PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Trent Brown nor Nate Solder were "average" Olinemen. Mankins wasn't garbage when he left the Patriots.

Your evaluations leave a lot to be desired. BTW, in the 1st couple games, Newton was getting the ball out in 2.1 seconds.. That timing isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Timing with accuracy is the key. You disagree that Elite QB doesn't make the game easier for OLine?

Also Brady has made ave Olinemen look elite. Trent Brown and Nate Soldier stand out.

To a lesser extent Logan Mankins was viewed as a HOF caliber guard but was garbage when he left the pats.

Not saying he wasn't great, but having a QB that keeps safeties out of the box makes the run game easier, and having a QB thelat releases it on ave in 2.4 secs makes pass protection easy as well.

Brown was great that year as the season went on. When he has played for the raiders he has been solid but he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. That year in 2018 our OL dominated in the playoffs. Brady hardly got touched and we ran the ball well.

Brown was great that year as the season went on. When he has played for the raiders he has been solid but he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. That year in 2018 our OL dominated in the playoffs. Brady hardly got touched and we ran the ball well.
Agreed, Brown was great. Playing with an elite QB helps though

The problem here is the $4.6M in remaining guaranteed salaries. If I were running the Titans, getting that salary off the books would sound like a win even for no trade compensation at all.

Good call. The fact that TEN lose 6.4M cap by just cutting him could make this a dump for a better value pick kind of deal.
4.6M gtd is a bit steep for such reclamation even if Pats can easily afford it.

Also Brady has made ave Olinemen look elite. Trent Brown and Nate Soldier stand out.

To a lesser extent Logan Mankins was viewed as a HOF caliber guard but was garbage when he left the pats.

Not saying he wasn't great, but having a QB that keeps safeties out of the box makes the run game easier, and having a QB thelat releases it on ave in 2.4 secs makes pass protection easy as well.
I think you're underselling Mankins, but there's no doubt in my mind that Brady made Donovan Smith look a lot better this year.

Milano, Judon, Wilson (titans) , Curtis Samuel, Casey ... Address the rest via draft /udfa.

This is Wilson up close...you can't see my son who was 8 reaching up for the high 5.
Screenshot_20210225-224417_Video Player.jpg

Justin Herron should be Nobody's idea of an adequate backup to Wynn at LT...Just sayin'...

You would think if Wilson could turn it around anywhere it would be NE where former teamates Wynn and Michel, and fellow Georgia lineman Andrews (if he stays). I have no idea how or why he went off the rails, but he did. You really have to question his desire to play football.

On the other hand, he is only 22, and has the ability. The Titans would love to trade him because cutting him would result in a $6.4 million increase in his salary cap with $9 million of that dead money. If they trade him it is only a $1.8 million dollar increase in his cap hit and $4.4 million in dead money.

So it all depends on wether they are ready to dump him (and it sounds like they are). You really have to make a bad impression as a first round pick to not play and the team to want to dump you for pennies on the dollar.

This is where you have to go to Wynn (Wynn was a starter in 2017 and Wilson was a redshirt playing on the scout team) and see if you can get a feel of what he is like and if he can turn it around. Wilson is from the north (Brooklyn) so playing in NE wouldn't be out of his element.

We have someone to back-up Wynn in Herron. What we need is a starting RT since Eluemenor is likely gone. Whether that's Onwenu or Herron remains to be seen. They also have Cajuste and Cunningham, though they are unknowns. I wouldn't mind them drafting one of the names or picking up Wilson to put in the mix at RT.
Cousin, The better option might be Orlando Brown Jr. of the Ravens. He is adament about playing LT and the Ravnes want him at RT. I proposed a trade of our RT Cannon and a 4th or 5th for the younger Brown. There are better CAP rewards for us as well with Cannon at $9.5mm. Wynn might be a better RT.
DW Toys

This I wouldn't mind. If Gilmore wants out, trade him for equal player value, not a pick. Given Bill's history the last 6-7 years, I don't have any confidence he will be able to find a player that matches Gilmore's production.

However, Pats need a QB first.
Great, let's blow 16 million of our cap on a head case coming off a major leg injury.

Absolutely no thanks.

Cousin, The better option might be Orlando Brown Jr. of the Ravens. He is adament about playing LT and the Ravnes want him at RT. I proposed a trade of our RT Cannon and a 4th or 5th for the younger Brown. There are better CAP rewards for us as well with Cannon at $9.5mm. Wynn might be a better RT.
DW Toys
I proposed the same thing in my thread about a week or two ago. Cannon + 3rd/4th and for Brown and move Wynn to RT.

We need a DW special from out of space cuz

Timing with accuracy is the key. You disagree that Elite QB doesn't make the game easier for OLine?
No. I disagree with your ridiculous evaluations of the O-line players..

Justin Herron should be Nobody's idea of an adequate backup to Wynn at LT...Just sayin'...
Maybe if you actually watched the games you'd have seen that Herron was significantly better than Eleumenor at LT. That when Wynn was out and Herron was there, he was only a small step down from Wynn. That's what you expect from a back-up.

Maybe if you actually watched the games you'd have seen that Herron was significantly better than Eleumenor at LT. That when Wynn was out and Herron was there, he was only a small step down from Wynn. That's what you expect from a back-up.
Agreed. Herron was a find last year who went under the radar because Onwenu was REALLY a find!

I proposed the same thing in my thread about a week or two ago. Cannon + 3rd/4th and for Brown and move Wynn to RT.

We need a DW special from out of space cuz
I doubt this will do it. I think Cannon does not have the biggest trade value for them, a third might be neccesary maybe even more

Agreed. Herron was a find last year who went under the radar because Onwenu was REALLY a find!

Also, any rookie who earned playing time at all in a season that had basically no offseason deserves some credit. And given the Patriots track record of developing OL, and the jumps they typically make in years 2 and 3, it's not far fetched at all to think Herron's floor should be the swing tackle.

I'd like to have solid options for the two starter positions so we're not relying on Herron to take a leap any bigger than that though. Whether that's re-signing Thuney (or finding an adequate guard replacement) to keep Onwenu at RT, or finding a new RT and moving Onwenu to fill in Thuneys spot doesn't matter to me (all up to where BB thinks the opportunities are). But if Herron ends up as T#3 this year, I'll be fine with it.

I doubt this will do it. I think Cannon does not have the biggest trade value for them, a third might be neccesary maybe even more
Cannon + 3rd + 6th ... I'd go 5th bc it's the Ravens and to put a good offer out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes