PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardale Jones and Haskins weren't even supposed to be playing, they had people ahead of them.

I disregard talk of Pryor since he was an option QB. Urban Meyer has liked those types since tim Tebow.

I think all this is irrelevant under the current OSU coach.

One could easily ask who came out of Florida that was any good under Meyer?
Fair enough Cosuin, but there has actually never been a successful Ohio State QB in the NFL.
Don't know why. They have been Woody Hays..ed
DW Toys

What I take from those Bourne highlights is how much a better passer all those Niners QBs were than Newton last season.
But how Jimmy G had superior zip and quick release than his fellow QBs.
Shouldn’t of let him get away.
I see why BB wants him back im not convinced BB is ready to say die on this trade.
If Jimmy was here the last few seasons, this whole board would be up in arms over the amount of money we are paying to a guy made of glass. We’d all be arguing over his trade value and which guy the team should trade up for to replace ‘em. They HAD to let him get away.

Jets doing some good moves.
I like their off-season so far.

Really? Rankins has the name recognition but hasn’t been productive, when he isn’t injured over the past couple of years. We don’t know the details of the contract but on the face of it that seems like a lot of money for recent below average play, especially beyond the first wave of signings.
I don’t disagree with taking a chance that he will return to his pre-injury level of play, but I thought that he would be cheaper.

Last edited:
I don’t really see the need or fit for Amendola. I think we essentially need a good version of nkeal harry. Big body possession receiver. Think we’re good on the slot small guys

I don’t really see the need or fit for Amendola. I think we essentially need a good version of nkeal harry. Big body possession receiver. Think we’re good on the slot small guys
Josh Reynolds would be a solid bargain signing or trade for Michael Gallup.

Also Fournette is still out there.
Fournette and Harris would be a heck of a run game.

I would look at Gilmore and JC Jackson long term Extension first. Idk we probably need to clear some cap before going for rb then but I am not sure since we still don't know some contracts

Maybe as a WR coach but he's not going to beat out anyone in the current WR rotation. They need a legit #1 not another Bourne/Amendola type.
The Patriots started their dynasty without a "legit #1". They had a #2 and a #3 and a #4 with marginal TE help. Even in 2003, they didn't have a "Legit #1" They had 2 #2s and 2 #3s. An argument can be made that Branch established himself as a #1 and Givens as a #2 in 2004. But it wasn't until 2007 with the addition of Moss that the Pats had a "legit #1." And we only got to the big game ONCE with him. And he disappeared in that game along with the entire offense.

And, I'll be honest. They'd be better off getting someone like Waddle, Smith, Chase, or Moore in the draft than adding anyone that's still available in FA.

I would look at Gilmore and JC Jackson long term Extension first. Idk we probably need to clear some cap before going for rb then but I am not sure since we still don't know some contracts
I don't think that extending Gilmore wouldn't cost any cap money.

I don't think that extending Gilmore wouldn't cost any cap money.
I am not certain if I get this right. You think a Gilmore Extension wouldn't or would Cost any money ? And i have not much cap knowledge so can you explain how

I am not certain if I get this right. You think a Gilmore Extension wouldn't or would Cost any money ? And i have not much cap knowledge so can you explain how
It all depends on structure. For example, a $20M option at the beginning of Year 2 would count against the 2021. Also, $3M of his salary can be moved forward. It is not as an easy a situation as most, but there are methods. Also, the team could restucture Mason's contract to come up with some cap money. There may be others.

I agree that extending Jackson and Gilmore have a higher priority than signing a RB. The issue is which needs to be done more quickly. The extensions can wait. If we are to sign a RB, I think that it needs to be done soon. As a side issue, I suspect that we are considering re-signing McCourty or even Guy. In any case, the decisions will be made soon.

It all depends on structure. For example, a $20M option at the beginning of Year 2 would count against the 2021. Also, $3M of his salary can be moved forward. It is not as an easy a situation as most, but there are methods. Also, the team could restucture Mason's contract to come up with some cap money. There may be others.
Maybe HT extension could save some money this year and give us a good vet LB beyond 2021. One or the other could be cut like lacosse vitale spence.
I agree that extending Jackson and Gilmore have a higher priority than signing a RB. The issue is which needs to be done more quickly. The extensions can wait. If we are to sign a RB, I think that it needs to be done soon. As a side issue, I suspect that we are considering re-signing McCourty or even Guy. In any case, the decisions will be made soon.
Yeah this makes sense, guy a rb and extending Gilmore and jc Jackson would be nice.

Not sure if Fournette will respond well to splitting carries with Harris and Sony. Tampa almost cut him late in the season bc he was walking around with the Brady 2019 resting pout-face. Duke Johnson is on my short list of targets, if White heads elsewhere.

I mean Mills has like 11 career starts so I'm not sure where you're coming up with "years of first read training".

Most INT's are a result of coverage and forcing the ball to late options.

Also I disagree about the "Fields can't scan a field" or "go through progressions" takes. He's not perfect but tasked with running the most complex offense out of the big names. In which a lot of time he's waiting on his targets to declare vs w/e coverage they're facing. Not easy and the point there is it's not all on him. If everyone else isn't doing their job it makes his a lot harder.

He ran that offense pretty well and it's not like that's the only one he can run. Or he can't grow, improve.

Fields and Haskins ran two different offenses.
Question for you.
Im a big buckeye fan. Love Fields as a buckeye but was always concerned he was a great college qb that didn’t translate to the nfl and looks better than he is because of talent/scheme making it easy. Like Troy Smith, Cardale Jones, Barrett and Haskins. He was clearly better than the first 3 but Haskins was ridiculous and clearly that didn’t translate.
What do you think about Fields adjusting from having a lot of wide open receivers to throw to, to needing to fit the ball into tight windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News