eligible players on the team.

Im sure they will try to trade some players they cannot keep on 53 or realistically stash on PS but it will be tough business bc other GMs know Pats will cut/waive players they will offer.

Composing 90 roster under the rules of salary cap & waivers is a bit more complex than some people suggest here. Its not just loading up 90 best players possible, there's economy behind it as well.

PS-eligible means nothing if you cant get/keep them there.

There are still 7 players from last practice squad on the roster and they may have more belief and confidence in them than any UDFA this year which is understandable. But still a few more young players that cost nothing should be added if nothing else for economic competition for Practice Squad..

Maybe sign a QB - Jamie Newman or Peyton Ramsey - with the idea he could end up on the practice squad. That would allow team to move on from Stidham, whom the Pats don't appear to have any faith in. Once the season starts the PS QB runs the scout team, Jones preps as though he's the starter from day one, and the team only uses two of the 53 roster spots on a QB.
Ramsey signed with Carolina

My tradition is to spend a good chunk of the Sunday after the draft watching video of the Pats UDFAs looking to notice a gem or two. It’s just a part of the process that particularly interests me. Last year I identified Myles Bryant, J J Taylor and my fav Isiah Zuber. The jury is still out on all 3, but I still hold to my belief that they’ll be good players.

With the Patriots moving slowly with UDFAs this year, I decided to spend some of my Sunday doing a review of the Pats draft class instead and came away very, very impressed.

The Pats selected a better version of Jimmy Garappolo with Mac Jones. The guy completed 77% of his passes last season in the SEC. That’s crazy! Trey Lance didn’t complete 77% of the passes he threw at his first pro day against air. It’s easy to attribute that to the talent around him. But, when you watch him, it’s hard to find a bad or stupid throw or instances where his receivers bailed him out with great catches. Jones’ accuracy is first rate especially on long throws which is not a strength of Jimmy G.

Christian Barmore reminds me of a quicker more athletic Ty Warren who was a fantastic football player overshadowed by Seymour and Wilfork. Time will tell if Barmore has the work ethic to fulfill his talent. But, if he does, he’s going to improve the Pats’ D significantly. What I saw of him against Notre Dame and Ohio State was nearly as dominant as Seymour against the Rams in SB 36. it’s foolish to compare any rookie to a HOFer like Seymour or Brady, so I’ll stay with the Warren comparison.

Ronnie Perkins plays much bigger than his actual size. I haven’t seen how long his reach measurement is, but Perkins gets his hands on Olinemen so quickly that they struggle to keep their balance. Against Oklahoma State, Perkins straight armed a RT right back into the QB’s face. He’s going to quickly find himself on the field as an edge rusher on passing downs. My comparison is Perkins is a smaller version of Chandler Jones who actually plays bigger. Not bad at the end of the 3rd round.

Rhamondre Stevenson does something that all good RBs do. He accelerates in the hole and as he changes direction. Sometimes, you can tell how fast/quick a player is by how he pulls away from players rather than their measured time. How quickly a back gets to his top speed is more important that what his top speed is. The comparison we’ve heard is LaGarrette Blount. Blount accelerated like this guy and played faster than his 40 time, but Stevenson can catch the ball. YAC is a good measure of how natural a player catches the ball, and Rhamondre averaged over 10 yards a reception. They say he’s good at pass blocking, but I didn’t watch and video of him as a blocker. My comparison is Corey Dillon not Blount.

I’m overjoyed with these first 4 picks. I’ve been critical of the Pats drafting over the years with, I believe, good reason. But, it’s hard to be critical of a draft where their first 4 picks can be favourably compared to Garappolo, Warren, Jones and Dillon. I truly expect all 4 to be contributors in their rookie season, and, if they stay healthy, to all have good, noteworthy careers.

My tradition is to spend a good chunk of the Sunday after the draft watching video of the Pats UDFAs looking to notice a gem or two. It’s just a part of the process that particularly interests me. Last year I identified Myles Bryant, J J Taylor and my fav Isiah Zuber. The jury is still out on all 3, but I still hold to my belief that they’ll be good players.

Zuber was my binkie last year, glad to see him mentioned. I am hoping he pushes to make the roster this year. Really like his physical makeup, and he's a good kid.

It might be different this year with covid, so few games or seasons entirely cut.

Has anybody signed wr Byrd?

bb could be planning to sign j mccourty and Byrd instead of UDFA’s.
Makes sense Cousin,
Might want to see Sherman instead. Isn't he same age as MCourty?
There is a under the radar WR out there for Trade. Anthony Miller, as well.
DW Toys

It seems ironic that the string of UDFA rookies making the opening dat roster for the Patriots may be broken because the Patriots didn’t sign any UDFAs.

maybe the way to look at it is that the team did not see any that stood a chance of making the roster so they chose not to waste anybody’s time.

It seems ironic that the string of UDFA rookies making the opening dat roster for the Patriots may be broken because the Patriots didn’t sign any UDFAs.

maybe the way to look at it is that the team did not see any that stood a chance of making the roster so they chose not to waste anybody’s time.
Sure. The expectation is that there won’t be any injuries this year.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back