PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 UDFA Signings Thread

But good vets are hard to find since teams don't let them go easily. We've been through many. Who worked out in the last 20 years? Amendola and Moss? Can't think of anyone else. Maybe Brandon Lloyd was really good for us. The others either flamed out or gave us a half decent year. If you're relying on Vets at the WR position, you're starving. Can't think of a team that is having success with recycled vets.
Corey Dillon. Wes Welker. Trent Brown. Stephon Gilmore. LaGarrette Blount. And I’m pretty sure that’s just a sampling off the top of my head not an exhaustive list. You need to think harder...

Corey Dillon. Wes Welker. Trent Brown. Stephon Gilmore. LaGarrette Blount. And I’m pretty sure that’s just a sampling off the top of my head not an exhaustive list. You need to think harder...
I believe he was talking about WR’s. I don’t know why.

I believe he was talking about WR’s. I don’t know why.
Our WR were good enough for us to be the best offense in the NFL over 20 years.

Belichick is unable to sign or trade for WR's.

Belichick is unable to draft and develop WR's

I wonder how they got on the team over all those years.

How many WR's do they need?

Tre Nixon was a very solid pickup in the 7th, there's a lot to like. First he has speed most others on the roster don't have besides Agholor.

He has great mobility which they all have (Harry good not great) and which the Patriot's value. What also sets him apart besides speed is strength, he is pretty strong for his size.

I'd say he has a solid chance of making the roster but they may decide to redshirt him with the Foxboro flu. If they find he is advanced route runner he could easily make it and contribute assuming Mac is starting.

I don't know about Nixon. I watched some highlights, but I could not get a feel for how good he was; it looked like he was playing against some high school teams. Sure he could get open, but against who?

Maybe he is good, but his 3-cone (6.81) is not going to make anyone forget Julian Edleman (6.62 in the three-cone). Heck, Chad Jackson ran a 6.73. His 40 time (4.44) is not very special by today's standards; decent but not exceptional. Of course, these measurables are not the last word; let's see how he does against NFL corners in the pre-season.

I believe that the 2021 draft was one of the best the Patriots has had recently, but I am reserving judgement on Nixon. It would certainly be wicked cool if the Ernie Adams pick was big hit.

Last edited:
2014: Malcolm Butler
2015: David Andrews
2016: Jonathan Jones
2017: Adam Butler (Kenny Moore released)
2018: JC Jackson
2019: Gunner Olszewski, Jakobi Meyers
2020: JJ Taylor, Myles Bryant

You could argue the pats have averaged a second round pick of value with UDFAs. I’d be surprised if they don’t sign any of them even with the limited talent pool.

Normally they use about 11 WRs in Training Camp. Its 2-3 groups on the field practicing at the same time + simultaneous ST drills that take some WRs away etc. So normally they would need 2 more WRs esp. since Slater was not part of the WR drills last couple of yrs at least.

Last year they had to cut roster down to 80 to have full practice TC. They still carried 10 WRs not incl Slater.

There are rumours the League might ask teams to cut rosters to 80 before TC which is a total joke If teams have no clear info about that already. If they have than this might be one of the reasons for this UDFA mystery although Pats are the only one not filling the roster up with UDFA.

There are plenty shenanigans going on behind the scenes about boycotting all voluntary activities and pushing for allowing opt-outs again. All of this im sure doesn't sit well with Bill and it might be a slight middle finger to all involved by not investing in unnecessary players in this kind of environment. If all teams would agree not to sign UDFA until situation is cleared im sure it would be resolved in one day.

Ill write more about this in another post..
They'll pair the roster down to 53 for the regular season assuming everything is normal, on average a team can afford to roster 5-6 WR's max. At least one of those is usually a return man. The Pats have a good WR room to work with... QB was this team's weakness. Hopefully that's fixed now as well.

But good vets are hard to find since teams don't let them go easily. We've been through many. Who worked out in the last 20 years? Amendola and Moss? Can't think of anyone else. Maybe Brandon Lloyd was really good for us. The others either flamed out or gave us a half decent year. If you're relying on Vets at the WR position, you're starving. Can't think of a team that is having success with recycled vets.
Pats won Super Bowls with 8th round (doesn't exist anymore) Troy Brown, 7th round Julian Edelman, UDFA Danny Amendola, Wes Welker was an UDFA also, David Givens was a 7th round pick, David Patten was an UDFA who came from the arena league...

Meanwhile they lost one with Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth and as of today Julio Jones and Deandre Hopkins have zero rings. Weapons are entirely overrated. You need good weapons, you don't need All Pro's at every WR position.

Our WR were good enough for us to be the best offense in the NFL over 20 years.

Belichick is unable to sign or trade for WR's.

Belichick is unable to draft and develop WR's

I wonder how they got on the team over all those years.
This WR discussion has been beat to death. Why is it still a debate? Boring.

I don't know about Nixon. I watched some highlights, but I could not get a feel for how good he was; it looked like he was playing against some high school teams. Sure he could get open, but against who?

Maybe he is good, but his 3-cone (6.81) is not going to make anyone forget Julian Edleman (6.62 in the three-cone). Heck, Chad Jackson ran a 6.73. His 40 time (4.44) is not very special by today's standards; decent but not exceptional. Of course, these measurables are not the last word; let's see how he does against NFL corners in the pre-season.

I believe that the 2021 draft was one of the best the Patriots has had recently, but I am reserving judgement on Nixon. It would certainly be wicked cool if the Ernie Adams pick was big hit.
Edelman's quickness was otherworldly, it doesn't change that Nixon's cone and shuttle were both really good. 4.4 speed is fast, he was also pretty strong for a WR. There's no guarantees with draft picks. He originally attended Ole Miss in the SEC before transferring after a coaching change, he isn't a stranger to higher levels of competition. Every rookie starts at zero, he has a good skillset to work with.

Edelman's quickness was otherworldly, it doesn't change that Nixon's cone and shuttle were both really good. 4.4 speed is fast, he was also pretty strong for a WR. There's no guarantees with draft picks. He originally attended Ole Miss in the SEC before transferring after a coaching change, he isn't a stranger to higher levels of competition. Every rookie starts at zero, he has a good skillset to work with.
and Nixon has a reasonable chance in his competition to make the Practice Squad, and perhaps the 53 in 2022. If someone is to beat out Harry, it will be a veteran TBD or Zuber.

It is a long time until Training Camp. If you are bored by a thread, don't post there.
I can make my own decisions thanks. I was pointing out the poster was talking about FA WR’s, not FA’s in general. The never ending talk about BB’s WR failures is indeed boring. I’m reading this thread about UDFA’s not a ready for high jacking thread.

One other wide receiver currently on the roster with a shot at making the team as a WR is Kristian Wilkerson, He was picked up a year ago by the Titans as an UDFA and Pats pounced on him. He had great production at SE Missouri state, has good speed and is very strong.
Maybe he stays on practice squad, but perhaps a dark horse to play if there are some injuries.

I can make my own decisions thanks. I was pointing out the poster was talking about FA WR’s, not FA’s in general. The never ending talk about BB’s WR failures is indeed boring. I’m reading this thread about UDFA’s not a ready for high jacking thread.
well, I suppose that could we restrict this discussion to our UDFA's. Is that your suggestion?

Pats won Super Bowls with 8th round (doesn't exist anymore) Troy Brown, 7th round Julian Edelman, UDFA Danny Amendola, Wes Welker was an UDFA also, David Givens was a 7th round pick, David Patten was an UDFA who came from the arena league...

Meanwhile they lost one with Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth and as of today Julio Jones and Deandre Hopkins have zero rings. Weapons are entirely overrated. You need good weapons, you don't need All Pro's at every WR position.
Tom Brady is not walking through that door.

Not to mention that Troy brown and Julian Edelman were fantastic talents, anything but JAGs. As for Welker, we never won a SB with him. Donte Stallworth was not a premium signing. He was always a JAG. In fact, he's the type of guy I'm talking about

Uh--I think you missed a key element in this discussion. We're not talking about FAs. LOL

Because I was responding to someone who said we don't need WRs.
Everyone totally missed the joke. Just disregard the 2nd sentence thank you.
For the record I wanted to draft a receiver in top 3/4 rounds. There were some good prospects still available in that area but BB chose Perkins & then Stevenson. We’ll see how it all works out.

Tom Brady is not walking through that door.

Not to mention that Troy brown and Julian Edelman were fantastic talents, anything but JAGs. As for Welker, we never won a SB with him. Donte Stallworth was not a premium signing. He was always a JAG. In fact, he's the type of guy I'm talking about
Tom Brady wasn’t a world beater back in 2001-2004, he became Tom Brady.

Troy Brown and Edelman weren’t Julio Jones... have some perspective please. Gunner is almost the exact same “athlete” that Amendola was, they could be twins.

Nixon is a better athlete than Welker ever was, doesn’t mean he’s a better WR, but if he doesn’t make it the reason won’t be a lack of athleticism. The receivers on this team are at a distinct disadvantage with Cam at QB. If Mac Jones is for real and starts relatively soon fans will awake to the fact QB’s make receivers, not the other way around. AJ Brown didn’t do jack with Mariota, insert Tannehill and like magic Brown has “talent.”

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back