PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissett fell into your lap and you did squat with that.

Rivers fell into your lap and you did squat with that.

Now Wentz fell into your lap (after giving up a 3rd and a potential 1st) and he's damaged goods.

As usual, Colts are great at running their mouth, not so great on the field.

Good for us, one less team looking to move up at QB, at least this season...

Andrew Luck also fell into their lap and they did squat with that. They deliberately tanked when Peyton Manning’s career was in doubt (the Suck for Luck strategy), only to chase their new franchise QB out of football after only six seasons. Left them high and dry at the end of the preseason. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.

Giants mis-reading the market blah blah blah

Won't hear that from Barnwell, he's a Giants butt boy.
They gave some big contracts. If it doesn't work i don't think the gm is in the hot seat. They gotta protect Jones better and block for SB better.
That, plus AB, and that little incident at Orchid Gardens...

Good. We already have one failing qb reclamation project, we don't need two.

Confirms Pats paid two starting centers :)
Unfortunatelly full contract hits the cap (minus TOP 51 rule)
Nevermimnd, nothing too drastic and brings lots of security at IOL and possibly saves a roster spot later..

It wouldn’t even surprise me if, to cap off the strangest 18 month stretch in my 40 years, Jarrett Stidham wins the QB1 gig and plays lights out. Of course it’s far-fetched and ridiculous...but have you been watching the past year-plus worth of upside down happen?

It wouldn’t even surprise me if, to cap off the strangest 18 month stretch in my 40 years, Jarrett Stidham wins the QB1 gig and plays lights out. Of course it’s far-fetched and ridiculous...but have you been watching the past year-plus worth of upside down happen?
This would be great for my Stidham autograph collection.
He was my admitted second binkie in that draft behind Drew Lock.
I still think Lock will be a star.
He is as talented as any QB in the first round of this draft.
Davis Mills reminds me of a Stidham with a higher ceiling I wouldn’t hate that pick.

Nevermimnd, nothing too drastic and brings lots of security at IOL and possibly saves a roster spot later..

Andrew Luck also fell into their lap and they did squat with that. They deliberately tanked when Peyton Manning’s career was in doubt (the Suck for Luck strategy), only to chase their new franchise QB out of football after only six seasons. Left them high and dry at the end of the preseason. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.
Yeah, I gotta say that whole era was terrible. Suck for a year, use the #1 overall to pick a generational QB talent, then do next to nothing to protect him, stand by watching him getting pounded into the ground till his body and soul was crushed, all this was an incredibly bad job on their part. Their owner getting busted driving around stoned with a briefcase full of cash and pills was par for the course. Personally I don't think things will change for the better for them till Irsay is out of the picture totally. Fine by me, let them continue to stumble...

I know this has been argued a bunch (and won't derail the thread too much...) but I'm not sure their tank job was as deliberate as people think. Sure, they didn't do much to improve the team once it was clear they weren't going anywhere, but what you had was a roster that was constructed 100% around having a Peyton Manning level QB to make it function. The offense was all about the precision passing game, with little to help a lesser QB find his footing, and the defense was all about having a lead and pinning their ears back against offenses they knew had to pass. Once teams starting getting leads on them, they had no chance.

Reactions: sb1
Add 1M from Chung's likely post June 1 release designation.
Brown could have even more NLTBE with both playing time & team/personal achievements qualifying.
Karras will be interesting: if reports chronology is true they signed him as starter but now have him as backup. Will this have effect in his contract?

Id have them closer to 15M but doesn't make much difference since they have plenty of cap left in restructures, extensions, cuts
There’s really not as much extra space to be had as we might believe. There really are not that many players with sizeable Paragraph 5 salaries to easily be converted to bonuses or guarantees and lower their cap charges

Gilmore is not playing for $7 million. If traded, they save $7 million. But, extending him with a raise might not lower his cap figure much because I don’t think the extension would be that long considering his age.

Mccourty’s contract already voids after this year and would not be an easy extension. This is the final year of the Hightower’s contract. The only players who could be easily redone would be Mason and J. Jones.

I know this has been argued a bunch (and won't derail the thread too much...) but I'm not sure their tank job was as deliberate as people think. Sure, they didn't do much to improve the team once it was clear they weren't going anywhere, but what you had was a roster that was constructed 100% around having a Peyton Manning level QB to make it function. The offense was all about the precision passing game, with little to help a lesser QB find his footing, and the defense was all about having a lead and pinning their ears back against offenses they knew had to pass. Once teams starting getting leads on them, they had no chance.

The starting QB was Curtis Painter. The backup QB was Dan Orlovsky. They went 0-14 and secured the #1 pick. Then they started Orlovsky and won both of their last 2 games and finished 2-14. When Curtis Painter left the field after their 14th game, he never played an NFL down again. When Curtis Painter left the field after their 16th game, it was the last time he made an NFL roster. Dan Orlovsky went on to be a backup (2nd QB) for a few teams for several more years.

Curtis Painter is probably the worst QB I've ever seen in the NFL, rivaling only Nathan Peterman and Scott Secules.

I would bet my life that the Colts believed that a team QB'd by Orlovsky the whole year would have put them out of the Luck sweepstakes.

They paid them less than people wanted them to pay Andrews. They get a c and a backup at all 3 IOL spots for less than many teams are paying just for a c.

Only 1 out of 50 Americans can earn as much working 40 years as David Andrews will make in 4
He can hike a football, though. I just use my time trying to identify new anti-cancer drugs! ;)

He can hike a football, though. I just use my time trying to identify new anti-cancer drugs! ;)
I was told about 2 years ago by a cancer surgeon that within the next 10 years there will be a cancer vaccine.

Getting Andrew Luck would put this team in contention for a SB run. He's still only like 30/31. The OL is good. The RB's are at least average. The WR corps needs another game breaker and the TE's are set. The D looks top 10. He'd be foolish to not at least consider coming here.

Getting Andrew Luck would put this team in contention for a SB run. He's still only like 30/31. The OL is good. The RB's are at least average. The WR corps needs another game breaker and the TE's are set. The D looks top 10. He'd be foolish to not at least consider coming here.
He’s under contract to the colts

He’s under contract to the colts
...and they added Wentz. I know he's not a FA but he's affordable and could be bored if he's now fully healthy. This is the ONE team he should consider if the price is right. It's likely a pipe dream (like still waiting for Megatron or Barry Sanders to unretire) but if there's a chance BB pounces on it.

...and they added Wentz. I know he's not a FA but he's affordable and could be bored if he's now fully healthy. This is the ONE team he should consider if the price is right. It's likely a pipe dream (like still waiting for Megatron or Barry Sanders to unretire) but if there's a chance BB pounces on it.
I don’t think the colts would agree to trade him to us for any price that isn’t ridiculous

Yeah. It makes no sense that they would lose games on purpose to get the 1st overall pick - I mean the guys who would be responsible for ordering something like that were all fired anyway so what did they get out of it? And it would have been leaked and the NFL would have investigated and the punishment would have been severe. That's why no team does that.

The 2011 Colts really were that terrible without Peyton Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes