PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of tackles can play beyond their 30s . He’s a serviceable right tackle. If he’s released someone will make a run at him.
There'll be several suitors for Scarnechia coached OLmen that protected the GOAT QB.

Eh, I know it may seem that way when you are so terribly outmatched in our exchanges but im really not THAT smart
Your intellect is not the reason I made the suggestion. The pathos of thinking you win every argument when you actually lose every argument should be studied.

Your intellect is not the reason I made the suggestion. The pathos of thinking you win every argument when you actually lose every argument should be studied.
Says the guy who trashes the greatest football coach ever because he divorced his wife.

I am sure Cannon can find another job without any issues in the open market, but is any team willing to pay 8M or somewhere even close to that to a 33 year old tackle who had a down season and sat out a year? NFL teams tend to use every excuse in the book to try to negotiate down player prices, and those are two great reasons why a team would want to pay Cannon less. Sure, sitting out a year could potentially make him healthier, but look at what it did to LeVeon Bell. I can't imagine in this market where salary cap space is hard to come by in like 2/3 of the league that a team would want to pay Cannon significant dollars. Maybe 5M per year, if he is lucky.

I am sure Cannon can find another job without any issues in the open market, but is any team willing to pay 8M or somewhere even close to that to a 33 year old tackle who had a down season and sat out a year? NFL teams tend to use every excuse in the book to try to negotiate down player prices, and those are two great reasons why a team would want to pay Cannon less. Sure, sitting out a year could potentially make him healthier, but look at what it did to LeVeon Bell. I can't imagine in this market where salary cap space is hard to come by in like 2/3 of the league that a team would want to pay Cannon significant dollars. Maybe 5M per year, if he is lucky.
Cannon's situation is straightforward. Collect his roster bonus, and allow the patriots to cut him.

Say he is worth only $4M. Then the patriots would cut him, and he'll sign somewhere else for $4M.

If the patriots want to give to convert lots of his slary to bonus, and some to incentives, that fine. But that won't happen if the team thinks that he is worth as little as you say.

The bottom line is that the team might cut him before the roster bonus, but only if the negotiate a deal with someone else first. The next time is not clear. Even a draftee would not mean that he should be cut before camp.

No one major has been signed yet at all. I suspect a slow free agency is coming

No one major has been signed yet at all. I suspect a slow free agency is coming

Keep in mind many teams, including this team, need to wait until the league year actually changes over before they have cap money to spend.

Also, JJ Watt.

Keep in mind many teams, including this team, need to wait until the league year actually changes over before they have cap money to spend.

Also, JJ Watt.
On point 1 O still think we see a depressed market overall. On point 2... my first point become moot if a few teams act a fool. JJ Watt was worth nowhere near what he got. Confounding.

Reading about convos between Brady camp and Bucs during last year's FAcy, where GM/HC were surprised how much Brady knew about their players, made me wonder.

As the Patriots begin talking with FAs, how do Pats answer when they're undoubtedly asked: "who's your QB this season?"

1. We don't know yet - see ya
2. We have a plan but can't share it - see ya
3. We've identified several potential QBs between FA, trades, and .... - see ya
4. Our Plan A is to wait until JG is released by 9ers & Plan... - see ya
5. Listen just repeat after me: "In Bill we Trust" - OK Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots