PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Patriots Roster Discussion Thread

OK. I understand. I think Sweet Feet is a PTP, but will not be back (maybe on a really cheap deal), so I say don't fall in love with him. Do you remember Shane Vereen? Same type of player, and left after his rookie contract, and was replaced by James White. White was drafted, played very little his rookie year even though Fears spoke highly of him, the Pats let Vereen go and White stepped in. We signed JJ Taylor, he played very little this year, Fears talked highly of him, and now I think White will not be resigned and Taylor will step in and take over. Rinse and repeat.

White might be different because he is a PTP and might take a discount. But he has never been great running between the tackles and I think this year he looked worse, including getting tripped up more than in the past (soft tackles).
White is going to tampa... they need someone for shorter screens..who better than white.. I think next year tampa will employ the pats scheme of short slice and dice offense...

White is going to tampa... they need someone for shorter screens..who better than white.. I think next year tampa will employ the pats scheme of short slice and dice offense...

I agree that Tampa will continue to copy the Pats. I think White is fine for screens but he is too easily tripped up (soft tackles). Where White is really weak, in my opinion, is running between the tackles. If the opposing D puts 7, or even 6, in the box, White is not scaring anyone of getting run over. Burkhead was used because he could run around people, but running through and around people, while executing the screens, is ideal. I think JJ Taylor might be able to do all three given the chance. That is why I think White will not be resigned. Doubt Burkhead will be resigned too, but maybe for a minimum contract.

This is OT - so apologies for piling on - but this will be the cheapest FA in BB era (even if they adjust the cap up from what is currently projected) - so it will be the cheapest and best situation to rebuild. That includes Trade Market with several fire sales looming. And Pats are in prime position to take advantage - which should be no surprise.

The question is how much will be invested into this special bargain year esp. if QB situation will remain a Q - and how much will be saved for next SB mode?

In any case it will be a very busy year for @DaBruinz and this thread :)
This is the best point made so far in this thread.

The Saints, Eagles, Rams, Falcons, Raiders, Steelers, Chiefs, Texans, Vikings, Bears, Titans and Giants are all over the 2021 cap before you even count their current free agents. There's a lot of guys who are going to be traded or cut.

I agree that Tampa will continue to copy the Pats.
Are the bucs really going to refuse to have any quality TE's or QB's? Are they going to go into next season with no NT and a poor front seven. That is the pats example. Are they going to copy that? Did they copy the pats in 2020?

Are the bucs really going to refuse to have any quality TE's or QB's? Are they going to go into next season with no NT and a poor front seven. That is the pats example. Are they going to copy that? Did they copy the pats in 2020?

I meant copy the Pats offensive system. The context of the post did not include defense. I believe they went to shorter dink and dunk passing as the season progressed. It was similar to Brady when he had the personnel to go downfield at the Patriots. They tried to use McCoy as a 3rd down back as well.

The Bucs like any other team will have to make salary cap decisions in 2021. They have $30M in space so they are not in dire straights, but they have to sign Barrett, David, Gronk, Suh, Godwin, Fournette, and AB, plus have room for the draft picks, so the Bucs will have to hemorrhage even with $30M in cap space. How the Bucs spend their cap will say a lot.

No the patriots example is 18 division titles, 30 playoff wins, 13 AFCCGs, 9 SBs and 6 championships in 19 years.

No the patriots example is 18 division titles, 30 playoff wins, 13 AFCCGs, 9 SBs and 6 championships in 19 years.
While I agree, I don't think that the bucs have done anything that shows that they are on the road to copy this journey and achievements.

While I agree, I don't think that the bucs have done anything that shows that they are on the road to copy this journey and achievements.
Not the point, the point is how you defined copying the patriots.

What's the expected lifetime for a squirrel?

I expect this team to take a big leap forward next year. Bill is going to sit out the start of free agency and wait until he can sign a large contingent of value contracts. In the past Bill has preferred to trade for upper tiered talent rather than chase it in free agency. The cap situation this year gives me hope that the Pats will finally address the receiver and tight end positions. On defense I expect New England to upgrade the front seven in a major way.

Hoping Edleman comes back next year and shows that he has something left...one of my favorite players of all time!!

I think its more likely he goes to Miami. His mother who fortunately survived the accident that killed his father lives there. With Flores there I think that is the most likely scenario if he wants to be closer to his family like Reiss indicated.

But of course if the Bucs throw significantly more money at him..

I think its more likely he goes to Miami. His mother who fortunately survived the accident that killed his father lives there. With Flores there I think that is the most likely scenario if he wants to be closer to his family like Reiss indicated.

But of course if the Bucs throw significantly more money at him..
I think GM Tom Brady is going to make a big push. It has to be killing him that the Bucs’ RBs had almost five times the drop rate compared to 2018-2019 James White.

(PFR’s advanced stats only started 3 years ago, so we only have two Brady-White years in there.)

I expect this team to take a big leap forward next year. Bill is going to sit out the start of free agency and wait until he can sign a large contingent of value contracts. In the past Bill has preferred to trade for upper tiered talent rather than chase it in free agency. The cap situation this year gives me hope that the Pats will finally address the receiver and tight end positions. On defense I expect New England to upgrade the front seven in a major way.

I agree on the defense upgrade, but I am not sure about sitting out the start of free agency because I think there will be minimal initial big money deals, so there is no reason to wait. Indy and Jacksonville (more cap space than NE) are not big spenders. The JETEs might sign some stupid contracts, nothing new there, but overall I think the start of free agency will be significantly tempered. The question is who will BB sign - I think a younger Gilmore replacement will be signed, maybe Lattimore, so then we can both eliminate Gilmore's cap space (to offset Lattimore's contract), and get a good draft pick. We do not have many players who can increase cap savings coupled with a high draft pick. Thuney will be gone along with Cannon. I think BB likes Chung and Hightower so they will be back but maybe at lower $$s. Will be very fun to watch.

If BB is very active, Captain Marshmallow might lose it as he is guaranteed to disagree with every move. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Even more fun. Buy your popcorn!!!

Last edited:
Hoping Edleman comes back next year and shows that he has something left...one of my favorite players of all time!!
Edelman doesn't have to make any decision soon. He can certainly wait until a month into the new season. If Belichick pays the $25M to bring in a reasonable quarterback and brings in a top WR, perhaps Edelman will give it another go.

6'6" WR? A Plaxico clone?

If I remember correctly, I had a brief look at him and thought he was slow and soft

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back