PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Red Sox

I think you're giving him too much credit for Tampa's success. He didn't have the same power that Theo had with the sox his early years. Calling him a sidecar is hardly disparaging. You're exaggerating.
Theo was named GM at age 28 after a few years with the Padres.

Bloom is 38, and from when he was hired: "Though he is technically second-in-command behind general manager Erik Neander, the Rays have employed a dual-headed monster in their baseball operations decision-making and Bloom has had a large amount of power in the last three seasons."

It just seems like you have to work quite a bit to say he hasn't been tied to their success.

Again, as I said to Captain grumpy, who's to say how he'll do over time. But it seems a little wackadoo to say he sucks and wasn't qualified.

Theo was named GM at age 28 after a few years with the Padres.

Bloom is 38, and from when he was hired: "Though he is technically second-in-command behind general manager Erik Neander, the Rays have employed a dual-headed monster in their baseball operations decision-making and Bloom has had a large amount of power in the last three seasons."

It just seems like you have to work quite a bit to say he hasn't been tied to their success.

Again, as I said to Captain grumpy, who's to say how he'll do over time. But it seems a little wackadoo to say he sucks and wasn't qualified.
lol I never said he sucked and wasn't qualified. You are exaggerating again. The point i tried to make was you give him too much credit for Tampa's success. What i find a little whako is how defensive you are on the subject. Are you related?

lol I never said he sucked and wasn't qualified. You are exaggerating again. The point i tried to make was you give him too much credit for Tampa's success. What i find a little whako is how defensive you are on the subject. Are you related?
After I replied to @captain stone saying he should be fired by citing Tampa's success, you jumped in and said "He didn't build anything down there. He was a sidecar" which would certainly seem to suggest you don't think he had the bona fides to be the Sox gm. Glad I was wrong. No, we're not related.

After I replied to @captain stone saying he should be fired by citing Tampa's success, you jumped in and said "He didn't build anything down there. He was a sidecar" which would certainly seem to suggest you don't think he had the bona fides to be the Sox gm. Glad I was wrong. No, we're not related.
What I said doesn't imply he isn't qualified. You can be qualified and still fail. He was worth a shot. And I liked the hire at the time. That being said. You give him too much credit for the ray's success. And i stand by the sidecar comment. Because he was. As far as his time with the redsox. I haven't made up my mind yet.

What I said doesn't imply he isn't qualified. You can be qualified and still fail. He was worth a shot. And I liked the hire at the time. That being said. You give him too much credit for the ray's success. And i stand by the sidecar comment. Because he was.
I give him the credit for the Rays success that media accounts suggested he receive, which contradicts your view that he didn't build anything.

I give him the credit for the Rays success that media accounts suggested he receive, which contradicts your view that he didn't build anything.
Your comments suggest that he was the main reason for the ray's success. When he wasn't in charge. He didn't build anything. He worked under the guy who did. That's good exp. and makes him worthy of a shot at being the GM or president. he will be judged by what he does as the big cheese. And if he is successful, he will get the credit. Not some guy working under him.

Your comments suggest that he was the main reason for the ray's success. When he wasn't in charge. He didn't build anything. He worked under the guy who did. That's good exp. and makes him worthy of a shot at being the GM or president. he will be judged by what he does as the big cheese. And if he is successful, he will get the credit. Not some guy working under him.
"The Rays have employed a dual-headed monster in their baseball operations decision-making and Bloom has had a large amount of power in the last three seasons" would suggest more than someone who "didn't build anything."

"The Rays have employed a dual-headed monster in their baseball operations decision-making and Bloom has had a large amount of power in the last three seasons" would suggest more than someone who "didn't build anything."
One guy has the final say on the roster. And it wasn't him. That suggests he didn't build anything. But he got some good exp watching the guy who did.

One guy has the final say on the roster. And it wasn't him. That suggests he didn't build anything. But he got some good exp watching the guy who did.

He interviewed for six GM jobs while with the Rays. He didn’t get the first five, which tells me he didn’t have the type of decision making experiemce those teams were looking for. And since he interviewed for six other GM positions, it suggests he didn’t have the authority he wanted. It’s not like Boston was his childhood team and he decided to leave a perfect situation in Tampa for sentimental reasons. He went there to finally be the top guy.

Sox jump out to an early 3-0 lead. if Sox can find a way to win and go 3-3 on this road trip it would give them a lot of momentum going into a 8 game home stand. With Sale due to pitch this weekend and facing 4 out 5 teams with losing records over the rest of the season I like their chances.

Last edited:
Sox jump out to an early 3-0 lead. if Sox can find a way to win and go 3-3 on this road trip it would give them a lot of momentum going into a 8 game home stand. With Sale due to pitch this weekend and facing 4 out 5 teams with losing records over the rest of the season I like their chances.
Big game for sure. I think 92 wins get them in, which means if they win today they'd have to go 9-5 over the last 5 series, which means they wouldn't have to sweep any of them--even the Orioles are capable of winning a game or two.

edit: and just like that Houck spits the bit and it's tie

Jose Ingleias really must enjoy being on a team in a pennant race, he's hitting .429 as a Sox.

Shaw’s been a pleasant surprise too. And Dalbec is like a different player since the deadline
It was nice to see the middle of the bats get some big hits in the 6 run 10th inning 9-4 victory. It will make for a for a pleasant 6 hour plane ride home as they get a day off tomorrow before facing Baltimore Friday.

Sox in decent shape right now, it's all about winning series. Don't have to sweep. (Of course that helps). Have a few days off too, so can use the good arms in the pen pretty freely.

Here's a reasonable way it might shake out compared to the Yankees the rest of the way. The Sox are a half game up now.

--Take 2/3 against the Orioles, Yankees do the same against the Indians. Still 1/2 up

--Split 2 with the Mets, Yankees take 2 of 3 from Texas, even.

--The big one, 3 against the Yankees. Gotta win that series. 2/3, up 1

--2/3 against the O's again, Yankees lose 2 of 3 to Toronto, up 2

--2/3 against the Nats (if they need to win 2, depending) Yankees win 2 of 3 against Tampa, finish 2 up

It won't shake out this way of course, but nothing crazy here I don't think. If they lose the series to the Yankees, good chance they'll end up tied. Either way, I think 92 wins is the number to shoot for.

Nice easy win for Sox, Sele pitches 5 and gives up 2 hits and a 1 run. Renfro has a late bases clearing double and now has 93 RBI's. Barnes made his return and gave up a walk and a hit but got out of trouble. Toronto loses, Yankees win. Nick Pivetta goes after his allusive 10th win tomorrow at 1PM.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back