PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

Still don't get why it matters so much whether a tackle plays on the left or right. I get it.
Do you get it?

Perhaps we should play Onwenu at LT for a couple of preseason games in order to focus this issue better. In those games, we might play Wynn at RT. That should be sight to see.

Do you get it?

Perhaps we should play Onwenu at LT for a couple of preseason games in order to focus this issue better. In those games, we might play Wynn at RT. That should be sight to see.
I don’t think I would like that

So whose salary are the Saints planning to dump after this season to pay for his 2022 salary? Brees will still be on the books for $11.5M...

And they can free up money with Michael Thomas ($9M), Andrus Peat ($6M), Cameron Jordan ($8M), Demario Davis ($4M), David Onyemata ($3m), and Malcom Jenkins ($3M) just by converting Salary to Signing Bonus..

They can convert Ramcyzk's 2022 salary and Roster Bonus to Signing bonus and free up another $14.4M.

They can cut Jenkins, and Onyemata outright to save $7.6M instead of the $6M I mentioned.

So, that is 47.4M-$49M they free up. Either with cuts or pushing money into 2023 and beyond when the Cap is expected to go UP significantly due to the new TV deals.

They can also free up money by signing Marcus Davenport to an extension instead of his 5th year option..

(NOTE: These are just ballpark figures based on current contracts and NOT adding any years to contracts)

Do you get it?

I look at it like this...on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) I see Wynn as a 7 at LT but think he could probably be an 8-9 at LG. I still think he should play LT because that's such an important position and he plays well there. I hate the idea of him playing at RT...IMO I think he will get hurt there....faster. I think it's a little out of his comfort zone and may contribute to possibly more injuries.

Onwenu on the other hand can play anywhere at a very high level until proven otherwise.

I look at it like this...on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) I see Wynn as a 7 at LT but think he could probably be an 8-9 at LG. I still think he should play LT because that's such an important position and he plays well there. I hate the idea of him playing at RT...IMO I think he will get hurt there....faster. I think it's a little out of his comfort zone and may contribute to possibly more injuries.

Onwenu on the other hand can play anywhere at a very high level until proven otherwise.
I don't recall Wynn distinguishing himself in his play at LG/

I don't recall Wynn distinguishing himself in his play at LG/

"Wynn's short, stout, powerful build and mobility make his NFL future at guard, but his versatility has helped him meet the team's need at left tackle. He was a second-team All-American and first-team All-SEC selection in 2017, starting all 15 games on the outside to lead the way for the team's excellent running backs and protect freshman quarterback Jake Fromm. Wynn was a four-star recruit and top-10 guard prospect nationally out of Lakewood High School in St. Petersburg, Florida before joining the Bulldogs. He played in 11 games as a true freshman, starting once as a second tight end. Wynn began his sophomore year at the left guard spot, starting eight games there before moving over one spot to his left for the remaining five games. The transfer of Tyler Catalina from Western Carolina to Georgia forced Wynn to slide back to the left guard spot in 2016, where he started 12 times (missing one game due to injury)."

Do you get it?

What? Onwenu would fail at LT because he has no experience there. That's an entirely separate issue. The topic I brought up should be able to be discussed without any specific players because it's purely about abstract positional value.

It would actually be relevant to my point if he were equally skilled at LT/RT. Also, are you aware Wynn didn't look that bad on the right side when we briefly tried him there before his rookie injury?

Another thing I don't understand about what point you're trying to make is whether you believe moving Onwenu to LT is something I'd actually want. If you read my posts correctly, you'd find it's the opposite. I want our OL playing in spots of comfort. Moving Onwenu to LT would be exactly the opposite of my strategy because it's forcing a square peg into a round hole because he's our "best" OL being forced into the "most important" OL spot.

Let's not forget all of this originated as a way for me to justify why Wynn at LT and Brown at RT is the correct move.

Last edited:
Let's not forget all of this originated as a way for me to justify why Wynn at LT and Brown at RT is the correct move.
I agree

Let me use fewer words to state my position
==============================
Some players are significantly better at LT than RT and vice versa.

Also, some players are better at LT than LG.

Who needs Melvin Ingram when we have Dee Wise?

Who needs Melvin Ingram when we have Dee Wise?

I understand your concern, but Ingram is 32, was released, and the Chiefs and Dolphins were low balling him (before the Steelers signed him) for a reason. Signing 32 year olds based on past performance is not a recipe for success.

I understand your concern, but Ingram is 32, was released, and the Chiefs and Dolphins were low balling him (before the Steelers signed him) for a reason. Signing 32 year olds based on past performance is not a recipe for success.
I may be the minority but I would of rather signed Ingram for low money and use the cap in the secondary or the WR then to throw a brinks truck at Judon.
Again nothing against Judon I think he will be a really good player for us i just prefer to spread the cap around.

I may be the minority but I would of rather signed Ingram for low money and use the cap in the secondary or the WR then to throw a brinks truck at Judon.
Again nothing against Judon I think he will be a really good player for us i just prefer to spread the cap around.

Based on your past posts, I am guessing that "in the secondary or the WR" might be code for "a WR". :whistle: :rofl:

Based on your past posts, I am guessing that "in the secondary or the WR" might be code for "a WR". :whistle: :rofl:
Lol my favorite all time player is Ty Law.
If it costs us losing Gilmore or Jackson to have Judon vs Ingram even at 32 then it wasn’t worth it.
Terrified what this secondary could look like next season.

If it costs us losing Gilmore or Jackson to have Judon vs Ingram even at 32 then it wasn’t worth it.

Valid concern. I am guessing Gilmore and D McC are back for 2022, and we have a couple young corners and a young free safety training for a year. Not sure I see a D McC backup on the team right now. But we might also need a OT in 2022, so we will see.

Hope that makes you feel better.

Valid concern. I am guessing Gilmore and D McC are back for 2022, and we have a couple young corners and a young free safety training for a year. Not sure I see a D McC backup on the team right now. But we might also need a OT in 2022, so we will see.

Hope that makes you feel better.
I know Scar isn’t here but this team has done a good job putting together good o lines year after year.

Judon won't cost us Gilmore. If BB thinks Gilmore is worth the $$, he's got the $$.

And yes, I'd rather have Judon coming into his prime for 4 years than a 32-year-old Ingram. judon fits the BB DE size/scheme to a tee. When you look at the other signings, it's pretty clear that BB is setting the Pats up for a run here, probably not for this year, but for next and the couple after that.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back