PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 UDFA Signings Thread

No UFAs signed yet? I know the pool is a 1/3rd of what it normally is but notable nonetheless.

I wonder if they think more vets will be cut and their intention is to pick them up at rock-bottom prices?

No UFAs signed yet? I know the pool is a 1/3rd of what it normally is but notable nonetheless.

I wonder if they think more vets will be cut and their intention is to pick them up at rock-bottom prices?

Excellent point. There's always roster churn throughout the season. Let's see if the Patriots take advantage.

It’s not just the Pats.

Pats, Phins, Bills, Colts, Giants and Rams - no UDFA signings so far (note: nfl.com link may not be 100% accurate/up-to-the-minute) Multiple other teams have only signed one or two guys. Strange year.

Last edited:
It’s not just the Pats.

Pats, Phins, Bills, Colts, Giants and Rams - no UDFA signings so far (note: nfl.com link may not be 100% accurate/up-to-the-minute) Multiple other teams have only signed one or two guys. Strange year.

Very odd... this is usually one of NE's biggest competitive advantages - nabbing undrafted guys who are good enough to make the back-end of a roster and sometimes eventually become actual good players (Butler, Andrews, Jackson, Meyers being recent examples)

Interesting. They do have more cap space than normal.
But that ignores the economic value of options. Wouldn’t you like the option to compare a Malcolm Butler or Jakoby Meyers to a released veteran?

But that ignores the economic value of options. Wouldn’t you like the option to compare a Malcolm Butler or Jakoby Meyers to a released veteran?
I agree but we are in weird times.

I don't see why they wouldn't just sign the UDFA and cut them when they want to sign a veteran. Every year there's a couple UDFA here who get cut after just a couple days/weeks. There's no real commitment.

I don't see why they wouldn't just sign the UDFA and cut them when they want to sign a veteran. Every year there's a couple UDFA here who get cut after just a couple days/weeks. There's no real commitment.
.....then we can conclude the reason why they aren't doing that is they just don't like anyone well enough to warrant signing them.

.....then we can conclude the reason why they aren't doing that is they just don't like anyone well enough to warrant signing them.
I think that's probably the only safe conclusion to draw right now.

Yep. According to Kyed thats pretty much the reason.

There were only 657 draft-eligible players in 2021. That’s down from 1,932 in 2020. Almost half of the draft-eligible players were taken Thursday, Friday and Saturday, leaving an even smaller and weaker crop of rookie free agents. The Patriots also have fewer available roster spots than usual since they splurged in free agency.

With so many teams signing two or less UDFAs, you would think someone like Reiss would write and explain why.

Just saw @robertweatherpost from Kyed. Thanks.

nothing this morning. Patriots ONLY team with no announced UDFA's.... Go figure.

Waiting for Cuts, and taking their time I’m ok with this.

Maybe sign a QB - Jamie Newman or Peyton Ramsey - with the idea he could end up on the practice squad. That would allow team to move on from Stidham, whom the Pats don't appear to have any faith in. Once the season starts the PS QB runs the scout team, Jones preps as though he's the starter from day one, and the team only uses two of the 53 roster spots on a QB.

Maybe sign a QB - Jamie Newman or Peyton Ramsey - with the idea he could end up on the practice squad. That would allow team to move on from Stidham, whom the Pats don't appear to have any faith in. Once the season starts the PS QB runs the scout team, Jones preps as though he's the starter from day one, and the team only uses two of the 53 roster spots on a QB.
Newman was drafted
I’m thinking KJ Costello

Newman was signed by the Eagles.

We’ll just have to rename this the June 1st cuts thread.

Next month is going to be the strangest month in cuts this board has ever seen. Lot of teams over the cap and the tough decisions are going to be evident. Some players you never expected will be available.

That’s exactly what I think they’re going to do.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back