PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind many teams, including this team, need to wait until the league year actually changes over before they have cap money to spend.

Also, JJ Watt.

Tomorrow is the deadline for franchise tag. Expect to hear some players being franchised.

Keep in mind many teams, including this team, need to wait until the league year actually changes over before they have cap money to spend.

Also, JJ Watt.
JJ Watt wasn't a Free Agent, as in, wasn't a Free Agent if not resigned or franchised by the deadlines.

He was released with a year left on his contract.

did i read somewhere the deadline might be extended, since final cap number isn't official yet?

This is interesting. Only 2.3M cap saved with pre June 1 trade for arguably most dominant guard in the league before opt-out.
They would save 10.5M with after June-1 trade acc to OTC.

One problematic consequence of long-term deals by the opt-outs is they are moved 1yr ahead, meaning teams lose one prime year of player and add one older year at the same contract value.

If he returns in the same capacity he played before opt-out this is still good contract to take - 10.5M, 13.5M, 13.7M, 15.5M with only 10.4M guaranteed - possibly cheaper than Thuney..

JJ Watt wasn't a Free Agent, as in, wasn't a Free Agent if not resigned or franchised by the deadlines.

I was responding to someone saying "no one has been signed yet" and implying it meant the market was slow. The only way for anyone to be signed "yet" is the scenario you've just described because it's still technically the 2020 season.

The context was someone claiming that there weren't yet any big free agent signings. There are two basic free agent types right now, and the type that has the vast majority of likely signees is currently unavailable to be signed.

So "JJ Watt" was the appropriate response there.

I was responding to someone saying "no one has been signed yet" and implying it meant the market was slow. The only way for anyone to be signed "yet" is the scenario you've just described because it's still technically the 2020 season.
What I meant was that the available street FA (other than Watt) market has been slow and that I ANTICIPATE a slow regular FA.

I don't think people should panic over anything right now. It behooves us to let all the cap casualties take place so we can take stock of the entire market before deciding on specific targets. No reason to rush into deals right now and end up overpaying for someone only to discover someone better could've been had.

Snooze and you lose. You don't pull the trigger then someone else will...BB knew how to be aggressive in FA when needed...hope he remembers.

I wish BB would surprise everyone and go crazy in FA. Sign 4 top 3-5 FA at WR, DT/DE, LB, TE instead of bringing in jags that need to be coached up to add value. Days of getting away with winning with avg talent are over, imo. Team needs talent NOW.

I don't think i'm getting bent out of shape over anything. If it were Crawhammer or Biffins trashing BB that's is an example of me getting bent out of shape. :p

I'm replying to your posts with my opinion and stating why I believe BB is moving on from Cannon.

Moving on.

Except you aren't replying with opinion. You're replaying with claims that were never made.

You have ZERO support for the idea that BB is moving on from Cannon. None at all. In fact, MY statement is much more likely than anything you've posted to this point on the matter.
Why? If he shows in OTAs and in Mini-Camp that the year off has helped him return to his 2018 form, he won't be cut or have his contract touched. That cap hit for a starting RT who's not on a rookie contract is more than a bargain.

It's notable that Cannon remained on the roster until last July 28 when he opted out, despite the team being down to approximately a million in cap room at one point. Either a year off or the lower cap could have changed those circumstances, but Belichick clearly wasn't giving up on Cannon after the 2019 season.

No one major has been signed yet at all. I suspect a slow free agency is coming

That's because regular free agency hasn't started, the league hadn't finalized the salary cap numbers prior to today, the league hadn't finalized the Franchise, Transition and Restricted Free Agent numbers and they hadn't announced the Comp picks.

Teams are going slow on signing Street Free agents because people are expecting a LOT of them to hit the market since teams like New Orleans and Philly are in such deep trouble.

Watt was a Street Free Agent. No. He wasn't an unrestricted free agent like many players who's contracts ended at the end of the 2020/2021 league year. But he was still a free agent who could sign with whatever team he wanted prior to the start of the new league year.

Nope. Just shows that you love to make SWAGS like he does.
You don't know me well enough to know if I'm into Swapping Wives.

The context was someone claiming that there weren't yet any big free agent signings. There are two basic free agent types right now, and the type that has the vast majority of likely signees is currently unavailable to be signed.

So "JJ Watt" was the appropriate response there.
I agree and I'm not saying you were wrong or anything like that. I was just adding context. With many UFAs likely to hit the market in the next week or so, I would expect the "street free agent" market to be slow. They still don't know the CAP, or who will be franchised, etc.

EDIT: Wow, that weirdly screwed up - that was obviously Deus's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down