PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Post news regarding Free Agency for the 2021 Free Agency period here. Can be league-wide news and/or Patriots-related news. Rumors are fine as long as it's not from some guy like "Spike King" or whatever the hell. Consider the source.

**DO NOT start yet another round of "Brady vs. Belichick" here - there are many other more appropriate places for that, and it's been a year already. You will be removed from this thread if you venture too deeply towards that territory. People want to come here to read the latest news and discussion about it, not bicker over the same old thing.**

Kicking things off - I saw a few places talking about Carolina making some moves to make cap space. Think they are around $30m right now. They've been discussed as a Deshaun Watson suitor.

It made me think about Teddy Bridgewater. If they trade for Watson, they would naturally want to move Bridgewater. He is 29 years old with 2 years remaining on his deal. Trading him clears about $12m in cap space for Carolina. From what I can tell, he would cost NE about $17m in 2021 and has no guaranteed money in 2022, so if they also target a rookie who is ready in Year 2 or if he just doesn't work out, they can move on without any issue. Bridgewater is not elite but is good enough IMO. Allows NE to become more favorable to offensive pieces (besides straight cash) in Free Agency if they can get him before it opens. Doesn't break the bank. Interesting thought!

It made me think about Teddy Bridgewater. If they trade for Watson, they would naturally want to move Bridgewater. He is 29 years old with 2 years remaining on his deal. Trading him clears about $12m in cap space for Carolina. From what I can tell, he would cost NE about $17m in 2021 and has no guaranteed money in 2022, so if they also target a rookie who is ready in Year 2 or if he just doesn't work out, they can move on without any issue. Bridgewater is not elite but is good enough IMO. Allows NE to become more favorable to offensive pieces (besides straight cash) in Free Agency if they can get him before it opens. Doesn't break the bank. Interesting thought!

Everyone knows CAR wants & should move on from Teddy & this ridiculous contract regardless . so it will be a hard sell to trade his contract to anyone unless its an Osweiler dump thing. Releasing him before league yr will be a tough pill to swallow giving them only 3M cap and 20M dead.
So a contract dump is a possibility since maybe they cant afford to wait June 2.

Bridgewater and a 2nd pick for a 6th f.e. would be something Pats could consider but still doubtful since 17M (10 guaranteed) is too much for a backup unless they are willing to start him. If not the Q is: is 2rd pick worth 10M cap?

Otherwise makes little sense since teams can get Trubisky in FA half price..

Last edited:
That's a tough sell for a guy who hasn't improved in 3 years and has been hurt. In his defense this past season, I think his skill position players might have been worse than ours, at least for significant stretches of the season. So some team might take the chance if they think they can surround him with better weapons.
I hope that BB is not planning to exhume Darnolds career. Even when he was healthy he completed too many passes to the wrong color jersey.

The Pats were worse with the exception of the ground game. Pats were 4th ranked and Jets 23rd ranked.

Gore 635 yds - 2 TDs
Harris 691 yds - 2 TDs

Crowder 699 yds - 6 TDs
Meyers 729 yds - 0 TDs

Perriman 505 yds - 3 TDs
Byrd 604 yds - 1 TD

Berrios 394 yds - 3 TDs
Harry 309 yds - 2 TDs

Herndon 287 yds - 3 TDs
Izzo 199 yds - 0 TDs

I would steer clear of Sam. Im in the minority, but Id much rather have Tribisky. Mitchell Trubisky Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I hope that BB is not planning to exhume Darnolds career. Even when he was healthy he completed too many passes to the wrong color jersey.

The Pats were worse with the exception of the ground game. Pats were 4th ranked and Jets 23rd ranked.

Gore 635 yds - 2 TDs
Harris 691 yds - 2 TDs

Crowder 699 yds - 6 TDs
Meyers 729 yds - 0 TDs

Perriman 505 yds - 3 TDs
Byrd 604 yds - 1 TD

Berrios 394 yds - 3 TDs
Harry 309 yds - 2 TDs

Herndon 287 yds - 3 TDs
Izzo 199 yds - 0 TDs

I would steer clear of Sam. Im in the minority, but Id much rather have Tribisky. Mitchell Trubisky Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Oh 100%, I'm not a Darnold guy AT ALL. I was more talking that some team might view him in that lens. I hope it's not the Pats.

Everyone knows CAR wants & should move on from Teddy & this ridiculous contract regardless . so it will be a hard sell to trade his contract to anyone unless its an Osweiler dump thing. Releasing him before league yr will be a tough pill to swallow giving them only 3M cap and 20M dead.
So a contract dump is a possibility since maybe they cant afford to wait June 2.

Bridgewater and a 2nd pick for a 6th f.e. would be something Pats could consider but still doubtful since 17M (10 guaranteed) is too much for a backup unless they are willing to start him. If not the Q is: is 2rd pick worth 10M cap?

Yes, I don't think he's worth that full $17m but it's not an insane leap over his actual value (probably around $10m) and you can make the trade for a low cost and before FA opens. The thought of getting a decent pick back hadn't really occurred to me. I think he is more proven than someone like Mariota though Mariota has higher upside and a lower 2021 cost - Mariota's escalators in his contract wouldn't hit til '22 due to being NLTBE.

I assume that Carolina would send draft picks and some players. The players would offset some of Watson's cap hit. Not sure how the Texans would replace Watson - McCaffery obviously would not do that.

Isn't that similar to what the Pats did when they included Vrabel in the Matt Cassel trade?

I assume that Carolina would send draft picks and some players. The players would offset some of Watson's cap hit. Not sure how the Texans would replace Watson - McCaffery obviously would not do that.

The Texans would also be getting #8. So they'd take one of the Top 5 QBs that's been talked about. Personally, I don't think Watson is worth that much, but if Carolina does, more power to them. I'd rather have Watson out of the AFC and making it harder for NFC teams than seeing him every other year or so.

Theoretically they could include Bridgewater but not sure if Houston would want that. Could be similar to the Stafford-Goff trade - a couple firsts for Watson and then another pick to accommodate Houston for taking on Bridgewater's deal. That deal isn't nearly as bad as Goff's though.

Not a Bridgewater Fan. They had Anderson Moore and Samuel all 3 would easy Start here at WR and they think they need better qb play and would be 8/9 wins. That makes me think they don't see much in Bridgewater. I admit he is better than some other vet FA but would may cost picks as well so i'd pass

This trade nets us a short-term improvement bridge QB (pun intended) and the 40th pick in exchange for some dead money. I make this move 11 times out of 10.

giphy.webp

I bet Brady could do more with this thread than Belichick could.

Evil-Laugh-GIF-Image-Download-6.gif

Theoretically they could include Bridgewater but not sure if Houston would want that. Could be similar to the Stafford-Goff trade - a couple firsts for Watson and then another pick to accommodate Houston for taking on Bridgewater's deal. That deal isn't nearly as bad as Goff's though.
When Carolina offered McCaffery they would have included Bridgewater as well if the Texans wanted Bridgewater. That is self-obvious as McCaffery is significantly more valuable than Bridgewater. If the Texans rejected McCaffery, than they rejected Bridgewater as well. That must be obvious to you, so without insulting you, I am not sure what your post means. A couple of firsts, leaving the Texans without a QB, is meaningless. We do not have to be a professional NFL GM to know that.

Last edited:
When Carolina offered McCaffery they would have included Bridgewater as well if the Texans wanted Bridgewater. That is self-obvious as McCaffery is significantly more valuable than Bridgewater. If the Texans rejected McCaffery, than they rejected Bridgewater as well. That must be obvious to you, so without insulting you, I am not sure what your post means. A couple of firsts, leaving the Texans without a QB, is meaningless. We do not have to be a professional NFL GM to know that.
You're assuming that the Texans wouldn't be getting the 8th overall pick. They're going to have their pick of a couple different QBs at that point. So, why would Bridgewater need to be included?

Sorry about that, I didn't realize a McCaffrey-related offer had already been made. Thanks for the insight there.

When does free agency start?

You're assuming that the Texans wouldn't be getting the 8th overall pick. They're going to have their pick of a couple different QBs at that point. So, why would Bridgewater need to be included?

The 8th overall pick in exchange for Watson? The 4th or 5th best QB in the 2021 draft should fill the whole losing Watson created? I must be missing something here as 2 + 2 is not equally 4.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize a McCaffrey-related offer had already been made. Thanks for the insight there.

Sure. It is widely reported so I assumed you knew that. Have a nice week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes