PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Offensive Rookie of the Year

Chase's numbers are better and more dominant than Mac's

On the other hand, Mac Jones's performance has been more impressive because of the degree of difficulty alone

Yeah, that guy is dominant. Can't believe how good he has played.

Obviously missing an important word there.

Is there an easier position to make the transition from college to pro than WR?
Depends on the offense. In the Erhardt-Perkins offense like the Pats, it is difficult for some, even veterans like Joey Galloway and Ocho Cinco while some rookies like Deion Branch, Malcolm Mitchell picked it up quickly. In other offenses where the receiver don't have to make a pre-snap read and simply run a 6,7 or 9 route, it is pretty easy. That being said, I think Chase is the real deal and going to be a problem for opposing teams for a long time.. I like Burrow's attitude when they ripped on him for passing late in last week's game, his attitude was " they did it to us last year".....

Depends on the offense. In the Erhardt-Perkins offense like the Pats, it is difficult for some, even veterans like Joey Galloway and Ocho Cinco while some rookies like Deion Branch, Malcolm Mitchell picked it up quickly. In other offenses where the receiver don't have to make a pre-snap read and simply run a 6,7 or 9 route, it is pretty easy. That being said, I think Chase is the real deal and going to be a problem for opposing teams for a long time.. I like Burrow's attitude when they ripped on him for passing late in last week's game, his attitude was " they did it to us last year".....

In our offense, the receiver and qb have to read the same thing, pre and post snap, depending on what the safeties do after the snap.

What jones has done this year is simply amazing!

in our complex offense, his pre snap reads are spot on. He had mastered formations, line calls and knowledge of what the defense is doing pre snap.

but jones can not overcome the fact that we have the slowest and nearly least talented receiver room in the nfl!

chase is the shiny penny that the voters will gravitate toward.

but keep in mind, that burrows, the first overall pick is throwing to chase a top 10 overall pick.

jones is a top 15 pick throwing to a motley collection of mostly slow and flawed receivers.

Everything you say is true. But IMHO, individual awards mean next to nothing in the ultimate team sport and I wouldn't mind Mac flying under the radar in that respect. (Of course, Brady fans will slit their wrists if he doesn't win MVP.)

If you could pick one player for your team, would you rather have Chase or Jones?

If you could pick one player for your team, would you rather have Chase or Jones?

This is a good question. If you had the 1st pick in the 1st round, would you pick the QB Jones and a WR later, or would you pick the WR Chase and the QB later? Would you rather have Mac Jones and Elijah Moore OR Ja'Marr Chase and Davis Mills?

@FCB02062 and @rochrist think there should be an investigation if you prefer Jones and Moore.

If Chase wins Jones can put the news of it on his bulletin board, the spirit of Rodney Harrison lives on.

Then the Rodney Dangerfield effect kicks in..

I dont want to play Cincinnati.

Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Boyd, Higgins are the tooth. Their TE quit school because they had recess.
Not that scared man. We’d out physical them.

they did all that against a depleted ravens squad.

mixons 1200+ is due to their passing game being that potent. Not saying he ain’t good, but Harris would do similarly over there.

they’llbe out in 1-2 rounds, and same next season too.

Last edited:
This is a good question. If you had the 1st pick in the 1st round, would you pick the QB Jones and a WR later, or would you pick the WR Chase and the QB later? Would you rather have Mac Jones and Elijah Moore OR Ja'Marr Chase and Davis Mills?

@FCB02062 and @rochrist think there should be an investigation if you prefer Jones and Moore.
Or would you trade down and pick and ol and defense

Y’all also need to understand that the records being broken mean diddly given the rule and philosophy changes since the 00s.

also the hot new qb names they force on us…

promise you, until the nba-ification of the league plateaus… they’ll continue to be shattered next season and season after that.

im not wooed by this. Show me a good team, a strong philosophy. Not this skip/Shannon stuff.

Unless you are going to make the OROY the QBROY Award you have to give it to Chase. Jones has had a really good rookie season, but Chase has had an All Pro rookie season. I would give it to Chase.

Unless you are going to make the OROY the QBROY Award you have to give it to Chase. Jones has had a really good rookie season, but Chase has had an All Pro rookie season. I would give it to Chase.
the thing is that the QB position is way more difficult to master in the NFL when coming from college than WR position (with a top 5 QB under center)

no doubt Chase will be a top receiver in years to come, lets see what Mac can do

but to be honest I don't care about those personal trophies, the only trophy I care about is the Bill Belichick trophy at the end of the year, oh wait its still called Lombardi, I am again a few years ahead :whistle:

Not that scared man. We’d out physical them.

they did all that against a depleted ravens squad.

mixons 1200+ is due to their passing game being that potent. Not saying he ain’t good, but Harris would do similarly over there.

they’llbe out in 1-2 rounds, and same next season too.
The Bengals are the just the type of explosive offense that Jones does not want to see.

Or would you trade down and pick and ol and defense

You can't trade down. It is not a draft discussion, it is an OROTY discussion so you have to pick Jones or Chase.

You can't trade down. It is not a draft discussion, it is an OROTY discussion so you have to pick Jones or Chase.
“If you had the #1 pick”, you asked…

but but BUT.. given our 2020 team obv pick jones.

the thing is that the QB position is way more difficult to master in the NFL when coming from college than WR position (with a top 5 QB under center)

no doubt Chase will be a top receiver in years to come, lets see what Mac can do

but to be honest I don't care about those personal trophies, the only trophy I care about is the Bill Belichick trophy at the end of the year, oh wait its still called Lombardi, I am again a few years ahead :whistle:

I don’t really disagree with this but I feel like any rookie who puts up an All Pro season should be given their due, to give it to the QB every time really makes it the QB ROY Award. As far as the Patriots go I’ll take Jones, despite how good Achaea is, because getting the franchise QB is the most important, and difficult, position to fill, but for the one season achievement I have to give to the best season, and that’s Chase this year IMO.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back