PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Offensive Rookie of the Year

You can't trade down. It is not a draft discussion, it is an OROTY discussion so you have to pick Jones or Chase.

In this case I would take Jones for the spars, but Chase for the Bengals, as they already have their QB.

How? Explain.
seriously?

as a WR you can win basically with your athelticism and route running only, the more gifted you are the easier you will transfer from college to NFL, a QB not only has to know and understand what his entire O (all 11 of them) is supposed to do on the field BUT has to understand what the D (all of them not only one CB/FS) are throwing at him, he has to be able to call protections and change them, he has to process everything in milliseconds and make the right call while he is been chased down by 4-5 280lbs rushers, there is a huge difference between what O and D do in college and what the best few hundred players and coaches do in the NFL on both sides of the ball (same is valid for Receivers as well for sure but yet again only by your talent you can immedialty make an impact if you have a proper QB that can throw you the ball)

as QB you cannot accelarate as rookie only based on your athleticism and fast feet since it takes way more to be good at the QB position than as a WR

than of course the importance of the position is different, if your QB ****s his bad the team is ****ed up, if your WR out of 3-4 WR/TEs per play ****s his bad and runs the wrong route the team is not ****ed up that much because the QB can go to other options instantly

Chase is great I don't mind him winning OROY, I am also pretty sure that Mac would have even better numbers with such WRs Cincy has than what he's got in NE

I think Chase wins, for the same reason that people here have been clamoring for a true weapon at WR: it's easily the sexier position. His raw speed and athleticism are on display for all to see as he runs by defenders. It's easier for voters to look at him in and see a shiny new toy. That's not to disparage his season, which is outstanding and deserving of the award.

If Chase wasn't having the randy moss-esque season, it'd be Jones hands down. Jones has had a fantastic rookie season, Chase just has been slightly more impressive. No knock on Jones, he's been everything and more, but sometimes you just have to tip the cap. He's going to surpass 1500 yards Sunday, TDs to be determined. Both just amazing rookie seasons.

It’s Chase’s to lose. Mac will be the runner-up, and deservedly so.

So the question should be, your team needs a QB and a WR and you can pick a qb who ends up being a top 12 in the league his rookie year, and looks like he has tons of upside, or a WR who ends up being top 3 his rookie year, which one would you take. My guess is almost everyone would chose the qb. The qb touches the ball on every play and ends up being responsible to get the ball to the wr.

That doesn't answer the question as to who deserves to win the award more. They both deserve it.

Chase gets it ...

And BB whispers into Mac's ear as the playoffs begin.."you're a rookie who took his team into the playoffs and they gave it to Chase can you believe it?"

Mac goes on and wins the SB and wins Super Bowl MVP. Rips off a 20 year stint and uses "I wasn't picked OROTY as the chip on shoulder."

:: Over the loud speaker:: Sir, this is a Dunkin donuts.

So the question should be, your team needs a QB and a WR and you can pick a qb who ends up being a top 12 in the league his rookie year, and looks like he has tons of upside, or a WR who ends up being top 3 his rookie year, which one would you take. My guess is almost everyone would chose the qb. The qb touches the ball on every play and ends up being responsible to get the ball to the wr.

That doesn't answer the question as to who deserves to win the award more. They both deserve it.
We understand your premise. Of course we want to see our own win the award, but you need to be able to see this objectively. Chase isn't just "top 3," he broke the rookie receiving yards record, and is looking like a WR phenom.

If your metric is, who has the most direct involvement in each snap, of course it's Mac, but that's not the award. Mac had a damn fine year; his competition broke the rookie record. They both deserve it, one just achieved more his first year.

I meant of course top 3 in the league.

How many WR's had a better year than Chase?

How many QB's had a better year than Jones?
===========
Just, BTW, we often compare Jones with other rookie QB's. OK, he IS the rookie QB of the year. However, IMO, that would be true of any of several rookie QB's if they played for the patriots this year. I am really glad that we have Jones, but there are others that would likely have brought us to the playoffs.

Many disagreed at the time, but Chase was more of a difference maker than an OT would have been, and certainly a better choice for CIN than Waddle.

Well I doin't want to see him win it. I'm in the "put another chip on his shoulder" crowd. Now that being said, I believe he DESERVES it. Moosekill said it well, it IS all about the positions they play. All things being equal, you HAVE to give it to the QB because of his impact to the game. Chase has had a remarkable year and has had a bunch of highlight worthy plays, while in comparison Mac's production seems much more workmanlike. BUT everyone likes the highlight plays and for that reason Chase will likely win it, and that's OK with me.

The only thing I regret is that it will encourage all the "just get a true #1 WR and it. will solve all our problems" crowd. Having a great WR would be nice, but if you have bothered to watch the last TWENTY years of Patriots football, you will have noticed that its NOT a necessity, its a luxury. It is certainly not a position I would want the Pats to use a high draft choice on, or spend what limited cap space we have on. But my take on WR's has been consistent for a lot of years and if I can pat myself on the back a bit, that take has PROVEN to be the right one.

If you could pick one player for your team, would you rather have Chase or Jones?

This is a completely different question, this depends upon team needs and how a player projects going forward. The rookie of the year award is about who had the best season, not who fills your need going forward the most.

What jones has done this year is simply amazing!

in our complex offense, his pre snap reads are spot on. He had mastered formations, line calls and knowledge of what the defense is doing pre snap.

but jones can not overcome the fact that we have the slowest and nearly least talented receiver room in the nfl!

chase is the shiny penny that the voters will gravitate toward.

but keep in mind, that burrows, the first overall pick is throwing to chase a top 10 overall pick.

jones is a top 15 pick throwing to a motley collection of mostly slow and flawed receivers.
Jones is throwing to the 1st WR picked in the 2019 draft :ninja:

Well I doin't want to see him win it. I'm in the "put another chip on his shoulder" crowd. Now that being said, I believe he DESERVES it. Moosekill said it well, it IS all about the positions they play. All things being equal, you HAVE to give it to the QB because of his impact to the game. Chase has had a remarkable year and has had a bunch of highlight worthy plays, while in comparison Mac's production seems much more workmanlike. BUT everyone likes the highlight plays and for that reason Chase will likely win it, and that's OK with me.

The only thing I regret is that it will encourage all the "just get a true #1 WR and it. will solve all our problems" crowd. Having a great WR would be nice, but if you have bothered to watch the last TWENTY years of Patriots football, you will have noticed that its NOT a necessity, its a luxury. It is certainly not a position I would want the Pats to use a high draft choice on, or spend what limited cap space we have on. But my take on WR's has been consistent for a lot of years and if I can pat myself on the back a bit, that take has PROVEN to be the right one.
You had Tom Brady for 20 years though. Let's see if Jones can make everyone around him better as a rookie is not fair to ask that from him, but if we can get him some studs without limiting the rest of the team, why not go for it.

This is a good question. If you had the 1st pick in the 1st round, would you pick the QB Jones and a WR later, or would you pick the WR Chase and the QB later? Would you rather have Mac Jones and Elijah Moore OR Ja'Marr Chase and Davis Mills?

@FCB02062 and @rochrist think there should be an investigation if you prefer Jones and Moore.
That's really unrelated to roty. Jones has been excellent. If the award were just among rookie QBs he's a shoe in. But Chase has done stuff that NOBODY has done since Randy Moss.

seriously?

as a WR you can win basically with your athelticism and route running only...
Not on the Patriots you can't. See several vet greats who came here and were complete busts.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back